1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Real Ale brewers cut

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by crusian, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Anyone else think they jumped from 4 to 6? Looked I.to it and 5 was an altbeir... Anyone have this?
    Drinking 6 now... The blonde barleywine. It's ok. I'm glad they are doing these and stepping up. The quad was probably my favorite so far... You?

2. Ford

Ford Advocate (510) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Quad and the Porter are my favorites... I didn't even know five and six were close to coming out! Not a barleywine guy so probably will skip that one. I'd like to try the 5 though.

Is this just going to be a never ending series that never repeats?

3. bccocx

bccocx Champion (785) Texas Jan 13, 2007

The Imperial Red was delicious. I got it a few times and may have to get it once again. I wish it was available all year!

tjkinate and Bobheed like this.
  4. crusian

I think I got the red late. All malt... No hops. Wasn't good imo.

5. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (265) Texas Sep 6, 2010

The quad made me gag and was a drain pour and there was entirely too many whole pellet Hercules hops in the signature hop ale. I passed on the red but the porter was kick ass! I might have to look for 5 but I doubt it'll be anywhere near what hops & grains does with their alt. Blonde Barleywine.... i'm intrigued.

6. mindswoop

mindswoop Savant (255) Texas Dec 22, 2011

The red was my favorite, but haven't touched it for the last couple months thinking the hops are fading too much.

7. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (360) Texas May 17, 2012

Yeah, you must have. When I got it, I thought it was one of the hoppiest reds I've ever had.

I drannk my last dry-hopped porter a few nights ago. Fresh I thought it was too hoppy for a porter. The last one I had the hops were falling off and I actually liked it more. Tasted more similar to Saint Arnold Icon Blue (which I'm a fan of).

8. rainerschuhsler

I saw #4 weeks before I saw #3. No idea why. Maybe because the even numbers have a longer shelf life?

http://*blocked*/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Real-Ale-Brewers-Cut-Altbier.png

http://*blocked*/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Real-Ale-Brewers-Cut-Blonde-Barleywine.png

9. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Was not a big fan of anyting but the Quad actually. Porter was good for what i was, just not my cup o tea as no porter should be hoppy. *(but knowing it was a DRY HOPPED PORTER i knew it would be and in that respect it fit the style great, just not for me).

Havent seen the alt or barleywine.

10. crusian

Barleywine is out... It is as I said, ok. the alt sounds interesting... Wondering why it isn't released with the noble hop, should be quickly.

11. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

They need to shut up and bottle Scots Gone Wild forever. Yes that's my professional opinion.

I want to hook a 24/7 IV of SGW into my body...

Also I liked the black quad for what it was.

jbeezification, air and lonestarbev like this.
  12. rainerschuhsler

YES. Always and forever.

bentwookie likes this.
  13. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

I loved the black quad. Interesting roasty take on a quad. The porter was good, and imp red was good. The Herc hopped thing was not good. I guess I just hate that hop, and they blasted you in the FACE with it.

Haven't seen either 5 or 6 dammit. Looking forward to both!

14. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

IMHO Mysterium Verum is just a fun side project for them. The real $$$$$$$ for them is in selling large quantities of stainless-fermented beer in bottles, cans, and kegs. Mostly Fireman's 4. :)

It would take a lot of money, time, effort, and space to expand their barrel program to the point that they could bottle it. Time better spent on Fireman's 4! That aint a bad thing necessarily... Fireman's 4 is an excellent lawnmower beer and good gateway to craft beer for locals and allows them to do things like Brewer's Cut.

15. Lutter

BTW: Someone needs to put the idea of barrel-aging their Black Quad in bourbon barrels in their heads.

Ford likes this.
  16. Clonies720

But is Firemans 4 really a gateway beer? Most breweries starting out come up with simple, tasty beers to win over new customers and also is a beer that's relatively cheap to make, right? Or do breweries usually start off doing Double IPA's fermented with yeast cultivated from a Sherpa's nose, and then aged for a year in oak barrels?

17. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (740) Texas Aug 16, 2005

I think you answerd your own question. IMO Firemans 4 is a gateway beer and I think you somewhat defined gateway beer with your statement "simple, tasty beers to win over new customers".

13DegN, jbeezification and Ford like this.
  18. videofrog

videofrog Savant (490) Texas Nov 13, 2010

This. Firemans has always been well received by my friends who haven't really ventured into Texas Craft. I don't know if there's a better example of a Texas gateway brew.

cfh64 likes this.
  19. Clonies720

I always thought gateway meant more of a craft beer that isn't really all that great, but it gets people interested in trying new craft betters that are "better" if you will.

20. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (740) Texas Aug 16, 2005

I don't think there is a definitive definition of a gateway beer. I think you're on target, minus it being a beer that isn't that great. I would think the opposite, something that is good and a step up from BMC but not something overly aggressive that will turn them off.

