1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Recommend Books On Beer in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Bevitore, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Bevitore

Bevitore Zealot (75) Maryland Feb 16, 2010

An old beer drinker here, 74 yoa and still enjoying it.

Long time ago, I bought Michael Jackson's World Guide to Beer. At the time, a comprehensive, interesting tour of beers of the world, country by country.

Can anyone recommend a good book on beer focusing on brews and brewing in the U.S.?

Many thanks and Happy New Year to all.

Bevitore

FUNKPhD likes this.
  2. Lots of general "Beer books" that just amount to long lists of the author's choice of the "best beers in the world" and lots of pretty pictures of bottles and glasses of beer - those get pretty dull after awhile (and are often short on facts, heavy on opinion). Same with the many "basic" introductions to beer, that try to cover every aspect without delving too deep into any one thing.

For something akin to Jackson's World Guide to Beer but concentrating on just US breweries there is Lew Bryson's (and others') " [State(s)] Breweries" series published by Stackpole Books -see Diners and Breweries.

They're just trade paperbacks on pulp paper, no illustrations beside B&W logoes and maps, so they lack WGB's "coffee table book" style but they are full of information on the breweries and their beers. Amazon will have them all I guess, and used copies can be picked up real cheap at most used book sites like ABE.

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  3. Plenum

Plenum Aficionado (225) New Jersey Apr 29, 2009

I think most books that focus on only one area are outdated before they are in their first printing. There are so many new brews and even breweries that keeping something like that current and on point would require contributors from nearly every state. And with US distribution so unbalanced, once you find out about something, getting it may prove to be an entirely new challenge.

I think going through the threads on a site like this or ratebeer.com will help you find what you're looking for. Just check things like the New Releases and the Regional threads. Checking the Ratings by Overall or by style will also help you find brews and breweries that you might not know about now.

And if you want 400 solicited opinions, just put a thread on here asking what the best beer of a particular style is, and you'll get a ton of different opinions.

4. Try "Brewed Awakening"

Stinger80OH likes this.
  5. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (655) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Just received "Brewed Awakening" for XMAS...so far, so good. Very informative for novice and professional craft beer consumers.

6. I was told to check out Wild Brews by Sparrow and just ordered on Amazon!

7. Bevitore

Bevitore Zealot (75) Maryland Feb 16, 2010

Thanks very much for all those suggestions, gents.

Love the title "Brewed Awakening", and found it on Amazon, along with Wild Brews. Speaking of Wild Brews, I had the great good fortune to live in Belgium from 1979 to 1982.

A beer drinker's paradise. Not to mention the cheese and Belgian french fries: best in the world.

lemongelo and sludgegnome like this.
  8. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I still think the Brewmaster's Table is the best beer book of all time. While it might be geared toward pairing beers with food, Garrett does a great job of explaining different styles, history, flagship examples, etc.
    I've probably read through some of those sections 20-30 times.