1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Recommended Glassware That You Prefer Not to Use

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Porkhustle, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

I have every type of glassware imaginable to suit the needs of all styles for which I consume- which is basically every style offered in my area of distribution. Still, there are styles of glassware which are recommended that I opt not to because I find the experience more pleasurable in another type of glassware.

Wheat beer glasses for heffs. I hate the size for starters, but every time I use one the head seems to rapidly dissapear. Also, I hate having to tilt my head that much. For heffs I prefer a tuliped pint

Pilsner glasses for lagers. I prefer a Willie glass which is more sturdy. For some reason when I use a pilsner glass I down the beer extremely fast.

Snifter glasses for imperials. Again, an awkward glass to hold, and using a tulips pint doesn't seem to have any downside risks, comparatively.

Steins. The feel is equivalent to, though on a smaller scale, doing side shoulder raises with a dumbbell

Pint shakers just blow all around.

lancecenter and RyanMM like this.
  2. jk3

jk3 Savant (355) New York Nov 18, 2011

Just pour it. Anything is better than the glass it comes in.;)

3. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

I do pour it, I thought that was evident. ;)

4. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

I have a wide mouth mason jar that is versatile with most styles. It even has a screw cap so my beer won't spill in my Jeep.

5. I think glassware is overated. All you need are shaker pints and red wine glasses and your covered for any style.

Parrotshake and JuicesFlowing like this.
  6. I definitely prefer to not use this glass if I can avoid it:

[​IMG]

I can still remember being out with a large group and some were being ridiculed for the "pretentiousness" of drinking pumpkin beer from cinnamon rimmed glasses. Then my beverage came.

7. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (650) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

Unless I get a branded Cantillon one I don't see myself ever desiring to use one of the traditional Gueuze tumblers. I'd much prefer a tulip or snifter to better appreciate all of the complexity of the style.

8. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

Large bowl and mouth wine glass. Gotta swirl the product. Releases aroma, and the foam and all looks great as it settles.

Ricelikesbeer likes this.
  9. fox227

fox227 Advocate (565) California Nov 19, 2010

For some reason I don't like the 13ounce tulip glasses, very much. My number one reason is that they seem to ruin the head within 30 seconds every time.

10. kuhndog

kuhndog Savant (330) New York Sep 6, 2011

Maybe it's just me, but I just can't bring myself to drink anything out of a tulip or snifter type glass. I feel like a wine snob when drink out of those type glasses. Most of the time I just use a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

outsider likes this.
  11. What? No thistle glass for them wee heavies/scotch ales?

12. Drinking horns
    [​IMG]

jgluck, Blueribbon666, dsal89 and 7 others like this.
  13. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I'm kinda with you, I have various glasses that I never use either. I'm not big on pint glasses but have a few that I'll use once in a while. Normally I use snifters, some rounded Dogfish glasses, and the big English-style stout mugs for pretty much everything. I occasionally like to use my weiss glass for high carbed beers.

14. Ricelikesbeer

Do you like Belgian beer? I find that snifters really allow a lot of aroma to come out, and for the head to dissipate correctly. Any other type of glass for some of those styles and you're taking 15 minutes to pour a beer.

15. Ricelikesbeer

Haha that glass is so ridiculous. You truly have to be in the right place to order it. I've always wanted to but it seems that places charge a fortune.- probably just for the gimmick value of it.

16. Personally I do not like going to a bar and being served beer in a dimple mug.. Personal preference I guess

lancecenter, YogiBeer and kuhndog like this.
  17. jaybags

jaybags Savant (270) Michigan Mar 16, 2012

for some reason i dont like drinking out of traditional pint glasses and stange glasses

i prefer tulips, snifters and other variations

lancecenter likes this.
  18. This.

19. I personally do not like pint glasses or weiss beer glasses. I like snifters the most, but tulips and those Lagunitas mason jars are great too.

20. I'm not a fan of the Belgian Chalice's, Chimay, St. Bernardus, etc.
    It's too wide and the beer comes to close to the top, feels like I'm always gonna spill it, or when I take a sip pour half of it down my shirt, or maybe I'm just drunk...

