1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Really digging Sam Adam's IPL.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BladeRunner, Feb 26, 2013.

1. I am with Handle, please disclose said SA hop bomb. And I know you know your stuff, was this measured or calculated?
  2. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

I finally tried this and got a single bottle.

Should have gotten a 6 pack. I love Hoponius Union but this is really good too.
  3. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I agree! That is such a tasty beer and one of the best by SA IMO.
  4. Did you click on the link --- "110IBU's" --- in my post? Samuel Adams Imperial Pilsner. A similar beer was released later - Samuel Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner (brewed at City Latrobe, and after BBC ended that contract and re-opened the Schaefer brewery in eastern PA, never brewed again AFAIK).
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/38591 Over 700 reviews, so obviously a well-distributed beer, easy to find beer while it existed.

Really? Either way, wouldn't it qualify as a "hop bomb"? (Odd, no one seems to ask that question for any other brewery...) Well, I assume BBC as a 2m bbl. brewery can afford a lab, but I guess you'll have to ask them.
  5. I guess I was a little bleary eyed and missed the link. The IBU question I think is one that should be asked more often. I think too many brewers do their math while brewing and stand by the calculated number, which is typically higher(in some cases WAY higher) than the taste would indicate. I am guessing for all intents and purposes, unless it smells like you just cut open a pineapple, or the beer itself is stringent enough to peel paint off your car, hop bomb is not going to apply, regardless of your IBUs.
  6. Not sure if that is what I said - is possible though. I only find JA muddled when it has some age on it. As far as yeast profile, they are usually pretty darn clean - almost too clean for my taste in lager, but at least its a crisp finish.

As far as SA IPL, I think this is one of the better SA beers I've had in some time. Enough hop character (flavor/bitterness) to overcome (but not cover up) the usual cloying finish I get from their lagers. The bit of pineyness is nice, would like to taste a bit more tropical/citrusy aspect though.
  7. dan027

dan027 Savant (330) Pennsylvania Mar 28, 2011

Even more reason for me to try and get my hands on some
  8. An IBU number by itself is not really a good indicator of the bitterness you will experience. Many, many variables are at play that effect how you perceive bitterness on your palate. Without knowing the types of malts, their % of use, attenuation, finishing gravity, mash temps, variety of hops used, dryhopping rates, etc. and know how to relate those variables to your palate its pretty much useless to the consumer - its more of a tool that allows brewers to obtain the balance they desire in a beer that has become marketing hubris for craftbeer.

And SA Imperial Pilsner was a hop bomb - even when judged next to today's hop bombs.
    palmdalethriller likes this.
  9. Don't fall for the local hype. They are quite similar beers - when both are equally fresh, Hoponius may be (not very consistent imo) little bit hoppier, but put a month age on each and I'd rather have the SA. I think SA did a better job at getting lager/ipa hybrid flavor, I couldn't tell Hoponius was a lager unless someone told me.
    herrburgess likes this.
  10. I want to springboard on Longstaff’s comment of “getting lager/ipa hybrid flavor”.

I was really expecting that Double Agent was going to taste just like an IPA. I mean, a lot of commercial IPAs are brewed with very clean ale yeasts and lager yeasts are the epitome of clean yeasts. So, Double Agent will just be a super clean IPA, right? Nope, it really is a lager/IPA hybrid. This is what I consider to be an American Pale Ale category beer. Sam Adams did an excellent job in making this beer.

Cheers!
  11. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

My only complaint is that it doesn't seem to take long for the hops to drop off to the point to where they get hidden behind the malt. I wish it was a little less sweet. But super fresh, I really enjoyed it.
  12. “My only complaint is that it doesn't seem to take long for the hops to drop off …”

I hear what you are saying. I have not had a non-fresh Double Agent (yet) but I am sure that I won’t enjoy drinking an ‘old’ Double Agent. I have a few bottles in my basement with a best by notch of August 2013. I recognize that Boston Beer Company uses ‘long’ best by dates for business reasons but the beer drinker in me gets irritated by timeframes like 6 months for hoppy beers.

As I have discussed in the past, the ‘poster child’ for beers where the hops really fall of the cliff with time is Ithaca Flower Power. That beer is a remarkably different beer with one month of age on it (to my palate).

Cheers!
  13. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

6 months is WAY too long for a best by date on styles that showcase hop character and Flower Power falls off fast. Agreed on all counts!
  14. I agree, I think the Lager fermentation really helps to express the hops characters. Probably one of the best 6-Pack beers they have done in recent memory.
  15. Yeah, I agree with you about measured and calculated IBU's, etc., but my point in quoting the number is that a brewer who notes that his beer "weighs in at over 100 IBUs " (as BBC says on their website about the SA HIP) intended it to be "hop bomb" - that does not negate the possibility that the "hop bomb" might be dude.

Which Samuel Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner was not.
  16. Pegli

Pegli Savant (305) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

I liked it and have drunk 2 or 3 sixers of it but one of the hops in there gives me a slight petroleum (ever siphon gas ?) aftertaste...Zeus perhaps ?
  17. “ …ever siphon gas ?”

Hmmm, I have a sneaky suspicion on how one person is dealing with high gasoline prices!?!;)

Cheers!
  18. Obsidian

Obsidian Savant (305) California Dec 9, 2012

One of my favorite Sam Adams. I first had it with the Spring Thaw pack and have since bought a 6 and 12 pack.
  19. Pegli

Pegli Savant (305) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

You can take the boy out of Jersey but not the Jersey out of the boy ;)
  20. Bada Bing!;)

Cheers!
  21. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Savant (355) Italy Apr 19, 2009

Never had or seen an IPL. Sounds like a pilsner to me. A hoppy, bitter lager. How are the two different?
  22. I really miss that beer. It was an instant favorite of mine and had I known it would only be out that one time I would have bought a lot more.
  23. "Dud", not "dude"! :eek: I screwed up the word play!
  24. Is this a hard to find style? I can easily pickup Latitude 48 and most other 'basic' SA styles locally...wouldn't figure this would be in a liquor store. Doesn't seem to be around my area at all.
  25. tzieser

tzieser Initiate (0) Arizona Nov 21, 2006

I'm a bit of a lager junkie myself. I believe a well made lager will beat out a well made ale any day of the week. The lagering process adds a degree of drinkability i cant seem to find in any ale lately. Crazy how much tastes change in such a short time

26. I agree. this brew is delicious, been consuming the 12 packs at an alarming rate! Hope this one stays on and cans would be nice too...
    HisBoyElroy likes this.
  27. Averwo

Averwo Savant (385) Iowa Jul 4, 2013

Did not like this at all.