1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Reap What You Sow: The Hunt/Trash Talk/Hints/General Stupidity

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by fortsambo, Feb 15, 2013.

1. fortsambo

fortsambo Savant (250) Colorado Feb 14, 2011

Homestretch!
  2. hokiechef

hokiechef Aficionado (150) Virginia Feb 23, 2009

And with the 12th overall pick I select..... Box # 15! Looking forward to it Wagenvolks.
  3. hokiechef

Box 1 Selected 4th
    Box 2 Selected 10th
    Box 3 Selected 5th
    Box 4 Selected 6th
    Box 5
    Box 6 Selected 7th
    Box 7 Selected 3rd
    Box 8 Selected 8th
    Box 9 Selected 2nd
    Box 10
    Box 11 Selected 11th
    Box 12
    Box 13 Selectled 9th
    Box 14 Selected 1st
    Box 15 Selected 12th

So the order of picks is as follows:

1. Djmichaelk selected box 14
    2. readbaron selected box 9
    3. Beerthirty selected box 7
    4. fortsambo selected box 1
    5. Mista selected box 3
    6. chrisp450 selected box 4
    7. Bauermj selected box 6
    8. Bulbman selected box 8
    9. Davesway10 selected box 13
    10. Wagenvolks selected box 2
    11. Stigs selected box 11
    12. Hockiechef
    13. BeerBuddy2122
    14. Alefish
    15. Twiggamortis420
    BeerBuddy2122 is on the clock!
  4. Ill take box 12 (hokiechef)
  5. Box 1 Selected 4th
    Box 2 Selected 10th
    Box 3 Selected 5th
    Box 4 Selected 6th
    Box 5
    Box 6 Selected 7th
    Box 7 Selected 3rd
    Box 8 Selected 8th
    Box 9 Selected 2nd
    Box 10
    Box 11 Selected 11th
    Box 12 Selected 13th
    Box 13 Selectled 9th
    Box 14 Selected 1st
    Box 15 Selected 12th

So the order of picks is as follows:

1. Djmichaelk selected box 14
    2. readbaron selected box 9
    3. Beerthirty selected box 7
    4. fortsambo selected box 1
    5. Mista selected box 3
    6. chrisp450 selected box 4
    7. Bauermj selected box 6
    8. Bulbman selected box 8
    9. Davesway10 selected box 13
    10. Wagenvolks selected box 2
    11. Stigs selected box 11
    12. Hockiechef
    13. BeerBuddy2122
    14. Alefish
    15. Twiggamortis420
    Alefish is on the clock!
  6. chrisp450

chrisp450 Savant (290) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

Two updates: 1. My box has shipped to my target! Hopefully makes it Saturday.
    2. I have received my haul from Mista (apparently we work about 5 minutes away from each other). Will post pics tonight!
  7. alefish

alefish Aficionado (200) New Jersey Jan 26, 2012

As much as I hate to do this I am going to keep my own box. It came down to whether or not I would trade my box for the box that was left and the answer was no. No offense, Twig.
  8. wagenvolks

wagenvolks Advocate (655) Texas Sep 23, 2005

So it looks like the final tally will be: 9 boxes out the door, 6 boxes staying home. Interesting.
  9. alefish

Yeah, it almost seems like that option should be taken away
  10. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

I bet Sam (and others) have some ideas going forward. Interested in / scared of round 2
  11. Its been fun watching this thread, and think this was a genius idea!

I'd like to get in on Round 2 whenever you guys decide to do it.

Cheers!
  12. alefish

Let me know when round 2 starts
  13. And for the final pick...wait for it...wait for it....
  14. none taken, I was actually kind of hoping you picked yours at this anticlimactic point anyway, I really didnt feel like packing and shipping all the way to Joysey
  15. Mista

Mista Aficionado (195) Minnesota Nov 10, 2011

A few suggestions for round 2

1) I recommend removing the top score and bottom score from each person. I seriously can't figure our how box #7 got a vote ranking of 14. Guess whoever ranked it as such is not a sour fan.

2) Maybe make it a requirement to submit oz count, BA Scores, Wants, Gots so Sam can make a score card to email to everyone. I personally found the score card really useful and i know a few others used the same method. This would have saved a lot of time.

Looking forward to Round 2

Cheers
  16. wagenvolks

I like these ideas. I also would like to suggest the following possibilities:

1. After all the boxes have been submitted for viewing, everyone in the BIF has the option to A) remove one bottle, B) add one bottle (provided they stay over/under the oz limit), or C) swap one bottle for another (this would help avoid the 5x Gingerbread Stout we saw in the first round).

2. Narrow the oz window to 50 (e.g., between 175 - 225, or between 200-250). Not dead-set on this one because leaving a wider window allows for a bit more flexibility, but it's worth thinking about.
  17. wagenvolks

got me thinking how it would affect this round. (i do enjoy statistics after all).

BOX#|Mean|Trimmed Mean|(Rank)
    Box 1: 3.43 3.08 (2)
    Box 2: 10.5 10.6 (13)
    Box 3: 5.0 4.92 (4*)
    Box 4: 5.0 4.92 (5*)
    Box 5: 12.4 12.5 (14)
    Box 6: 5.71 5.83 (6 7)
    Box 7: 5.92 5.58 (7 6)
    Box 8: 8.57 8.83 (8)
    Box 9: 3.64 3.58 (3)
    Box 10: 12.9 13.2 (15)
    Box 11: 9.71 9.75 (11)
    Box 12: 9.86 9.91 (12)
    Box 13: 9.14 9.25 (9)
    Box 14: 1.42 1.33 (1)
    Box 15: 9.21 9.33 (10)

So, in the end only box 6 and 7 would switch places using a trimmed mean. Not a huge difference.
  18. fortsambo

Ok, that was a damn good time! I want to thank everyone that participated and I hope even if you ended up with your own box, you still had a good time ranking, etc. Although there may have been a few kinks to work out, overall I thought the BIF was a success. There will certainly be a round 2 with some minor changes (or major, who knows) if anyone wants to get in on it.