21. MCImes

MCImes Savant (360) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

I only own Tulip glasses. any beer I drink, I want to taste and smell as much as possible and I think the tulip does the best job

Also, as others have said, the Kwak, Pilsner, chalice, and tumbler glasses are all harder to drink out of.

So I disapprove of anything besides a tulip.

If not a tulip, just give me a standard tapered pint glass

RyanMM and BrownAleMale like this.
  22. michman

michman Savant (275) Illinois Oct 14, 2005

i prefer anything with thinner glass walls over a traditional shaker pint! bleh. my personal fav is a traditional english nonic pint and tulips are always nice for those higher abv brews that your not consuming in mass quantities in a sitting.

23. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (915) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I refuse to use a stein for anything. The ceramic affects the taste, to its detriment.

I prefer nonical pint glasses to conical pint glasses every single time.

If I had bigger cajones, I'd use a Kwak glass for everything. Because you're not cool unless your glassware could shatter at any moment.

I think snifters are over-used by most beer enthusiasts. I favor my Guinness goblet for imperial stouts, but if I had a Teku I'd probably use that for pretty much everything.

24. I can't stand tulips. So many failed tulip designs, over exaggerated flares on the rim... I use them often, but I tend to find that most are just embellished glassware. I prefer a Newcastle Geordie Schooner.

25. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (655) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

I feel like I end up drinking Gueuze so much faster out a traditional tumbler than a tulip glass. Weird.

26. I hate using shaker pints and steins. You lose so much of the experience.

If I can help it I only use my new Belgium egg glass at home. All the aroma capture of a wine glass with better head retention, and it holds a full imperial pint

lancecenter and JK4Stout like this.
  27. Kaisermatt

Kaisermatt Savant (250) Ohio Jun 6, 2011

Nothing like Das Boot! Though I only bring it out for German beers. I rarely end up using my Chalice. Usually use my tulip or pint glasses.
    [​IMG]

kerry4porters and davey101 like this.
  28. I like my New Belgium globe for about everything. I feel rediculous drinking out of a weizen or pils glass for some reason. I like my nonic imperial pint glass too. My Libby craft brew set that i got as a wedding gift came with a glass called a "craft brew" glass haha. But honestly it's pretty nice. 20 oz, and it tapers in a little at the top to concentrate the aromas. But most of the time I go for the globe.

kerry4porters and lancecenter like this.
  29. Not a fan of pilsner glasses.

30. I have pretty much every type of glass out there but I tend to drink a lot of beers out of shaker pints. If it's something more aromatic I'll pull out an appropriate stemmed glass but most session beers I drink don't benefit enough from specific glassware to need to wash that much glassware each time I want to have a few beers.

31. Agreed. And I hate cleaning/polishing them.

32. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (395) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

"Recommend some music you don't like?" "Hey, what are some of your favorite movies you hate?"

...WHAT????

33. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

I'm a big fan of the old fashioned/rocks glass as an all arounder for some reason

RobertColianni likes this.
  34. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I pretty much exclusively drink from my Spiegelau tulips anymore.

MDDMD and Rob-P like this.
  35. JK4Stout

JK4Stout Aficionado (240) Virginia May 10, 2010

I use pint shakers pretty often, but if it is something that I really think the glassware will make a difference I will use a Tulip Pint. I have a great set of Wheat glasses and can't get on board.
    Also, the Dogfishhead and the Sam Adam's glass (I know not everyone's favorite thing, but that brewery does a lot of good) is just a pain to wash afterward.

36. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

I have a set of these, but I find them only suited to a few certain styles

37. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I love an old fashioned Pils glass. I like half tulips too, made for red wine but still great across the board.

38. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (955) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Flutes. I've never seen anyone drink beer from a flute.

jgluck likes this.
  39. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I don't prefer to drink out of plain shaker pints. I collect them, but there are better options.

Blueribbon666 likes this.