Typically, I think lighter beers in color and taste beers tend to be gateway beers more than darker ones due to the misconceptions and stereotypes of darker beers amongst BMC drinkers (ie dark beers are higher in alcohol or more filling). Yet I can give them a Kostritzer that tastes lighter and is less filling then half of the light beers out there...I digress.

You never know though, the other night I gave my BMC friend and his gf sours, BA stouts, non BA stouts, etc and they liked them all minus the IPA's. It's so subjective. You may find a girl (or guy) that drinks BMC and doesnt like Firemans but loves New Glarus Raspberry Tart or Belgian Red.

21. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

I feel that Fireman's is a Bud replacement tap in some restaurants. It may be the only craft offering in alot of places that have a shitty beer selection and at least it is not bad and local. Hopefully it then gets people curious about other Real Ale beers and then they fall down the rabbit hole.

jbeezification and air like this.
  22. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Firemans was a big gateway beer for me. I used to drink a ton of that stuff after work at a non craft-centric bar. Then I started going to the Flying Saucer and the rest is history.

Ford and rainerschuhsler like this.
  23. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (435) Texas Nov 21, 2008

A gateway beer is a beer that gets people interested in trying new craft beer, but explain why "it isn't really that great." That doesn't quite make sense. Why would a mediocre beer lead one further into craft beer than a great beer would? Certainly not all great beers that are gateway beers - too strong, too hoppy (or whatever) for the inexperienced pallette. However, wouldn't the best gateway beers indeed be great beers?

24. Techichi

Techichi Advocate (625) Texas Sep 25, 2012

I really enjoyed the quad, and thought the porter was ok. Look forward to trying future releases. That blonde barleywine looks really good.

25. I didn't like the porter so much. I thought it was kind of weird. It was like smelling pizza and then tasting hamburger. Bad analogy.

blatherbeard and rainerschuhsler like this.
  26. Ford

Ford Advocate (510) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I love hamburger pizza! I can't wait to find number 5 somewhere soon.

squirrely2005 and cfh64 like this.
  27. air

air Savant (360) Texas Mar 28, 2007

Always and forever.

I could pretty much drink just that and Sixpoint Apollo for the rest of my life.

For reference, I liked when I went down for SXSW, nearly every bar had some sort of craft offering. I noticed that Fireman 4 was almost always the answer whenever I asked if you have anything "micro/local" and I ended up drinking a ton of that.

28. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (415) Texas Dec 28, 2011

The imp red was pretty good when fresh and it's definitely past it's prime. Funny that I liked lagunitas imp red with about 6 months on it but its not the same case with real ale's imp red

29. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (475) Texas Mar 12, 2012

I really enjoyed the Red and drank a bit or both draft and bottle fresh..I gotta say again..Real Ale is pretty quietly churning out good to amazing brews. MVXV is insanely good

ShameAndFailure and mattisloco like this.
  30. canadianghetto

I'm pretty happy that Real Ale is under the radar as far as TX breweries go. No hype just quality. MV is better than anyone else barrel aging in the state and the Brewers Cut series is a fun experimentation and I am sure they will pump some amazing stuff out of it. Also they just canned Four Squared which will be out in a couple weeks.

31. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (445) Texas Oct 12, 2006

Happened to drink one each of the first four tonight. Pale Ale's lost most of the hops but is still tasty. Quad is drinking nicely. Red is faded, but still nice. Porter is just kinda meh.

32. mrkmrk

mrkmrk Savant (255) Texas Jun 25, 2011

I really enjoyed the Impy Red fresh, like most of you seem to have. I was thirsty after some cleaning some night, and it just hit the spot *so well*.

I didn't care for the blonde barleywine. Had it on tap, and it may just be because I had it after WBADPP and FW Double Jack, but it tasted a lot more like a more alcoholic blonde than a more blonde barleywine to me. I didn't care for it.

33. RustyP

RustyP Savant (350) Texas Dec 22, 2008

Anyone in the DFW seen any Black Quad still lingering on shelves? I've got a trading partner in NJ who loved it and wants some more :)

34. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

If i had, id have a few 4 packs. ;(

35. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (475) Texas Feb 13, 2007

I'll keep an eye out Rusty.

36. Lutter

I'm fairly certain I can get some in Austin if all else fails up in DFW.

37. crusian

I have some if needed.

38. canadianghetto

I've got some at a low traffic specs near my house that is getting shelf aged for me. They got some OG Black Metal for me too.

39. GregSVT

GregSVT Savant (485) Texas Jul 1, 2009

I thought the Quad was damn awesome. I'm sad I'm down to my last bottle and can't find it anywhere locally anymore. Hope they make that one again.

40. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (475) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Request it on their page. I've sent a couple of suggestion emails and they seem to be responding to everyone through there.

http://brewerscut.com/home#contact

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.