1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Recommend perfectly balanced stouts for me

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MCImes, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Bells Black Note is so good. In Jersey I find that Ten Fidy is easily obtainable and very balanced as well. Probably my go to stout.

2. Obsidian (Deschutes)

3. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Thanks for clearing things up OP, now pass me a towel to wipe the egg of my face.

4. Founders Porter

bifrost17 likes this.
  5. PORTerCITY

PORTerCITY Zealot (85) California Feb 9, 2013

Founders Breakfast Stout = Founders
    Velvet Merlin = Firestone

6. tylerf19

tylerf19 Zealot (90) Texas Jul 25, 2011

Old Rasputin... Clown shoes makes some killer stouts, vampire slayer and blaecorn unidragon... Both are 4.75/5 in my book

7. zachary80

zachary80 Savant (325) Indiana Nov 29, 2009

Some of these suggestions are ridiculous for being balanced. I suggest Obsidian Stout and Founders Porter based on the OP. And if you cross into the imperial zone, which is mentioned a lot in the post, I'd second Dark Horse Plead the 5th

edit: While typing, someone suggested Velvet Merlin, one I'd forgotten about but which is also an excellent suggestion

8. Good but sweet.

9. Personally, I like the obsidian stout and the Alaskan stout. I really got into both of these when I was stationed in anchorage. Since I've been back to the west coast, I like the ninkasi Outis stout and was glad to get my Alaskan again. Haven't had obsidian yet.

10. CTJman

CTJman Advocate (720) Connecticut Jan 14, 2013

Founders Breakfast is my go too. Most imperials may be too boozy if your looking for balanced

11. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

Deschutes obsidian, Anderson Valley and Samuel Smith oatmeal stouts are all well balanced. Any of the yetis are good for IRS.

12. themind

themind Savant (475) New Jersey Mar 14, 2011

Founders Breakfast Stout is IMO one of the greatest, attainable stouts out there. I feel it kicks the pants off of Founders Imperial and others. Yes there are a few stouts that are better and also some hype train stouts but this is my go to stout.

regularjohn likes this.
  13. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

FBS, FIS, old raspy, ten fidy, otter creek ris

14. ImageFX

ImageFX Aficionado (120) Florida Jan 29, 2013

I'm not sure I would consider Ten Fidy or Yeti a good balance although those are 2 of my favs. I also wouldn't recommend either of those as an all night beer because of how much body those stouts have.

If I were having someone try a stout with less body and still an imperial, I would probably have to go with something like Stoudts Fat Dog. It doesn't have the thickness of Ten Fidy and Yeti and the fumes are less noticeable when drinking (neither of which matter to me personally).

All Nighters (my opinion) - Left Hand Milk Stout/Nitro, Terrapin Moo Hoo, Anderson Valley Oatmeal, Stoudts Fat Dog, Bells Kalamazoo, Magic Hat Heart of Darkness, just to name a few.

Non All Nighters - Ten Fidy, Great Divide Yeti, Bells Expedition.

Sam Adams Imperial Stout is another good one that I think has a good balance.