1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Recommended Glassware That You Prefer Not to Use

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Porkhustle, Dec 21, 2012.

1. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

I don't use much besides tulips and pint glasses. Trappist beers go in a Rochefort chalice, but that's about it.

Hatzilla likes this.
  2. I dont really like British Pint glasses. Also, I love snifters, but I have some that get really narrow at the top, and I dont really ever use those as it tends to impart an odd medicinal phenolic aroma with almost any beer I pour into it.

On the other side of the spectrum, I actually like drinking out of plan shaker pints, which everyone seems to think is a worse thing for a beer drinker to do than have an O'Douls.

3. Im not a fan of drinking from a tapered pint. It has noth7ng to do with taste and everything to do with smell. Any beers that dont have a strong aroma become hard for me to get a good nose on. I guess this is why I prefer to use my tulips glass.

lancecenter likes this.
  4. I just use the same glass for everything I drink. My trusty mug

[​IMG]

stayclean likes this.
  5. Only glass I use is my Duvel and my Stone pint glass. Pretty much covers all styles I think.

6. I like your style..

7. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

I hate pilsner glasses or anything taller than a regular pint glass.

yuriruley likes this.
  8. I'm not a big fan of pilsner glasses. I use shaker pints, snifters, and of course the ridiculous liter-sized dimpled Paulaner mug for post-race celebration. I only use the Paulaner about 10-12 times per year, but my God it's fun.

9. I have a decent collection from various breweries and generic glasses but glassware is a personal preference. If you enjoy your beers out of a styrofoam cup, then that is the best glass to drink out of.

10. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

Styrofoam feels weird when it rubs against my epic BA beard...then my beard birds just peck it to bits.

11. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (340) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

I know it's not proper, but I use this bad boy here for everything.

[​IMG]

12. hoppusmaxximus likes this.
  13. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

14. I have the same problem with my handlebar mustache. It's glassware for me from here on out.

15. Absolut

Absolut Savant (420) California Sep 19, 2011

pilsner glass and frosted mug.

was once served a stout in a frosted mug. not a good thing.

16. RyanMM

RyanMM Aficionado (210) Michigan Mar 12, 2009

I drink everything out of Duvel tulips. I hate the "each beer needs it's own glass" bullshit.

I also like the Libby Embassy line of brandy snifters. I use the 6oz version when I conduct tastings. I have about 14 dozen of them I think.

17. I prefer a Duvel glass for almost everything, and a Sam Adams Perfect Pint for the rest. Both have the laser etching on the bottom that keep the beer releasing bubbles, which keeps the beer more aromatic. Enough said.

18. StoutSeth

StoutSeth Savant (265) Virginia Sep 24, 2010

My New Belgium globe... That's all I use

lancecenter likes this.
  19. Almost everything. Sometimes I use a mug.

I do use my Leffe goblet for the stronger Belgian/Abbey ales. And weizens often go in a weizen glass.

I have every type of glassware (and various branded ones) but other then the above I rarely use most of them for beer.

20. The Duvel was the best glass I had.... until I broke it by hitting the faucet when washing it.

21. johnkale

johnkale Aficionado (205) Wisconsin Dec 19, 2009

If more hefes would just come in .5 liter quantities to start with I'm sure I'd use the appropriate glassware more often. I always just end up pouring them into my NG pilsener glasses instead.

Tulips are nice, but since I broke my last one I've been perfectly content using a Sam Adams Perfect Pint for most lighter styles and a snifter for the boozier stuff. And the NG pilsener glass for most anything vaguely German.

22. anglagard1

anglagard1 Savant (255) Wisconsin Nov 17, 2010

I don't like pilsner glasses for most beers they are recommended for, but I do find them to be the perfect glass for Hinterland's Maple Bock.

23. Lex_Talionis

Lex_Talionis Aficionado (110) Dec 13, 2012

I almost ALWAYS use my snifter for everything, mainly because I drink Imperial Stouts.

24. MaxOhle

MaxOhle Savant (345) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Although I will get some smack for this, I typically use a pilsner glass for most of my beer.

25. acelin

acelin Savant (300) Kansas Feb 14, 2009

I think we all know a Batch 19 Growler is by far the best glass to drink any beer from.

lancecenter likes this.
  26. Why not relax, and do your drinking at home eh?
    Just saying........safer for everyone.

27. I'm not a huge fan of shaker pints, but I do have plenty of them around. Mainly because I have many friends and relatives who enjoy beer, but aren't as enthusiastic about it as I am. I can bring these out at any time and I'm not worried if they get broken because they are so inexpensive. My most-used glasses are my New Belgium globes, my Deschutes snifters, and my Russian River stem.

28. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

I like the glass that was designed at harvard and cost shitloads of money, that I can buy for like 2 dollars. Thanks, Mr Cook.

29. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Ive used almost every type of glass and i enjoy them all.

30. Zach136

Zach136 Advocate (555) Georgia Jun 17, 2012

KBS from a New Holland Flute ;)

[​IMG]

I tend to agree in most situations, but it sure worked great here.

On topic: I dislike pilsners almost as much as I dislike their glasses so I avoid them all together. I agree with the Chalice comment someone made earlier... not my favorite glass.

I do like a nice weizen glass to hold the head on wheat beers. The majority of my beer goes in snifters/tulips. I bust out the Teku for special occasions. If I had more I'd probably use it exclusively, not because it "enhances" the beer - because it looks so bad ass.

31. Have the Mug/Stein , Pint/Tumbler as my fav's
    enjoy Pilsner/Pokal and Weizen also German heritage maybe?
    Don't enjoy goblet/chalice , snifter and tulip as much , love me some Belgian Dark Ale's thou

32. I have lots of different styles of glasses but I always seem to use snifters or tulips for everything.

lancecenter and whiskey like this.
  33. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

This vessel is EPIC, emblazoned with an epic beer!

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  34. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

This, indeed. Still don't own a pilsner glass because I'd rarely use it. 2nd would be the shaker pints, I own a few but there are better pint glasses. I prefer the shape of my Left Hand pint, which is an English tulip pint.

35. What's wrong with this glass? I used it last night for some homebrew

[​IMG]
    image by dachshunddude86, on Flickr

Oh, right, I forgot to wash it instantly and now its gonna be a bitch and a half to get the dried raspberry seeds out of the bottom :(

36. I love my snifters and tulips. Becoming a huge fan of Pokal glasses too.

37. That mug is filthy! look at all the nucleation sites.

lancecenter likes this.
  38. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

You must be doing it wrong when it comes to hefeweizen (the size is appropriate in Germany because the majority of them come in .5L bottles).

39. MDDMD

MDDMD Advocate (550) Pennsylvania Jun 4, 2011

Spiegalau tulips for most beers.

hoppusmaxximus likes this.