1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Re-rating: Bells Two Hearted

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rvajohn, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rvajohn

rvajohn Savant (255) Virginia Nov 22, 2012

This used to be one of my favorite beers, by a long shot. I don't know if the ones I have in my fridge are old. But I know they don't taste nearly as good as I thought they did, before I got to try some Zombie, Heady & Pliny recently through some trades.
    I'm kind of bummed now that the easily accessible two hearted is not nearly as good as these other gems out there.

Centennial and dman5400 like this.
  2. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Thanks for letting us know.

CUE45, MrDave, CassinoNorth and 29 others like this.
  3. Well I am sad to report that you are wrong Two Hearted is amazing and will be forever clearly you were given a bottle of bud light with a Two Hearted Lable... Happens all the time, do not worry... send the rest to me and I will do my best to get to the bottom of this!

tdmccarthy, ScottyG, joelwlcx and 4 others like this.
  4. rvajohn

You're welcome. Thanks for reading. I feel better now that I was able to get that out.

siege06nd and draheim like this.
  5. rvajohn

It smells kind of funky and just doesn't taste like I remember. How long would one have to sit to develop a taste that is noticeably worse than normal?

Centennial likes this.
  6. None of the beers you mentioned are the same style as 2 hearted, the same price point or distribution; so just wondering how it's an apples to apples comparison.

7. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

Well, that's all relative, isn't it? You tell us. How long would one have to sit to develop a taste that is noticeably worse than normal?

8. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

I think this is becoming a problem within the community. Damn it, just because something isnt as good as Pliny/Heady/FlavorOfTheMonth, doesnt mean it isnt an extrordinary/world class brew.

9. fmccormi

Regardless, tastes change. Some of my favorite hop-forward beers include Heady, Double Jack, Palate Wrecker, Jai Alai, Flower Power, and Two Hearted. In fact, I think Two Hearted might be the best "single" IPA I've had (when fresh).

10. fmccormi

Unrelated note, I really like your avatar. The American Bison rocks.

rvajohn likes this.
  11. Jaycase

Jaycase Advocate (740) Illinois Jan 13, 2007

It clearly states on the back label the date of bottling.

[​IMG]

beerloserLI, JxExM and match1112 like this.
  12. rvajohn

They are all beer. I wasn't comparing the beers in regards to being the same style, I was comparing based on what one of my favorite beers tasted like against other recent beers I has not had before

13. rvajohn

I'll check that, but I really don't know the reasonable shelf life for this beer. I'm still learning.

14. I guess you miss the whole point of implied.

15. rvajohn

I agree, that's why I wondered why this one didn't taste good. Bottled on 08-17-2012. I hadn't thought to check or knew what a reasonable shelf life for this beer would be. A hunch tells me, this is old. I'm learning and becoming more aware of a lot of things since joining BA

terrapinfan88 and fmccormi like this.
  16. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

I just recently had a Two Hearted Ale for the first time and I can say as someone who wasn't an IPA fan that this beer was great. Literally to the point the I was craving another and had no more. So if this is a sub par example of this beer then I really missed the boat on something great.

17. rvajohn

implied or assumed?

18. I believe this beer has a 4 month "shelfe Life" Obviously it is still ok to drink after that but the flavor is not going to be what it was intended to be.... It is all relative to personal taste.... to me this is one beer that I do believe actualy is very consistent for at least 3 months and it gets a bit weaker after that but to get a funny taste that you describe it would probably have to be a year plus at which point no IPA should be consumed

rvajohn likes this.
  19. Jaycase

Jaycase Advocate (740) Illinois Jan 13, 2007

20. Following the packaging date is a letter.
    A, B and C to denote six months, twelve months and unlimited respectively.
    In the case of your Two Hearted Ale, the code is an "A", so they are putting the shelf life at 6 months.

Personally, I would try to drink it before 3 months...IMO

rvajohn likes this.
  21. MichiBrew

MichiBrew Aficionado (170) Michigan Nov 26, 2010

Woah what? Hmmm...Two Hearted is best consumed fresh and is an IPA...not a pale ale or a DIPA...Hopslam would be a better comparison to PtE and HT...Zombie Dust is in a pale ale category of its own...

22. 5 months old is about 4 months too long!

Gosox8787 and fmccormi like this.
  23. Thank you, Prometheus.

24. I wish we got Bell's in MA, love to try some TH

25. I hadnt had two hearted in a while so I bought some a while ago, I think it may have been a couple months old but I dont think it was too old. Before I could drink it the minikegs came around and I bought one of them. Then I had a bottle and I was not enjoying it much at all, it was sweet and reminded me of Lagunitas (I like Lagunitas and all, but you know). I was worried about the minikeg but once I tried it it was like a different beer, and it was the delicious two hearted I remembered. Anyway Im just saying Ive had it taste very different, so maybe try a batch you know is fresh and see whats up.

26. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Bell's has made their beers idiot proof. Really. They implemented a very handy letter code to their bottle dating...
    A = 6 months
    B = 12 months
    C = Beyond
    However, I think they failed by leaving the 1-3 group unexplained. A beer like Two Hearted is definitely better when consumed within 3 months...