With that being said, I think the easiest way to start the shipping process is to have everyone (that is recieving a box) BM the person that is sending to them with your info (name, address, phone #, email). I would like to have everyone ship by next Friday, a week from tomorrow. If by chance there is a reason you cannot ship by then, please send me a BM to discuss the particulars.

Thanks again everyone, see you in round 2!​
  19. fortsambo

There will certainly be changes to round 2. One of which will be that you rank your own box and that all rankings are based on how much you want the box, not necessarily how good you think the box is. Then, selections will be done automatically, ie you get the box that is left that you have ranked the highest. Doing this will ensure that no one ranks boxes lower to help said box fall to them. However, if it is your own box that falls to you, you would still have the option to take the next, lower ranked box.
  20. fortsambo

I also like some of the other ideas above. I'll look at them closer as soon as I get ready for round 2!
  21. chrisp450

Yeah, I think a 2 staged approach would be awesome. It would give people a good baseline, then people can up the ante and have a second vote or something. Combine the two rounds and rank from there.

Would be a long process, but I think some very sick boxes would go out... As wagon mentioned, I would've potentially switched out GBS or others. Though I don't think removing should be an option, only adding!!

So maybe start with a 150-175 oz box, do rankings. Then do a second round of additions, must add at least say 25oz, but no more than say 100oz. Do a final vote, maybe some bonus points for round 2 voting. Combine the votes and go from there.

Just a thought, but I think it would be cool.
  22. hokiechef

I like this. Especially the part about adding but not subtracting with maybe an allowed swap if the subtracted beer appears in more that 25% of the boxes etc. I was really surprised to see so many GBSs on the list, I was thinking that was something that I would have all to myself (or at least not half of the boxes!)

Another thought would be to ask people to vote on the boxes based on quality not wants. I think most if not all the people participating in this type of BIF would be able to give credit to a great box even it it doesn't meet their individual tastes or it matches up with their own cellar inventory. Reward the person who puts forth a great box regardless of personal tastes. That would also make the draft more suspenseful because a box of sours that was highly ranked may get passed up by someone who doesn't like sours for a lower overall box that fits someones tastes better.

FWIW here was my ranking system (and yes I went a bit crazy in this regard)
    I ranked each box 6 ways

1. Average BA Score*
    2. Total Quality (each bottle was given a 1-10 rating on quality trying to avoid personal tastes/wants then added them all up)
    3. Average Quality (above /# of bottles*)
    4. Total Modified Quality (I assigned each bottle a % modifier based on personal tastes/wants lowest given was 45% highest was 125%)
    5. Average Modified Quality (above / # of bottles*)
    6. Wants/Don't Care/Don't Want. (Wants got 2 points, don't care got 1 point, and don't want got -1.)
    *In the future I would probably do the average by # of oz not # of bottles.

Finally I took where each box ranked and averaged them together. That was the base list I used for my final submissions with a few last second tweaks when I looked at each box next to the one above / below it and asked which I would choose if it were my turn to select.
  23. chrisp450

Ready for hauls? Me too!

My haul from Mista! Picked up locally - made it quicker for me and a bit easier for Mista!

[​IMG]

750 ml Ivan the Terrible (want!)
    · 12 oz Westy XII (want - Yes, was on my list, but it was hard to include)
    · 22 oz Central Waters 15 (was on my list, but it was to be one of my best offered!)
    · 22 oz Abyss ‘10 (2010 Was my favorite year! Awesome)
    · 22 oz BCBCS ‘12 (Building a cellar of these!)
    · 375 ml Beatification (BIG BIG BIG WANT!)
    · 500 ml Hill Farmstead Birth of Tragedy 2012 (Want)
    · 22 oz Midnight Sun Berserker (Don't know much about, but excited)
    · 750 ml Fitgers Edmund Fitzgerald (1/500) (know NOTHING about, but it sounds awesome!)
    · 64 oz Town Hall Twisted Trace Growler (1/100) (Huge want as I couldn't make Barrel Aged days)

A confession, I already cracked the Twisted Trace. DAMN GOOD! Might be my favorite Barleywine out there (from what I have had). REALLY good stuff, and a GREAT GREAT box from Mista. We had a few similarities which almost made me pass, but a few of these were big wants. I think I got a heck of a box here.

VERY fun and interesting BIF. Would love to see what Sam thinks about future iterations, and certainly would like to be involved, and even up the ante!
  24. hokiechef

My box has arrived from Wagonvolks safe and sound. Thanks again everyone, hope to see you all again in Rd# 2
  25. wagenvolks

My box from beerbuddy2122 landed safely! Trying to restock my ammo for Rd #2!
  26. bauermj

bauermj Savant (475) Illinois May 4, 2009

Box arrived safe and sound from chrisp450. Thanks! Will post a pic when I get back from vacation.
  27. Box arrived safe and sound - will post a pic soon! Thx Matt!!
  28. chrisp450

We getting any other hauls here?

29. I keep trying to post the pic i took and i get an error message that says post is to large...tried to resize the image, no dice...guessing the file size might be too large.

You guys will have to trust me when i tell you it is a beatiful sight...

[​IMG]
  30. Mista

Mista Aficionado (195) Minnesota Nov 10, 2011

Sorry been slacking. I got this box last week from Sam

[​IMG]
  31. readbaron

readbaron Savant (345) Illinois May 12, 2010

My (AWESOME!!) box from BeerThirty showed up yesterday - I'll toss up a pic later on.