1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Real Ale/Surly/Three Floyds Blakkr

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by jera1350, Dec 16, 2013.

1. I had that same message reiterated to me last night. Still not certain on timing, but Pentagram should be released relatively soon. They've been running that single-barrel Pentagram in the taproom for a little while now, and it is very different and very good.
  2. ...and this is the cool thing about opinions and our individual taste's. I get Abrasive on the nose, but the beer is its own beast, and a beast it is. I'm happy that I have both (Abrasive and Blakkr), and I have no issue with paying a buck or two more for some Blakkr. None of us see colors the same, hear tones the same, or taste things the same.

Hooray for variety and experimentation! ...and the copious amounts of money that we all seem to have to try all of this awesomesauce.
    Mnmaverick likes this.
  3. pdoran10

pdoran10 Savant (290) Minnesota Jun 30, 2009

We just got word that they are brewing more batches so we should see more shipments in the coming weeks.
    Mnmaverick and BeerGoogler like this.
  4. McRyan

McRyan Aficionado (230) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

BeerGoogler likes this.
  5. JMN44

JMN44 Aficionado (125) Minnesota Sep 19, 2013

That is not surprising considering how well Blakkr is selling at around $18 a 4 pack. I wonder if Surly could make Blakkr a seasonal for a month a year or if their agreement with FFF & Real Ale is it must be a one time deal only.
    Mnmaverick likes this.
  6. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Would be cool if they could purchase the "rights" to the recipe and continue to brew it in the future?
  7. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (305) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

Anyone wanna trade a 4 pack for 2 bombers of Blakkr from FFF?
  8. More than 1 batch? Impossible! ;)
    pdoran10 likes this.
  9. Aaaah, I see what you did there...
  10. wogman56

wogman56 Initiate (10) Iowa Feb 28, 2014

Got 4 four packs yesterday up in the Twin Cities along with some Edmund Fitzgerald. Can't wait to try it out!
  11. morimech

morimech Advocate (675) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

I prefer Indeed Haywire. As others have said, Blakkr is a darker Abrasive. Good but not what I am looking for in a black ale.
  12. OK ... but what are you looking for ?
    maximum12 likes this.
  13. HoistinBrews

HoistinBrews Savant (370) Minnesota Mar 26, 2011

This is exactly what I'm looking for in a black ale/black IPA!
    And honestly, I just don't get the 'darker Abrasive' comparison. IMO, this is a very unique beer in Surly's lineup. I understand that it is probably being said to be a great compliment as Abrasive is the king of the hill. If that's how one feels, so be it. But I think that's selling both beers short.
    BeerGoogler likes this.
  14. morimech

morimech Advocate (675) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

An extension of thought from my review. Just not enough black in the aroma and flavor from Blakkr. The body is unbelievable however. I do not taste anything unique in this beer.
    gatornation likes this.
  15. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

Agreed. I liked it but I wasn't getting any Abrasiveness from it. Frankly everything about Abrasive mixed with dark roasted malts just sounds f-ing gross. Not a good combo.
    HoistinBrews likes this.
  16. HoistinBrews

HoistinBrews Savant (370) Minnesota Mar 26, 2011

I like your review for Blakkr, pretty comprehensive and you give a great take on what you expect from a black ale/black IPA. I personally don't like that much roast in my bIPA/BAs. I love da hops! I'd grab a fresh Expedition if I wanted roasty-toasty and hop explosion. But that's not to style.
    It's all so confusing..
    ;)
    morimech likes this.
  17. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

I'm willing to trade my two additional four packs, this beer let me down.

