1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Recommended Euro Lagers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by FriedGold2112, Jan 8, 2013.

1. FriedGold2112

FriedGold2112 Aficionado (165) Apr 12, 2012

I want to explore more European lagers(especially German) this spring/summer. There are a ton of imports available in my area, but I've really only been in-touch with American craft breweries lately. Anyone have any recommendations for a Munich, Marzen, Dutch lager, etc?
  2. "Euro lager" is a colloquial derogatory term describing such featureless beers as Stella, Heineken, Peroni,Carlsberg, Becks etc.I have a short list of recommendations from these; none.Often they are the most expensive beers in a pub with craft brews significantly cheaper but apart from this they earn no consideration in this thread.
    Pahn, steveh and RichardMNixon like this.
  3. Schiehallion is really nice as a cask lager but it's not as good in the bottle - although still a fair bit better than most pale lagers.
  4. I agree w/Marquis above, but there are a couple that, for some reason or other (maybe who I shared it with, the times I've had it, etc) I've enjoyed. I particularly like Svyturys (Lithuanian) if you can get it freshish.
  5. I know it's not highly rated here, but I absolutely love Bitburger. 16oz. cans of that stuff are always welcome in my fridge.
    Crusader likes this.
  6. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Agreed -- to the O.P.: don't confuse some of the styles you mention with "Euro Lager."

Here's the list of Euro Lagers: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/37
    Here are some better choices: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/21
    dennis3951 likes this.
  7. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (455) Germany Jul 31, 2011

That should be Maibock season...perhaps OP could track down Hofbräu's version? I also like their Original. Augustiner's Edelstoff is (I think?) an Export lager which may be widely available.
  8. steveh

Even now HB has a Winter Spezial out that's very similar to their Wiesn Oktoberfest -- and well worth checking out for anyone looking for how good a lager can actually be.
  9. There are a number of lagers imported from Europe that are worthwhile drinking. The challenge is obtaining good versions of those beers; good means the beer is not too old and/or beat up in transport. It has been my experience that with the exception of Doppelbocks, European lagers are ‘sensitive’ beers and prone to easily going bad due to age and poor transportation handling.

An example of a beer that seems to being managed properly is Pilsner Urquell with their freshness initiative. I just wish they would have added a process change of not pasteurizing the imported beer.

“Extensive measures, including refrigerated, express shipping and fully enclosed packaging, ensure this is the freshest Pilsner Urquell ever available in the U.S.

“The primary enemies to beer are light, time and heat,” said Vaclav Berka, the Pilsner Urquell brewmaster. “Due to these factors, the Pilsner Urquell that people have drunk in the U.S. over the past years simply has not been the equivalent of the fresh Pilsner Urquell available in the Czech Republic. We are changing that.”

The beer is now packaged in fully enclosed secondary cartons that ship from the brewery within 30 days aboard refrigerated containers. This helps stop the aging process of the beer. Distributors also will maintain the beer’s refrigeration once they receive it.

The new quality measures for Pilsner Urquell will be vitally important to the beer drinker’s experience, addressing each of the “enemies” of beer.
    •Time: Express shipping dramatically reducing transit time.
    •Temperature: Temperature-controlled, refrigerated shipping from the brewery, slowing the beer’s aging process.
    •Light: New fully enclosed secondary packaging, keeping light from striking the bottles.”

I would recommend some other European lagers assuming you can obtain them fresh and not beat up:

· Weihenstephan: Original (Helles), Pilsner and Festbier
    · Ayinger: Dunkel, Jahrhundert Bier (Helles), Oktober Fest-Märzen
    · Mahr’s: Ungespundet-hefetrüb (Kellerbier), Pilsner, Bock-Bier
    · Furst Wallerstein: Zwickel, Pilsner
    · Jever: Pilsner

I have no Dutch lagers that I can recommend. Hopefully somebody will provide input here.

Good luck on your exploration of European Lagers! Remember: freshness is key!!

Cheers!
  10. Overlord

Overlord Initiate (0) California Jun 28, 2007

While not "Euro," or even a "Lager" for that matter, I really think based upon your prior posts and comments on these forums you should seek out a bottle of Samuel Adams Triple Bock before they're all gone. You'll love it.
    Chaz likes this.
  11. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Good luck with this actually happening!!
  12. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

If you enjoy pilsners I would recommend Bitburger and Jever pilsener. I also find that König pilsener is quite good. For a Munich helles I would suggest Hofbräu Original.
  13. I understand your cynicism here; I have been cynical about the marketing ploys of the mega-breweries lately.

It is my understanding that the majority of wholesale beer distributors do indeed refrigerate the beers that they have (in storage). So, in all probability the statement of “Distributors also will maintain the beer’s refrigeration once they receive it” is likely to be true at the wholesale level.

The ‘weak link’ is retailers. I was recently at two local retailers (a retail beer distributor and a bottle shop within my local Wegmans Supermarket). In both instances the Pilsner Urquell was not refrigerated. The cases were sitting on a floor at the retail beer distributor and on a shelf at Wegmans.

Cheers!
    Horbar likes this.
  14. steveh

It's been working well in my area.
  15. steveh

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, he speaks only with tongue-in-cheek and is trying to poison you.
  16. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Weihenstephaner Original is a great Munich Helles
    Chaz, herrburgess and Horbar like this.
  17. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Some very good recommendations so far. I'd add this one for the Märzen style:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/39/1361

Of the Dutch lagers, Christoffel Blonde and Robertus are better than average, and Bavaria 8.6 is a personal favorite (but I've always enjoyed the aroma of gasoline fumes, too!)
    gatornation likes this.