1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Recommending beers others can get, not ones they can't

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cavedave, Feb 17, 2013.

1. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Okay, for about the billionth time I have seen a thread asking for recommendations, and for the billionth time folks are recommending beers OP cannot possibly get, sometimes cannot get even by trade. For instance, an imaginary example, recommending Pliny The Younger to some Georgia resident who wants to try a great IIPA.

Some folks do this purely to hype their own locals, or to blow their own horn, as in "see, I can get this fantastic beer, you can't, aren't you jealous now?"

Others are not aware that there is an easy to use, wonderful website for beer distribution. Even better it is admin.'ed by a great BA., seekabrew.com.

Let's take the moment necessary to make good recommendations to folks of beers they can get more easily. It is a lot simpler for us to check first before replying than for an OP to sift through a thread of recommendations for those few actually distro to area.

Prob. not a lot to reply to here, but any suggestions/replies that will keep this bumped so all can see it and learn is appreciated. Cheers!

dar482, AxesandAnchors, Tut and 16 others like this.
  2. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

This is a two sided problem. Lets also get those people asking for a recommendation to post the request in their regional forum and indicate clearly where they are located so it actually is possible for recommenders to have a shot a guessing what might be local to the person making the request.

Edit: Even knowing the state may not be enough. There are plenty of beers distributed into SEPA that the rest of PA never sees. There are beers distributed into Pittsburgh that don't get into SEPA.

3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Yeah, and it doesn't help when you click on the profile and their location isn't noted.

4. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I find it beyond annoying when there is a thread titled "Favorite Stout Ever" and some jackass chimes in with some local, tap/brewery only, never to be distributed beer that only .05% of the population have ever had the opportunity to try. I sincerely doubt they would even remember having this beer if they were just passing through but since it's brewed by their home town, "favorite", brewery...all of a sudden it's a world class, best they ever had stout. I don't know...maybe I'm a grouch.

davelag likes this.
  5. JimmyW

JimmyW Savant (270) Illinois Feb 17, 2011

Great point by OP cavedave. A thoughtful recommendation can go a long way and save lots of time with less headache.

ESeab likes this.
  6. drtth

Or maybe the person's experience is so limited they really do think it’s the best? :)

Bitterbill and ChefHopMeister like this.
  7. I don't think this is a problem if the person posting the reply is willing to trade his or her recommendation. For instance, I live fourty minutes from jacks Abby brewery and just a few hours from northern vt. Even though most of the world may be outside the distribution network for brews I may suggest, I would gladly remedy that issue for a pty or something along those lines. Cheers!

8. You are a grouch, but you have a good point lol . My local Brew Pub sells a Pilsner that imo is as good as it gets. Unless the person asking lives in North or Central NJ I would not mention it.

9. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

I agree with this 100%. I live in Upstate NY and here are just a few beers from the Top 250 list are not available:

Heady Topper
    Pliny the Younger
    Pliny the Elder
    Zombie Dust
    Hopslam
    The Abyss
    Supplication
    Bourbon Barrel Aged Vanilla Bean Dark Lord
    Citra DIPA
    Surly Abrasive
    Two Hearted

Now, I can't blame someone from elsewhere from suggesting or recommending a beer that is readily available in their area, just that unless one wants to get involved in the expensive practice of trading there is no way to get many beers here and even if one was willing to trade, those who have these beers might not want anything available here.

I drink mainly imports and beers from the Northeast US because that is what is readily available. I buy my beer from Beers of the World, which I have heard is one of the largest bottle shops in NY State. The store by sq footage is more than 60% imports. There is more room devoted to German beers than all the breweries from California, Oregon and Washington State combined. Founder's was not even available here until a few months ago.

I no longer get irritated by this, no longer feel offended by the 'I only drink West Coast IPAs and Barrel Aged Imperial Stouts' crowd nor do I try to convert anyone to my way of drinking beer. I drink about 2 cases of beer a week, at least half of which is Fuller's London Pride. Beer Advocate is indispensable to me and an everyday part of my life. The point is there are many types of craft beer drinkers and even though the WCIPA/ BARIS crowd maybe the most vocal they don't represent everyone here. If you are passionate about good beer and want to learn more about beer then Beer Advocate is for you.

10. For an upstate New York resident, I highly recommend saranac's ginger and lemon high peaks! A very gingery lemony saison.

