1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Real Ale/Surly/Three Floyds Blakkr

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by jera1350, Dec 16, 2013.

1. shadetree67

shadetree67 Member

Where are the reviews for this? I didn't see it under surly
  2. JMN44

JMN44 Member

There are a couple under 3 Floyds. I'm sure it will be added to Surly sometime soon since Blakkr just came out in MN.
  3. Buebie

Buebie Member

This beer is legit, although spendy. The aroma is worth it alone, I could smell this all day.
    BeerGoogler likes this.
  4. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Member

Is it too legit?
    Perhaps too legit to quit?
    Hey....I repeat Hey!
  5. Buebie

Buebie Member

6. jkwikkel

jkwikkel Member

Just showed up down here. I know what I'm doing after work...
  7. MCImes

MCImes Member

This was me:
    I hate black IPA's. They muddle the good parts of hoppy and dark beer into something worse than either alone. I've never had one I liked...

HOWEVER, along with @lonewolfcry, I must admit, and give props to Surly, that Blakkr is the first BIPA I've ever liked. Its damn good. The malt is present, but subdued. It allows the hops to come through very nicely. It probably helps that they use Simcoe for the aroma hops and I love love love simcoe, but regardless of what it is, Blakkr gets 2 thumbs up from me. I really dont want to like a black IPA, but damnit surly, you F-ing rock, and make me admit I like styles that I otherwise dont. I really wanted to hate on another black IPA (because in general this style sucks), but I cant. This one is good. Damn good. If they were all this good, I would have no beef with this style.

Props to Surly/FFF/RA. BLakkr rocks as hard as you do.
  8. BeerGoogler

BeerGoogler Member

Awesome, I agree with you. How about we all agree to NOT call it them Black IPA's from now on, despite what breweries say. I think Surly nailed it as an Imperial Black Ale. This is damn near a perfect beer for my taste buds.
  9. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Member

Agreed, this beer is damn near perfect!
    BeerGoogler likes this.
  10. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Member

See... I see stuff like this and don't understand. Why do you WANT to dislike a style? If a beer is good, a beer is good! All beer is deserving of advocating in my opinion, positive or negative, but you have to give it a chance man!
  11. BrettHead

BrettHead Member

He didn't say he wants to dislike the style in fact he said we would like the style if they were all as good as Blakkr :)
  12. Mnmaverick

Mnmaverick Member

I concur. I paid $17.99 for mine...is that in line with what others paid?
  13. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Member

From his post- direct quotes: "I really dont want to like a black IPA", "I really wanted to hate on another black IPA (because in general this style sucks)".
    BrettHead likes this.
  14. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Member

Yes. I got two four packs at Lake Wine and Spirits for that price. MGM Uptown had it for $20.
  15. BrettHead

BrettHead Member

Oh, I know his quotes. I just don't think that was what he was saying (the way you put it). Cheers :)
  16. nograz

nograz Member

Got a can from a co-worker since it does not seem that it has hit the north west metro yet.

All the stores I talked to in my neck of the woods are hoping for it today or tomorrow, but maybe next week. Some if these stores expected it Monday or Tuesday, but it never showed.

I am really looking forward to getting more, I really enjoyed the one can I got.
  17. MCImes

MCImes Member

I dont want to dislike a style. I just disliked most of the BIPA's or Black ales I tried a while ago before I gave up on them and became cynical to that name. I should always have faith in Surly though. They rarely have a flop. Bent paddle and Blakkr have revived my interest in this style, so Ill have to give a few more a try.
    nogophers and sean_mpls like this.
  18. McRyan

McRyan Member

$17.99 at Stinson as well!
  19. SipIt

SipIt Member

I'm also one who hasn't always been a big fan of the style, but thought Indeed's Haywire was pretty good. Blakkr on the other hand is excellent. I haven't tasted a bipa anything like this one.

