1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Re-rating: Bells Two Hearted

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rvajohn, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foamfollower

Foamfollower Initiate (0) Illinois Jul 28, 2004

Do we need a new name for this phenomenon? OneHopmanship? :)
  2. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Two Hearted, Zombie Dust, and Heady Topper are fine beers.
    rvajohn likes this.
  3. rvajohn

rvajohn Aficionado (245) Virginia Nov 22, 2012

I'm not comparing them in regards to the style of beer they are. I could basically say NY Strip is my favorite food, but last week I had a great piece of rockfish. Now when I go back NY Strip doesn't taste as good. Did I get a bad cut of meat, or was that rockfish so good and I never had anything that good before, I didn't realize how non-spectacular NY Strip is?Rockfish isn't red meat, but I can still compare the two as food. That was my train of thought on the original post
    BeerIndustry22111 likes this.
  4. I didn't say anything about the price points or distribution, actually. Why? They have nothing to do with taste or style. The base of every one of those recipes is an IPA, albeit two produce more sugars which are fermentable and cause more alcohol once actually fermented. Level of alcohol/sugar/malt is the only difference between an IPA and DIPA, so again, you're wrong, except now I get to question your literacy considering you just documented your assessment of my previous statement and noted me saying something I didn't say. So...you're welcome for the education. The Caps suck.
  5. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

I love Two Hearted but I got some on tap at a bar the other night that was GOD AWFUL. I don't know if its been on tap for 6+ months or what, but it was the absolute worst tasting beer I've ever had in my entire life. I didn't smell it before I took a drink (first mistake), and when I did I immediately spit it out because it tasted like it was made with rotten, moldy hops covered in pepper. Smelled the same way too. My friend loves Two Hearted as well and said the same thing. I guess I'm not sure what would cause it to taste that foul. Anyone on here have any input into that?
  6. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Dirty lines maybe?
    hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  7. I've had PA, IPA, and DIPA that tasted like complete garbage on draft. I always ask the bar tender if he knows when the last pour was made. Sometimes they sit in lines for a couple of days and get a real shitty rubber/latex taste to them from not being in the cool keg, safe and because some guys don't bleed the line before pour. Heavier beers are more forgiving and can mask this deterioration so you wouldn't even think of it.
    GFG likes this.
  8. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Definitely the first bad one I've ever had on draft, especially that horrid tasting. But that makes sense. Thanks Robert!

Ps - Don't mean to rub it in, but I enjoyed the outcome of the game last night :D Go Wild!
  9. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Well-put.
  10. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

I'm going to chime in here too, only to repeat maybe everything above. Maybe all of this is a freshness issue; and while I can't get lots of what I see raved about on BA when super fresh (oh, and there are many tasty looking IPA's I'd like to have), but TH is something I can get fresh all the time. And why wouldn't I buy it? Like all good IPA's, it slays fresh. And what a treat it is to have something you can't stop going on about, and can have it whenever you want and is easily obtained. When I get bored, or simply feel unlucky about the things i've tried, it's great to have TH as one of my 'go to' beer; always there, always waiting, and always ready to deliver. If it isn't you're thing, then it isn't your thing.
    adamdd likes this.
  11. It's cool. The Avs usually start off well and fade, whereas the Wild usually start off poorly and get stronger with the exception of last season. Maybe we can reverse roles this year. It was close, so I'm glad, but we played a few really close games last year after y'all took that midseason dump and you guys still won, so I'm used to it. We should both fear Edmonton :( They'll own the league in two years.
    GFG likes this.
  12. I've always enjoyed 2 Hearted, but never considered putting it into the same bucket as Pliny, Zombie dust and other harder to get beers of the same style. It's probably my favorite regular release IPAs out there and always look forward to having it.
  13. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

Two hearted is highly overrated. A BA was kind enough to throw one in as an extra and I was intrigued because I had heard nothing but great things about it. Best way I could describe it was generic mediocrity in a bottle.
  14. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

ISO Rockfish that tastes better than NY Strip
    rvajohn likes this.
  15. rvajohn

rvajohn Aficionado (245) Virginia Nov 22, 2012

You're not going to find that 2,000 miles away from the ocean / Chesapeake Bay.
  16. pepsican

pepsican Savant (315) Iowa Nov 5, 2007

I'm with you. We routinely get it in the store when it's only about 2 weeks old, but it never quite dazzles like it did before. I used to love Two Hearted but I can barely finish a pint of it anymore and I'm not sure if it's me, the beer, or beer I've had since that has ruined it for me.
  17. adamdd

adamdd Savant (330) Michigan May 9, 2011

Props to the mayor for including a reference to Judy Sarkozy. For those unfamiliar with her story, her bakery burned down and she is working to rebuild it. Fun fact, Larry Bell worked at her bakery as one of his first jobs. She is fun to watch as she tosses back the Two Hearted. If they do another charity event, I'd like to see kzoobrew and her go head to head in a drinking contest.

