1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Recommendations for beers from Ohio unavailable in Illinois

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by mecummins, Mar 14, 2013.

1. mecummins

mecummins Member

A co-worker's wife is driving to Ohio next week and offered to pick up some beer for her husband and me. Does any one have any recommendations for beers that Ohio might have that I can't get here in Chicago?
  2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Member

Listermann has some interesting beers.
    SDG1070 and Pinioned like this.
  3. CNelson013

CNelson013 Member

Fat heads, hoppin frog has some good stuff too.
    MickJ0nes likes this.
  4. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Member

Go to seekabrew.com there is a feature where you can compare the distribution of two states, see what they share and what is different, it's very cool
  5. gatornation

gatornation Member

BB1313 will have the answer Maybe Great Lakes?
  6. jampics2

jampics2 Member

Need to know what part of OH to answer.
    NABS likes this.
  7. Eastside151

Eastside151 Member

Pretty sure Great Lakes & Hoppin' Frog are distributed in Illinois. I would suggest Fatheads
    birchholz likes this.
  8. draheim

draheim Member

If only there were a regional forum that covered both of those states... ;)
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  9. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Member

If Kuhnhenn isn't available in OH, then ask them to drive to Michigan. :)
  10. Pinioned

Pinioned Member

In the Cincy/N. Ky area, you have Listermann and Christian Moerlein.

[​IMG]
    ChorBrew and Bitterbill like this.
  11. Alextricity

Alextricity Member

I only had their Loonie Kuhnie on-tap, but dear God... has to be the most drinkable pale ale I've had. GIMMEGIMMEGIMME.
  12. meanmutt

meanmutt Member

West Sixth IPA. It's from Kentucky...but only available in Kentucky and Ohio (Cincinnati area). Very tasty stuff.
    Pinioned likes this.
  13. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Member

I think they are the only MI brewery that doesn't distribute to IL, but I wish they did. They have been in business for 10+ years and make really good beer, but haven't expanded like the others. Fortunately, I have a MI connection who sends me their beer occasionally. Never had a bad one and most have been very good.
  14. frazbri

frazbri Member

Fathead's Headhunter IPA, Brew Kettle White Rajah and Columbus Brewing's Columbus IPA are Ohio brews to look for. (not all are available all the time in every city in the state)
  15. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Member

Rockmill Brewing if you like Belgian styles. Their stuff is probably found only in central Ohio stores but I could be wrong.
    JimDH likes this.
  16. JimDH

JimDH Member

Yeah, the city makes a big difference. White Rajah is available intermittently down in Cincinnati, unfortunately Columbus IPA isn't distributed there. Haven't had or sought Fatheads. I concur as to Columbus IPA--unfiltered and nicely balanced.
  17. Hopdaemon39

Hopdaemon39 Member

Fat Heads Headhunter IPA and Great Lakes (anything really) and Hoppin Frog B.O.R.I.S. or D.O.R.I.S
    MickJ0nes likes this.
  18. Cynic-ale

Cynic-ale Member

What styles are you looking for or prefer?
  19. BB1313

BB1313 Member

haha I would recommend GL, but I think they distribute to IL. I'll second The Brew Kettle White Rajah, Fat Heads Head Hunter, and Columbus IPA if you guys like IPAs. I'd recommend some Weyerbacher Insanity too, it just hit shelves.. I don't think Weyerbacher makes it to IL..
  20. HopCraverDave

HopCraverDave Member

Fat Heads Head Hunter
    MickJ0nes likes this.
  21. BB1313

BB1313 Member

We get their stuff here in NE Ohio.. they're awesome.. pricey, but awesome..
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  22. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes Member

How has no one said Jackie O's?

Definitely don't buy any Christian Moerlein.
    gpawned likes this.
  23. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Member

Troegs is in OH, but not IL.

Get yo self some!
    Noonan425, Ri0 and Eastside151 like this.
  24. brewtus

brewtus Member

Columbus ipa is so easy to find and it's super solid. A lot of these aren't easy to get all over the state If they're by a shop that fills growlers... Bodhi will trump any Ohio beer IMHO.
  25. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Member

White Rajah is a must! Thirsty dog, brew kettle bombers of old 21 and red eyepa, fat heads head hunter and oompa loops and their blueberry beer...did I mention white rajah? It's lie Ohio's Pliny, heady topper or jai alai!
  26. patpbr

patpbr Member

Christian Moerlein Northern Liberties IPA
  27. Chicago

Chicago Member

Chicago has pretty much everything that's good, but beyond special releases from places like Jackie O's I'd say Fat Head's Headhunter IPA, Columbus IPA, and The Brew Kettle's White Rajah covers it.
  28. frazbri

frazbri Member

It might be easy to find in C-bus, but I've never seen either in NW Ohio.
  29. gpawned

gpawned Member

Because the odds that the friend can just pick up some Jackie O's is pretty unlikely. But I like where your head is at.
    frazbri likes this.
  30. Keffa

Keffa Member

West Sixth is VERY, VERY solid:

[​IMG]

But as for other Ohio only stuff, Columbus IPA and Bodhi, Fat Heads Head Hunter, Brew Kettle White Rajah and Old 21, Rivertown Lambic. Those are my picks.
  31. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Member

Others have covered "the big three": Fat Head's Head Hunter, Columbus IPA, and Brew Kettle White Rajah. Bodhi is only available on tap, but if he can get a growler, you can always do that.

I don't know how distributed Ballast Point is in Illinois, but I know a friend of mine in Chicago always asks for Sculpin, so there is that.

Would also recommend some of Thirsty Dog's stuff, especially Siberian Night, as well as Troegs, since there still seems to be quite a bit of Nugget Nectar floating around.
  32. mecummins

mecummins Member

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the recommendations.
  33. jeffdill

jeffdill Member

Gotta reiterate what the others said. If she gets to Columbus definitely try to get some Columbus Brewing Bodhi from the brewpub, I think it's right up there with Heady as one of the best IPA's out there. Fat Heads Head Hunter and Brew Kettle White Rajah are also necessities.

Weasel Boy Bourbon Barrel Anastasia is fantastic too though. It's only on growler though, maybe it's available at the brewpub in Zanesville? I doubt that's where she's going but hey, it's worth a mention.
  34. trbergman

trbergman Member

It's available downstate, and coming to the Chicago area in May.
    mecummins likes this.
  35. Cynic-ale

Cynic-ale Member

CBC's Creeper is out now if you like DIPAs.
  36. Pinioned

Pinioned Member

I have it on good authority that Rivertown's Lamibc and Gueze are good as well.
  37. Keffa

Keffa Member

No, it's not available at the brewpub. The last place I knew that STILL had it was Weilands in Columbus. This most likely has changed by this point.

Cheers,
    Kef
  38. beerhan

beerhan Member

Columbus IPA was actually on tap for a good two months in northwest Ohio for hoptoberfest. Bottles never made it here but it has definitively been on draft.
  39. HopHeadHerman

HopHeadHerman Member

Short's does not distribute to IL.
  40. --Dom--

--Dom-- Member

columbus ipa