To me it's abrasive with a different finish. A very smooth chocolate/cocoa finish, that makes it incredibly easy to drink.
  20. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Member

I guess I'm an outlier that really likes black ales. Atleast good ones. They can go off the rail easily and not really have anything to them, so now I'm really excited for this. I love Bent Paddle Black (though if we could get cold press black in the cities I'd drink that, and I don't like coffee.)
    nogophers likes this.
  21. InfraRen

InfraRen Member

Secured a bottle to pick up later - the reviews have me excited!
  22. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Member

I seldom drink Black IPA's, a few that come to mind that have been pretty good. Asator, MT Standard, Douglas, Haywire

Wookey Jack is probably the best I've had, Blakkr definitely is up there, if not better than Wookey

Anyone have a side by side yet?
  23. Douggo

Douggo Member

It seems to me almost unfair to compare Blakkr to mere Black IPAs. I'm a guy who is going to go for the DIPA over the IPA (almost) every time, and it seems like Blakkr is in a class by itself. DBIPA? Are there other Blacks in the same ABV range as Blakkr?
  24. SipIt

SipIt Member

Fair enough. I believe Haywire's abv is over 11% and Blakkr comes in around 10 and while I'm a fan of the former the latter is in a different league.
    BeerGoogler likes this.
  25. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Member

This hit Blue Max today, 1 per customer, $17.99. This information is from my mom who was driving to a hair appointment and decided to stop in and see if there was anything new I would like. My mom is awesome.
  26. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Member

I wish I had access to this beer. Black Friday from Lakefront was my #1 surprise beer of 2013 and it is an "Imperial Black Ale." I don't usually like Black IPAs either, but that beer absolutely blew me away with awesome, hoppy goodness. I'd love to compare that beer to this one!
  27. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Member

Four Firkins has it. Limit 2 4 pks per person.
  28. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Member

Mountain Standard is up there. And damn good too.
    Seefeldt likes this.
  29. McRyan

McRyan Member

Heritage says they are not expecting another shipment next week.
  30. Sinatra716

Sinatra716 Member

Had my first can tonight, and damn it's good!! The Abrasive really shines through, kinda makes me wonder what 3 Floyd's and Real Brewing contributed to it. Does anyone how long it will be distributed for? This can't be a one-time only release, this is probably the best NEW beer to the lineup Surly has produced since Four.
  31. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Member

From what I have heard, one and done
  32. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Member

Misanthrope. Misanthrope is the best NEW Surly beer since Four.

Honestly, the hyperbole here is amazing. Ive had it and like it. But, the "perfect beer?" Abrasive with a cocoa finish? That sounds disgusting. The only good black II IPA ever? Get real.
  33. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Member

I concur. Would love to be able to buy Misanthrope cans.
  34. theCoder

theCoder Member

Cheers sir, cheers. Although this coming from a guy who has tried Abrasive on multiple occasions and only likes it on cask. I've seriously not found it to be this crazy awesome beer everyone claims it is. But agian, to each their own.
  35. MNPikey

MNPikey Member

Yes, only one batch
  36. ThePeskyDingo

ThePeskyDingo Member

When I picked mine up yesterday I think it was only $17.49 at Blue Max..

Cellars in Eagan was $18.99 I believe.
  37. SipIt

SipIt Member

When it first came out in the taproom one of the guys working the counter mentioned it would come out in the opposite season as Pentagram, so maybe summer/fall. However, canned Misanthrope might be wishful thinking. :)
    BeerGoogler and Mnmaverick like this.
  38. JMN44

JMN44 Member

I think Blakkr is great but to me it seems like it is Abrasive with black malt added to it. From the smell to the finish I felt like I was drinking Black Abrasive. Don't get me wrong I like it but I wish it was something a little more new and different. I wonder if the FFF and Real Ale versions taste as much like Abrasive.
  39. shadetree67

shadetree67 Member

If this happens my wallet should be shaking with fear
    BeerGoogler, McRyan and MCImes like this.
  40. jera1350

jera1350 Member

Same experience here. It was like a can of Abrasive with a little bit of Darkness and Smoke added in. Couldn't believe how much like Abrasive it tasted. Good beer, but I'd rather have a four pack of Abrasive for less money.