I wasn't sure what to expect as a glass of beer was pushed towards my nose yesterday and follwed by "Smell this", but I agree that Kevin's beer yesterday did smell deliciously perfect. The hops were quite pronounced, and it almost convinced me to drink another beer. To me, fresh Two Hearted is IPA perfection.

Two Hearted may not be for everyone, but I don't believe that there is a better year around IPA available in Michigan.
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  18. kismet

kismet Aficionado (150) Illinois Sep 8, 2011

i bought a sixer of two hearted this past summer that was 2 months old...it tasted different than any other sixer i had consumed before. it had a definite flavor of dandelions...not necessarily bad, but not the same as the previous ones. maybe batches taste different, or maybe yours was just old. i wouldnt give up on it if you have liked it in the past.
  19. That's always been a problem (with certain segments) of this community.
  20. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (300) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

They are all great for different reasons, Two Hearted is incredibly smooth and creamy, I haven't had but maybe one other IPA example with the kinda same mouthfeel. Zombie dust is incredibly tropical and fruity, I've had plenty of beers similar and that is typically what I prefer. Pliny is great when I'm in the mood for resin and cat piss, I've had it as fresh as 3 days old.

(insert all 9 million not fresh enough comments here)

"Three days old?!?!:eek: you may as well have drain poured it!"

"It really falls off after 24 hours."

blah blah blah.

that style of IPA in general rates lower in drinkability not necessarily quality in my opinion still love Pliny its just not easy to get.

If Two Hearted were brewed with Citra my state would be one of many that most likely wouldn't get any of it, much less a seemingly endless supply. I imagine it would cost more to. It's hard to imagine not getting bells, I would be pretty butthurt if I couldn't get it.

Maybe look at it as being fortunate enough to experience so many very different
    hop profiles, rather than thinking less of any beer? ;)

Cheers!
  21. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

TWSS
  22. coltmil034

coltmil034 Aspirant (45) Missouri Oct 5, 2012

I just had it on draft for the first time ever up in STL, MO and it was awesome! Living in Texas I could only get bottles of it. Very happy to have finally had a pint or 30 on draft! Great brew!
  23. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

this is the right answer
  24. HumanParaquat

HumanParaquat Savant (385) Indiana Jun 23, 2011

Did you check the date on that steak?
    rvajohn likes this.
  25. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I'm about to give Two Hearted another try. Found some bottled July 10, so about 26 days ago. Is that fresh enough or do I need it to be less than 2 weeks old?
    nickapalooza86 likes this.
  26. 26 day old Two Hearted will be tasty! BUY IT!

Cheers!

P.S. It takes several months for Two Hearted to really drop off. I would purchase Two Hearted that was 2 months old for example.
  27. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (845) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I think the importance of freshness is a little bit overblown on this site, even for IPAs. Drink it, it will be tasty.
  28. Funny, I had two hearted before I had all the big boys, came back and loved it even more.
    fredmugs and Geuzedad like this.
  29. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Aged 2H is not a beer I enjoy, but still a favorite when fresh.

I say no older than two months, but three MIGHT be ok.
    rvajohn and utopiajane like this.
  30. I always loved Bells Two Hearted, because every time I drink one, I am always surprised how much kick it has for flavor.
    Geuzedad likes this.
  31. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

2 months is ideal - 3 months max for purchase.
  32. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Can I have the rest?
  33. Start drinking Pliny, Sculpin, Heady etc.. near everyday and you'll come back to it and appreciate it more for what it is.
    CassinoNorth and HopHeadHerman like this.
  34. JGLittle

JGLittle Savant (295) Massachusetts Mar 24, 2012

I have some on order that I hopefully will be delivered next week. Excited to try it.
  35. So are English Bitter and Barleywine the same style? After all, the only difference is the amount of ingredients.
  36. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

This remains one of the very best IPAs made. Its stock has of course gone down as it has become more and more available, but I'm hard pressed to name an IPA that is better. That puts it in a league with Blind Pig and Sculpin - very good company to be keeping.
  37. Tired of hearing folks bitch about IPAs not being as good as Pliny/Heady/Zombie/etc. "Good" is not a relevant standard for these beers. Some dominate your palate and some don't. This is my biggest beef with some people in the craft beer community, those who call themselves "snobs." They're simply being marketed-to. No judging criteria whatsoever. Don't forget, there are other important and equally serendipitous ingredients in a well crafted brew.
    GeezLynn and joelwlcx like this.
  38. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

Yes. Beer is an art form, and the brewer is the artist. What I hear too much about beer is like saying Animals as Leaders (progressive metal band) sucks because they don't play like John Coltrane. Or better yet, Miles Davis suck because he doesn't play as fast as John Coltrane. Completely different context's...
    BulletsOverHamburgers likes this.
  39. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Who does that all that often? I never see that unless someone is specifically asking for a comparison. If anything, people seem to want to tear down Pliny/Heady/Zombie.
  40. I have had two hearted several times, each time i didn't care much for it. That being said it was always between 2 to 4 months old.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.