1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Really digging Sam Adam's IPL.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BladeRunner, Feb 26, 2013.

1. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

It almost tastes like they used Boston Lager as the base recipe but switched out the noble hops in favor of west coast hops. Very solid brew and I'm pretty impressed overall. Anyone else digging this brew?

dcs1548, gjoker321, gtermi and 8 others like this.
  2. better question is IPL the next up and coming style? JA is doing great things with IPLs and I welcome the thought of more options in the market.

tzieser, AndyAvalanche and Providence like this.
  3. Yeah I really like the SA IPL.. i am actaully becoming quite impressed with Sam Adams.

gjoker321 likes this.
  4. Jack's Abby already brewed ABCs. It should be bottled and available for crushing soon!

5. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I thought the Sam IPL was pretty middle of the pack. It just tastes like marginally hoppier Boston Lager. Hoponius Union blows it out of the water so maybe I'm spoiled. Perhaps I should try it again but Sam hasn't done it for me since I was 19. Other than some of their more special releases, there's just too many other good brews out there

6. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

The SA IPL really reminded me a lot of Lagunitas' DayTime in terms of hop profile, strangely enough.

I haven't had Jack's Abby to compare, I'm sure they do the style better. But Double Agent is pretty damn good for my money.

powpig2002 likes this.
  7. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (300) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

I really liked it. I'd easily pick up a 6 if I see it, but right now I've only seen it in the variety packs.

gjoker321 and powpig2002 like this.
  8. They've released this as stand alone 6 packs and I'm quite happy about it.

pschul4, MIA4IPA and Providence like this.
  9. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

This really tastes like a hoppy Boston Lager to some of you? I don't get anywhere near the maltiness that Boston Lager has; it's a much lighter beer in color as well.

I liked most of the beers in the Spring Thaw 12-pack, especially the IPL and Alpine Spring.

sfsean28, gjoker321 and tjensen3618 like this.
  10. I tried one and really enjoyed it. I'll be picking up a six pack soon. It seems perfect for the (hopefully soon) arrival of spring. Even though I've enjoyed my winter full of imperial stouts, DIPAs, and other high abv special releases, I'm starting to crave some lighter but still flavorful beers.

11. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (470) Florida Jul 13, 2011

I tried a single of it and enjoyed it as well - just not sure I'd buy a 6 pk of it when I can get SNPA for the same price or Lagunitas and some other brews for $1 more.

Handle and 19etz55 like this.
  12. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (395) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

I really didn't like this. In fact, I didn't like much at all from the Spring 12 pack. The Whitewater IPA from the Hop Tour six pack I had, however, may be my favorite Sam Adams beer I've had yet.

kirbmeist and tjosborne like this.
  13. Bought a 6-pack today, wasn't all that impressed. After drinking Hoponius Union for months, Double Agent just doesn't stand up. A decent beer, but the hops just don't show up for me. The price is right, but I think I actually prefer Alpine Spring.

14. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (385) Florida Jan 26, 2012

the newest regular in the fridge. i wasn't expecting anything and was takin' totally off guard. price is very good. if it wasn't sam adams, it would be getting more love. recommended it to a co-work and this weekend, he and his dad had it with pizza. LOVED IT.

gjoker321 likes this.
  15. Boston Lager is much more focused on the continental malts than IPL, but yes, I am very impressed with it. They've been coming up with some really great beer over the last few years

gjoker321 and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  16. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

Agreed. Those two are the best things Sam Adams has done in a while, IMO.

sfsean28 likes this.
  17. Heidelberg7

Heidelberg7 Savant (370) Illinois Sep 13, 2008

If SA lowered their price on Alpine and Ipl I would buy but for almost the same price I can get Zombie Dust/or Lagunitas sucks ......etc

Horbar and hoerr like this.
  18. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Double Agent IPL was my favorite from the Spring Thaw pack. I went into it thinking I would love the Maple Pecan Porter the best, but I was surprised by the IPL. I've seen Alpine Spring all over here in Northern Wyo. Advertised as on tap, in 6-packs, and just generally being pushed pretty hard. I thought Alpine Spring was decent, but it was kind of "meh," in my opinion.

