Rec Some Eccentric Brown Ales

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ri0, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

So I drank my first ever Surly Coffee Bender (amazing flavor!) this morning and it made me wonder what else can be done with Brown Ales. They are a rather mellow beer that can lack big bold flavors, but I'm sure there are others out there. Anyone try any eccentric Brown Ales that they really enjoyed?

2. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron is a huge brown ale. Huge, I tell you.

3. Ri0

I've heard great things about that beer. Sucks that DFH stopped distribution to WI in 2011. :(

4. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

If you've never tried Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar, I highly recommend it to the fullest. It's my favorite brown ale and one of my favorite beers period..

5. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (385) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

Pretty Things St boltphs is my favorite brown ale. I am NOT a fon of thia style but the english yeast used in this one really gives it an awesome flovor.

mpyoung215 and musicman7070 like this.
  6. Jolly Pumpkin's Maracaibo Especial is made with cacao nibs, orange peel, & cinnamon, & is eccentric to the point that it bears next to no resemblance to a brown ale.

mrhartounian likes this.
  7. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

The two beers I was going to discuss have both been mentioned....Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar and Dogfish Head's Palo Santo (which is, to date, the lone DH beer I dig).

Port Brewing's Board Meeting is a brown ale with coffee and cocoa nibs....I have not tried it yet, but will the moment I find it on the local shelves. Sounds quite good.

Bitterbill, afrokaze and sfsean28 like this.
  8. Gotta second this beer. It is amazing and I am not even crazy about Hazelnut.

Bitterbill likes this.
  9. Chugs13

Chugs13 Savant (440) New Jersey Dec 11, 2011

8 Wire C4 Coffee Brown Ale and Terrapin Hop Karma, which should be coming out soon.

10. I know it was only a one-off but Smuttynose's Durty was phenomenal. A hopped-up brown; I loved it.

cavedave likes this.
  11. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Get some! I was quite surprised by it seeing as I'm not a huge fan of browns, but the coffee and cocoa give it some nice rich body without being too sweet, it was very satisfying. I was gonna recommend it to the OP but don't think he can get it easily.

denver10 likes this.
  12. If you can still find it, Frangelic Mountain Brown is a truly eccentric beer.

13. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (635) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Wet Dream from Evil Twin is easily the best Brown Ale I've ever had. It's pricey and limited, but don't pass on it if you ever see it.

[​IMG]

14. Short's Good Humans is described as a Dry Hopped Double Brown Ale. I personally love it.

15. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

Cigar City's Maduro is exceptional, and some of the treatments kick it up to the next level, especially the Espresso Brown.

16. fishtremble and Ernest_Hooper like this.
  17. Ri0

stayclean likes this.
  18. Yeah, The Woodmaster is delicious.

19. Mandark

Mandark Savant (305) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

Goose Island's 2011 Christmas Ale was fantastic--very mild with a sort of gingerbread taste, but not "Christmasy" in an overly spiced sense, very dry. I had my last one in January 2013 and it was still great. I'm still looking for more in the Chicago area.

JuniperJesus likes this.
  20. Sierra Nevada Tumbler is pretty hoppy for a brown ale. Dont know it that makes it ecentric but it was hoppier than Im used to my brown ales being.

mpyoung215 likes this.
  21. The oatmeal raisin cookie is my favorite treatment, but I don't think they're bottling it this year.

22. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Another vote for this. It's definitely an eccentric beer for its style. SO delicious. Very malty rich/sweet, so I never need more than one in a row though.

23. zid

zid Savant (440) New York Feb 15, 2010

Not necessarily eccentric or bold, but these are far from boring for me:

Alesmith Nut Brown Ale
    Pretty Things Saint Botolph's Town
    Duck-Rabbit Brown Ale

24. Bravo Brown by Firestone Walker. Hands down best brown ale I've ever head. But the only Chance you'd have of getting it would be on tap at the brewery, if then. If you ever see it, GET IT.

25. Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale. Some good stuff right there.

TravisR, rc51sport, YogiBeer and 3 others like this.
  26. Smuttynose Really Old Brown Dog

BleepBloopBlap likes this.
  27. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Savant (425) Connecticut Jul 16, 2005

While I love many of these beers, knocking Brown Ales because they lack big bold flavors is silly.

28. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

I second the DFH brews, Hop Karma was nice, and Rogue Hazelnut was one of the first I ever tried. I really want to try that Port badly.

Give Epic Santa Cruz a try, I had it last week and it was pretty tasty

29. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Epic santa cruz is a great brown for the price.

Palo Santo goes without saying at this point

30. DFH Palo Santo Marron and Indian Brown Ale. Nectar Ales Hemp Ale (Humboldt Brown) is also very good, I was surprised by that one.

31. jcreegan

jcreegan Aficionado (230) Florida Aug 12, 2010

Bells best brown, half acre over ale, lagunitas WTF, CCB Maduro

YogiBeer likes this.
  32. IndyDad

IndyDad Champion (850) New York Jan 21, 2013

Mission Street 2013 Anniversary Ale from Trader Joes.

33. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (635) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

34. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Bells best, dfh IBA, Avery Ellie's brown

35. Ri0

So just had the pleasure of drinking a bottle of Quaff Bros Brown Cow Brown Chicken and damn was it ever so delectable. Wonderful, wonderful BA Brown Ale.

36. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,180) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Lots of people like to bash the brewery but I still get a kick out of Abita's Pecan Harvest which I would think you'd be able to find in your area... even though it's probably not my ideal brown, but it's got a unique distinct ingredient that's for sure...

mmm Pekkkkaaaawns....

Others mentioned already are great recommendations also, give em a go as well.

37. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (715) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

38. Another vote for St Bots!

39. Port Brewing's Board Meeting

Mammoth's Double Nut Brown

40. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,020) Michigan May 5, 2010

Avery Ellie's Brown Ale is my shit; something I buy more often than any other brown. Other notables for me are:

Goose Island Nut Brown, really impressed me.
    Epic Santa Cruz Brown ale(a bit hard to get for me, but is fucking amazing)
    Brooklyn Brown ale, surprisingly nice.
    Big Sky Moose Drool; nothing insane, just all around nice balanced brown ale with good flavors