1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Recipe critique

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ajaxivan, Apr 3, 2012.

1. I want to brew a Lagunitas Sumpin Sumpin clone for a memorial day party. I found this recipe on another site and would like some feedback from more experienced brewers on wether or not this looks good or what tweaks they would recommend.

9lb 2 row.
    3lb white wheat.
    1lb crystal 20.
    .5lb victory.

1oz Columbus 30 min
    1oz centennial 20min
    1oz cascade. 20min
    1oz cascade 10 min
    1oz Columbus. 10min
    .5oz cascade. 0min
    .5oz Columbus 0min
    .5oz centennial 0min
    Ibu 58
    OG 1.062
    FG 1.010
    Abv 6.8%
    Im just looking for something close, it doesn't need to be spot on. Thanks
  2. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Looks good to me, what yeast do you plan on using?
  3. Well that's a good question, haven't thought that far. What do you suggest?
  4. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Well, I think Lagunita's uses an English house strain of yeast, but I am not positive of that. I have read that WY1968 might be what they use. But, this beer would probably turn out great with an American strain. Safeale US-05, Wyeast 1056 or White Labs WL001 are all the same strain and would also be a great go to yeast for any American style ale.
  5. Yes I think you are correct about Lag using a English strain, I do have WY 1056 in the fridge that was washed from an earlier batch, maybe ill go with that. Thanks
  6. Does using 3oz of hops between 20-30 minutes actually help that much more for flavor/aroma, versus using a small 60 min bittering addition and adding another 1-1.5 ounces later in the boil? Seems to be an inefficient use of hops, but I've never tried it.
  7. I feel like there might be a higher percentage of wheat in it from what I taste in it the taste of it. I would guess 30 to 35% at least, if not more.
  8. Yeah, that's one of the things i was wondering about, i would have expected more wheat as well but i'm new to recipe formulation.
  9. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

Can you brew it did a fairly detailed interview. I think Tasty had to home toast some wheat.
  10. Yeah I am just basing this guess on a Pale Wheat Ale I make from time to time, I use about 50% wheat and 50% other base malt and the wheat flavor really comes through nicely. I get a similar taste from Sumpin Sumpin so I would venture to guess that it has a nice dose of wheat.
  11. MLucky

MLucky Savant (345) California Jul 31, 2010

Definitely listen to this: http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/705

I haven't heard it in a long time, but as I recall the clone recipe (which they arrived at via consultation with a Lagunitas brewer) is different from what you have, with no crystal and some torrified wheat, and some 'home roasted' wheat.

About the yeast, I'm pretty sure Lagunitas almost always uses WLP002/Wyeast 1968.
  12. Thanks for this. I just got done listening to it and it does appear to be quite different, im gonna have to play with it and maybe brew it a few times to tweak it. The challenge should be fun.
  13. Seems like you were correct. According to The Brewing Networks go at it anyway, 50% 2 row and 50% 3 different types of wheat.