I'm also intrigued by IPLs as a style. IPAs are by far my favorite style of beer, but I'm intrigued by lagers. The more styles of lagers I have, the more I'm enjoying them for their own merits as opposed to comparing them to what I love about ales. I'd love to try Hoponius Union.

bulldogbrewhaus and herrburgess like this.
  19. I really liked the Double Agent. I hope the IPL style catches on outside of JA, which I cannot get.

20. scootsmal

scootsmal Savant (260) New York Aug 15, 2012

Im on board with this as well. Drank an 6'er last weekend and went and bought another right away. My hope is its a regular in their brewing line now. In all honesty I havent drank a bunch of SA since i got into this craft beer shenanigans. the IPL could swing me back to SA again. Boston Lager and Latitude 48 are respectable as well.

With all this said, it cant shake a stick at Hoponius Union, that stuff is spectacular.

21. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Enjoyed this one. Not bad at $5.99/6 on sale.

gjoker321 likes this.
  22. Agreed. I really do enjoy IPL, but I don't think the malt profile is anything like Boston Lager's.

23. :) Someone likes a lager?

gjoker321 and jlpred55 like this.
  24. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I like the Double Agent.

It's not Hoponius Union, but it's not a nearly 7% abv IPL either, so I'm happy to have access to both.

25. I was pleasantly surprised, and really enjoyed the Double Agent IPL. Nice work, guys.

26. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (655) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

I was disappointed. Great concept, poor execution. Maybe put some more hops in your hoppy beer?

27. Handle

I think it's very well hopped, considering it's a hybrid of an IPA and a lager. Sam Adams has never brewed hop bombs.

gjoker321 likes this.
  28. I fixed it for you.

29. The other lager threads ignore all of the other ingredients. Just saying.

30. "Never"? Wouldn't 110 IBU's be considered a "bomb-ish" level.

31. Handle

Huh, never heard of that one. I guess I should have said they don't make a habit of brewing hop bombs. :p

32. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (655) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Fair point. That being said, calling it an "India Pale" Lager and advertising Citra hops among others made me think I was going to have a hoppier beer. I guess I really just had high hopes and I think this is a style that we're going to see a lot of. I think there is a lot of potential here.

Handle likes this.
  33. I liked it. Interesting flavors.

34. JimKal

JimKal Savant (325) North Carolina Jul 31, 2011

Wouldn't it be nice , now that SA is canning, to put this one in a can (along with Latitude 48)?

35. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Advocate (745) Illinois Dec 13, 2008

Ever since Sam Adams did the hop-by-hop breakdown case, I have been rediscovering SA.
    I, too, enjoy the IPL.

gjoker321 and JimKal like this.
  36. I have been drinking Hoponius Union since the beginning. When I first had the Double Agent IPL - I wanted to compare it to Hoponius - but it can't be. They're both great at what they are.

37. dan027

dan027 Savant (330) Pennsylvania Mar 28, 2011

I was really excited to try this one and very pleased when I had it. I thought it was great and love the whole IPL concept, looking forward to having more and really need to try Hoponius Union after reading this thread. Until then, can't wait to session the hell out of this one on the golf course this spring.

38. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

I really like the Double Agent. I also really like the Latitude 48 this year. Could be because I love mosaic hops, but either way it's pretty good.

39. priwen

priwen Savant (380) Arkansas Apr 1, 2007

I really enjoy it. The alcohol is low enough to session, and the hops level is such that it won't wreck your palate.
    I would also like to see this one in cans. I think it would be a great one to take to the lake/river this summer.
    I don't agree with the comparisons to Boston Lager. I don't taste any similarity between the two.

StaveHooks likes this.
  40. godlessape

godlessape Savant (310) Georgia Dec 12, 2010

Yes. I thought it was really good. I got it in the Spring sampler pack, and I liked all the others in there as well.