11. For a lot of people trading for beer just isn't a realistic option. It's not that it's impossible but there is a big jump between going to a local store to purchase beer, to linking up with strangers on the internet and paying x dollars in shipping costs. Plus casual enthusiasts rarely have access to something worth trading for Heady Topper or Pliny or whatever. Anything you can buy at your local store on a regular basis probably won't entice someone to ship you rare or limited distribution beers.

LMT, mackeyse and ThisWangsChung like this.
  12. this, because inquiring on the open BT forum begs random... "beer talk", which some of the feedback there seems more intoxicated than responses to requests in more specific forum areas.;)

as to the OP, i think members often just blast off on stuff sometimes recommending things they themselves haven't & probably can't find either. it just sounds good, i guess. i'm guilty of being excessively cynical at times myself. i do try my best to be mindful when i feel like someone is legitimately in need of assistance.

another thing i'd add... most BAs actually are friendly - believe it or not, myself included. a few things i didn't understand i messaged members that i was confident knew &/or i verified were in the correct region/circles to know. part of the problem is as OP and quoted member mentions, the inquirers either are new(er) or haven't taken the time to become more familiar with resources they could use more efficiently.

13. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Good points all, and I have seen it added to some posts as a preface, "You may have to trade for this one." And there are beers not available in our own areas that we can get from on line stores that end up costing about the same as trading if one is smart with his purchase. So on line strore recommends to someone who is new might also be helpful.

But I think generally it is better to first recommend a tasty and locally available treat. While Rushing Duck Ded Moroz is probably equal to Stone IRS, I don't think a draft only limited distro like Ded Moroz is the answer to someone in Kansas City, but Stone IRS certainly is.

14. WBD

WBD Zealot (95) South Carolina Feb 3, 2013

I guess I fall towards the side where I want to hear your favs even when they cannot be found near my home. I make mental notes of them and do look them up when I travel to areas that have them. My local beer dude gets some unbelievable kegs so a growler of west coast IPA can be had.

15. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

I completely agree and whenever anyone in person or on here asks for suggestions I always take ease of purchase into account. I'm happy you brought this subject up it is one thing that is a bit annoying when people are asking for help. It's obvious when someone is asking for a realistic suggestion or when dreaming in a perfect world where any beer is accessible. I'm ready to venture into sours and don't think I have a fighting chance on finding anything if I listen to suggestions on here from some people.

16. drtth

While we're discussing this two sided problem, let's look at the poster who doesn't tell us where s/he is who is planning a trip to, say San Diego or SEPA, or some other beer destination, and wants to know what they should look for that s/he can't get locally. (For that matter even if s/he does say where is local for them... :)

17. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Oh no, not another Hill Farmstead thread?!?

18. Zimm

Zimm Savant (490) New Jersey May 18, 2012

What and where would that be?

19. This does happen very often, but part of the problem is people don't write where they are from or DON'T F'ING LIST WHERE THEY ARE FROM ON THEIR PROFILE! I think that is the bigger issue to me.

cavedave likes this.
  20. I would guess Traprock.
    He is New Providence

21. well said

22. You are correct. I didn't name it because it might seem like soliciting and the Brothers don't like that.

23. Trap Rock Berkley Heights

24. I agree with this 100%. I thought MA's distribution was really strong, until I came on here and saw the Top 250 and how many I couldn't get. Does the East Coast get more Foreign offerings in exchange for the lack of West Coast items?

25. I will never forget going to a Total Wine in NC looking for Russian River in my early days of craft beer after reading about it on a forum. I was clueless.

26. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I generally agree with the OP's premise, particularly the point about one-off or extremely limited draft-only beers.
    On the other hand, if I'd stuck only to beers available in my region in seeking out the "best" versions of a given style, I might have missed out on some great regionally distributed beers from breweries like Alchemist, Allagash, Alpine, Ballast Point, Bell's, Brooklyn, Cantillon, Cigar City, Fantôme, Founders, Ithaca, Jolly Pumpkin, Kern River, Mikeller, Nebraska Brewing, New Glarus, Pipeworks, Smuttynose, Surly, Terrapin, Three Floyds, Weyerbacher...

27. Zimm

Zimm Savant (490) New Jersey May 18, 2012

Thank you, I will check it out!

28. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (440) New York Jan 19, 2013

Great web site, Cavedave. I forgot about that. Makes me suddenly feel the need to visit PA.

29. drtth

While not all of these are available everywhere, here's about as complete a list of what comes into PA as you'll find to suppliment that web site.

http://www.lcbapps.lcb.state.pa.us/webapp/registered_brands.asp

PS--if you do visit SEPA looking for something, folks in the mid-atlantic region can be very helpful with locations that have stuff in stock or on tap.