Edit: okay halfway through I regret the above statement. It's my birfday forget about it!
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    lonewolfcry likes this.
  18. It was different. Still a fun enjoyable beer. I like that it was released in 3 different markets and was packaged different in each one. Not quite a beer I'd drink over and over.
  19. Still tons of this at Ale Jail in St Paul, and a dollar cheaper than Abrasive.
  20. Anyone here in the Roch see any? I checked Hy-Vee and Andy's crossroads had none
  21. aliving1

aliving1 Savant (275) Minnesota Aug 3, 2011

It was supposed to hit Schott on Friday, so I bet it would be with their next delivery. I ended up going to the Cities Saturday and got some.
  22. billhelm

billhelm Savant (370) Minnesota Feb 9, 2011

Byerlys in SLP still had at least a couple of flats of it last night if you're still looking in west metro
  23. Can confirm. They had quite a few left as of an hour ago. Their new wing dedicated to beer is pretty cool too.
  24. InfraRen

InfraRen Disciple (60) Minnesota Nov 18, 2013

Had my Blakkr over the weekend. Wasn't as good as I was hoping for. Others have said it's sort of an Abrasive+ but I actually like Abrasive better. Didn't hate it, but didn't love it either.
    cmannes and MCImes like this.
  25. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (295) Minnesota Sep 11, 2013

Didn't care for Blakkr. I typically like this style too
  26. Anybody know where/if Blakkr is in stock anywhere still. I took a trip to Florida the day before it was released. Got to try the 3 Floyds version at Huna Day but my pallet was dead by then.
  27. pandera

pandera Zealot (85) Minnesota Jul 10, 2011

Perrier/Ramaley Liquors on Grand near Dale has a bunch of it. First Grand Liquors might have some left as well.
    TheBeerDrinker likes this.
  28. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

It's also in Rochester and I saw it at Blue Max on Friday.
  29. Yep still at Blue Max as of today...
  30. Thanks for the info. I was able to get some at Perrier on Grand. He mentioned that he was told he would likely get another shipment so maybe they will be distributing more. I obviously can't confirm that but it was his understanding.
  31. MCImes

MCImes Savant (350) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

(I forget its name) but the fridley liquor store off university and 694 (dare I say Fridley Liquor) has a whole shalf in the cooler of it...probably cause its 19.99...
  32. Correct - Fridley Liquor
    They keep a lot under lock & key there.
    I did see a Darkness there for $20 a couple of weeks ago though.
    Left it for somebody else.
    McRyan likes this.
  33. Douggo

Douggo Aficionado (235) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

Because science, I sampled (finished) a bottle of Haywire tonight. It could be the alcohol talking, but I think I prefer the Haywire because it tastes like one really good beer, while Blakkr seems like a mix of two good beers.
    Seefeldt, shadetree67 and McRyan like this.
  34. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

I can see that. I wouldn't complain if my glass was filled with either.
    Douggo, BeerGoogler and McRyan like this.
  35. We were lucky enough to get a second small ration of Blakkr on 3/7 (Vadnais Hts location). We still have a few 4-packs left if anyone is still hunting it down. Cheers!
  36. lawsob

lawsob Initiate (10) Texas Mar 21, 2014

I'm sitting here in San Antonio (just down SR-281 from Blanco) sipping some Blakkr. Well I'm on my second can. I'll trust my senses. This is really a fine effort.
  37. WallyHop

WallyHop Initiate (0) Kentucky Nov 25, 2013

It's always good to drink the beer before writing it off as crappy and sounding like a jackass
  38. This beer is awesome. Not your normal black ale. You are doing yourself an injustice by not trying it. The fresher, the better.
  39. I sincerely thought this was going to be a limited release/one-off beer, which at least partially justified the ~$17-19 price point.

The fact that this is so widely available makes me wonder how long they think they can maintain sales at that price.

Given the bevy of other, better options for less, I don't think I'll be plunking down any more cash on this one.
    McRyan and maximum12 like this.
  40. MCImes

MCImes Savant (350) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

Actually ive come full circle. After drinking 2 4 packs, im back to having no love for black IPA's. It was really good on tap at surly which prompted me to write my retraction, but the cans didnt flip my cookie.

+1
    Seefeldt likes this.