27. bastu

bastu Savant (280) Tennessee May 5, 2011

I'll only buy a six pack of two hearted if it is less than a month old. Any older is a pass for me.

28. fmccormi

Bingo. It's fine when it's a couple months old or beyond, but aim for under a month if you can find it—then, I'm guessing, it'll be just as good as you remembered it being.

tectactoe and Bitter_Echo like this.
  29. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

I'd invite the King of Two Hearted, kzoobrew, to comment.

I've had the privilege of having a ton of Two-hearted. All strongly-hopped beers are best consumed very fresh, however I feel some hold up to the brewer's original intent longer than others.

Two-hearted is not one of those beers, in my opinion. Super fresh two-hearted gets into the A+ category, but I've had plenty of older bottles that I thought were B+/B. The factor is almost always bottle date, which does create a conundrum when ordering on draft.

Founders' All-day IPA and Red's rye PA also fall into this category for me as well.

DanK4, fmccormi and Bitter_Echo like this.
  30. Last year I bought a case of Two Hearted when I bought my case of Hopslam. I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to doing the same just as soon as Shangy's gets its Hoplam shipment in this year.

31. I used to love Two Hearted, but over the course of the last few years I have come to the conclusion that it's complete garbage of an IPA. Bordering on undrinkable.

This is coming from someone who loves IPAs and loves almost all of Bell's lineup.

miketd and RobertColianni like this.
  32. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

As a general rule 3 mos max for some IPAs or 5-6 mos max for other IPAs depending on the bottling line in use at the brewery. But there's usually no way to tell that information without a) a visit to the brewery, or b) through experience with the beer, yours or someone else's (hence the value of reading reviews, etc.).

For example, while its not an IPA, in SEPA we're now getting Toeg's Nugget Nectar release showing up. I personally find that beer a bit harsh up to about two weeks after bottling. It then it smooths out, reaches its peak and holds there for about 6 weeks or so. Then the flavors begin to gradually fade and change and the malt emerges more strongly. I still enjoy Nugget Nectar at 3 mos, but for my tastes its best between 2 weeks and 2 months after bottling.

victory4me likes this.
  33. 'New and exciting' (Zombie, Heady & Pliny, etc.) with the resulting sensory overload you experience will trick your brain into wanting to compare to the 'now normal' sensory experience of the Two Hearted because your used to it. It just can't be done until you lay off of the Two Hearted for a couple years and then renew your experience all over again.

34. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (335) Florida Jan 26, 2012

ouch

35. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

I used to love Two Hearted as well, but have been severely let down the last several times I've had it. Not sure if they did something with the beer, my palate has changed, or if TH has been passed by other beers in the category. It's probably a combination, but whatever the reason, the result is me not buying it anymore.

36. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I love Citra hopped brews too, they are very distinctive in smell and taste. But trying to compare Citra brews and big DIPA's is apples to oranges. But I can always down a 2H Ale, it really is a very well made IPA, better on tap, but I have a fridge full for today's games.

37. Undrinkable: absolutely not. Average: yes. As I had more and more IPA's, I wondered why everyone has talked up Two Hearted as it was one of the first IPA's that I had. First impression was that it was good, but not great. Once more beer had come through, I realized that Two Hearted was just a starter IPA. That being said, at the time, IPA's were as popular as BA stout is today, if not more, so everyone was brewing the style and hitting it out of the park. The fact that we're spoiled with great IPA's is probably more the culprit than Two Hearted being bad, because to be frank, it's not. I had one last week after a solid year away from IPA's and swore I was in heaven for those fifteen minutes.
    They're all American IPA's regardless of sub-categorizing, so you're wrong.

38. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

2H is just a nicely balanced easy drinking IPA, it's not over the top anything, I also think Racer 5 is in this same class. Because your exposed and like other brews better doesn't diminish 2H in any way.

RobertColianni likes this.
  39. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

I appreciate the invitation.

I do drink a fair amount of Two Hearted, probably more than nearly anyone outside of Judy Sarkozy. It is always a very good beer, every once in a while it is mind blowingly spectacular. I had a pour yesterday at Bell's and it was so good it was conversation worthy. It is not often that Two Hearted is conversation worthy among regulars at Bell's. The aroma was perfect, dank and resinous. It was a beautiful thing, would match up against any IPA out there.

Two Hearted is best consumed with in the first month IMO. I believe it is still fantastic after but to really get the full effect it is best to drink it early. I feel the drop off from fresh to not so fresh is not as dramatic in Two Hearted than it is in many other IPAs. I will still buy three month old Two Hearted over a fair number of fresh IPAs.

To the OP, you are comparing Two Hearted to Pliny, Heady and Zombie Dust, that is not necessarily the best approach. First, Two Hearted is never going to be a DIPA and its never going to use any citra. Rate a beer on its own merits, do not base it on not being a beer it was never intended to be.

Jakers90, Thorpe429, DanK4 and 9 others like this.
  40. So your saying the distribution and price points are the exact same and there's only one category, that of American IPA at the GABF, interesting...thanks for the education.

Extravadanza likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.