1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Recommended Glassware That You Prefer Not to Use

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Porkhustle, Dec 21, 2012.

1. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

And frosted and that pour is absurd...wtf is going on in that photo, it is driving me insane!!!

2. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

I largely drink aventenius and vitus , and those are .5 l.

pixieskid likes this.
  3. Funny to see how many people dislike pilsner glasses as that's one of the few style-specific glasses that is actually the optimal glass for the style when made well. Pils out of anything else just isn't presented as well.

nc41 likes this.
  4. It's actually a myth that just because some of the little bubbles stick to the side of the glass automatically means the glass is dirty. Please consult your local scientist. I can assure you I keep my preferred glassware immaculately clean :cool:

5. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

A narrow Willie glass worked very well with Pils

6. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

So what's wrong with the size then?

BTW, the reason I said that you're "doing it wrong" is because you mentioned poor head retention with the weizen glasses.

If poured correctly, into a clean glass (I will admit those can be a pain in the ass to clean properly" you should have a solid 3-4 finger head and typically a 1 finger head of retention while you drink it. The shape seems to stimulate a bit of carbonation as you drink it; my experience at least.

7. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I'll echo a few other people: I do not think that gueuze tumblers or most Belgian chalices are particularly good glasses for their respective styles. I'm also not particularly a fan of the Teku glass (looks neat, but doesn't do an especially good job with aromas and is a bit awkward to drink from).

My Spiegelau tulips are my go-to glasses at home, but I have a couple sturdier tulips and snifters that I take to bottle shares.

8. Tulip glass>all other glasses

9. most maine beer must be consumed in a baxter glass can. otherwise, propper glasswear.

hoppusmaxximus likes this.
  10. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I tend to drink Baxter beer out of their glass...but that's about it...coolest glass ever though.

11. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Goblets and chalices. They're like the stereotypical cheerleader/model/beauty pageant contestant: beautiful to behold and handle, but useless in almost every other way. Head retention? Sucks. Aroma? Sucks. It can be fun on occasion, but it's mostly like trying to drink out of a bowl.

LGB362, lancecenter, jgluck and 2 others like this.
  12. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Savant (305) New Hampshire Feb 19, 2012

A lot of people will disagree with me on this but I rarely if ever use my Duvel tulip glass. Not that it's a bad glass, it's just so big and really only works best if I pour two bottles into it.

lancecenter likes this.
  13. Anything that isn't a pint glass.

But really, any glass that is a pain in the ass to wash gets the boot from me. Annoying things ruin my good time, and that's just not acceptable.

lancecenter likes this.
  14. You can get nucleation sites from the frost itself. The mug doesn't have to be dirty. What's really wrong with this picture is the frost. That beer deserves to be served at the proper temperature, not in a frozen mug.

lancecenter likes this.
  15. I have been bitten and am afraid I have contracted TEKU fever

darkandhoppy and lancecenter like this.
  16. Oh, the Hoegaarden glass is just a terrible thing to drink any beer out of.

lancecenter likes this.
  17. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (445) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

IN the bathtub, but not OUT OF the bathtub.

lancecenter likes this.
  18. godlessape

godlessape Savant (300) Georgia Dec 12, 2010

When drinking a really good beer, regardless of style, I use a snifter or a Sam Adams pint glass. I like to get my nose all in there. When drinking adjuncts--like my Miller High Life right now--I use ordinary pint glasses.

inchrisin likes this.
  19. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (445) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

How else are you going to burn off all those empty calories? Keg stands don't count unless you're holding yourself up. :) I think steins are a great lazy way to slosh around drunk. It has its occasions.

lancecenter likes this.
  20. Snifter for me is the most commonly used glass. Tulip is next, but my personal favorite is a snifter. Helps warm it up, I drink slower, looks awesome, etc.. Tulips the head dissipates quickly IMO.

Pint glasses are next for lower alcohol beers. I have a Chimay glass, and a stein. Rarely use either (maybe once for the novelty).

Cvescalante likes this.
  21. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

Anything heavy. A thick beer mug or goblet doesnt really serve much purpose to me. I don't see the need for anything other than a regular pint glass, a snifter, or a tulip. If you have all three, then you should be able to thoroughly enjoy any beer style.

mcrago and TonyJ815 like this.
  22. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

Not a fan of "skinny" glasses (stem, pilsener, flute, although I do use weizen glasses). I'd much rather drink pilseners and doppelbocks out of pint glasses.

23. hfc

hfc Initiate (15) Dec 25, 2012

hate to use : stein, weizen, tulip

i don't think i'm drinking a beer when drinking from these.

24. you're right, it could be scratched all to hell too. Bubbles need something to cling to, either dirt or scratches...or ice

25. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Savant (320) Florida Apr 2, 2011

I have a largish ~16 oz snifter that I use for just about everything. Wide bowl with a fluted lip is the perfect shape IMO. I use a tulip sometimes for Belgians, but that's about it.

26. The pint glass. Yes, I deserve a right kicking.

woodchipper likes this.
  27. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I love a great Pils glass.

28. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Love to collect, absolutely hate them for drinking.

Zimbo likes this.
  29. All my beer gets drunk from three glasses: a tulip pint (imperial), a conical maybe-pint and a Chimay glass that more often contains Westmalle or St. Bernardus. I used to have a Black Sheep Riggwelter glass that was great and worked especially well for Weizens, but unfortunately I broke it on a bottle of Schneider Aventinus.

30. cool glass! kinda like a beaker. I have a Lagunitas mason jar glass that's pretty close and just as cool to drink from.

I tend to drink most everything out of a Gandhi Bot snifter. I also find the Willi Becher glass shape very satisfying.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  31. ...but to the thread, I almost never drink from a pint glass at home. Tulips and delicate stemware almost never get used either. I like SOLID glassware

32. Haha My gf got that for me for Christmas Its pretty Awsome and I enjoy using it /deciding which glass to use.