1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Recycling beer containers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TripleDigitIBUs, May 16, 2012.

?

What do you do with your leftover beer containers?

1. I put my empty beer cans and bottles into the blue bin.

50 vote(s)
    49.0%
  2. I exchange my empty beer cans and/or bottles for cash.

20 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. I fill my empty beer bottles with homebrew.

43 vote(s)
    42.2%
  4. I crush beer cans and smash beer bottles in anger.

4 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. Recycling? I dump them on my neighbors lawn and run away.

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. As beer drinkers, we inevitably go though more cans and bottles than our sober counterparts. What do you do with that bag of empties when it comes time to clean up? I usually put the beer bottles in the bin, while the cans get saved up to exchange for cash (with an occasional angry smashing now and then :mad:).

What do you do? I am particularly interested in hearing the differences in opinion between the 5 cent and 10 cent states, and if anybody drives over the border to recycle their empty beer containers.

2. I mainly recycle, will probably save some for filling with homebrew and keep the really cool/awesome/rare bottles on a book shelf.

3. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

I save bottles to refill with homebrew. Cans/plastic bottles I save and usually give to kids when they come around for bottle drives. I cant just throw them out but I dont take the time to return them either. Maine you have deposit on all bottles- even liquor, water and juice I believe.

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Non deposit here, so I just recycle.

5. Bottles are saved for homebrew and the bottle house I have planned. Cans are collected religiously for cash pay out recycling. $.50 a pound can buy my next beer round.

4balance likes this.
  6. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

I save all my 12 oz bottles for homebrews until I save up 2 cases worth, then recycle after that. I save most of my big bottles for a big project I'm planning, though I do use some of the bombers for homebrew.

7. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (460) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

Recycling is a must in my hometown. Bank robbery and homicide are misdemeanors compared to the penalties for defying the recycling police. I checked the first choice, but sometimes I want to do number 5. That would fix those neighbors who get loud and stuff after 2 1/2 light beers.:p

4balance likes this.
  8. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

home brew or BB gun target practice

9. fartmaster

fartmaster Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2011

i save them for these garbage can diggers looking for can/bottles. They do all the hard work and get paid for it :). Or i recycle myself. More beer money!

10. I recycle all but the coolest of containers.

11. superspak

superspak Champion (910) Michigan May 5, 2010

Oh hey Michigan! Big bottle deposit out here, but I save my bottles for new batches(rarely de-labeling because I don't care haha). Still much cheaper than buying a case at 12 bucks, and I usually end up recycling the bottles after a few batches for some dimes. I always recycle all the big bottles though, because Meijer is super close to me; and they have the recycle machines. MI has something like a 98.5% recycling rate, and for good reason.

12. I don't recycle. At best, it's a zero sum game when you consider the amount of fossil fuels being used to double the number of "trash" trucks making pick-ups.

13. That might be a zero sum game, but if you use cans as an example the amount of energy used to recycle and old can into a new can is only a fraction of what it takes to mine the aluminium and make a brand new can. Plus as garbage dumps get more and more full the trucks with garbage in them are going to have to drive further and further away from your house to dump garbage, which means more fossil fuels burned compared to recycling.

14. And I'm still not going to do it.

15. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

I get the money back for it, so it can contribute to my next beers I'll buy.

16. Exchange them for cash. Adds up to about $60 a month. I keep the out of ordinary bottles though.

17. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

if any of your neighbors recycle, the truck number is already doubled. You're not saving a trash truck trip by not recycling.

Kopfschuss and dumptruck81 like this.
  18. Which really isn't the point. I'm trying to lead by example.

19. I recycle cans. If the labels come off fairly easily, I keep the bottles for homebrewing; but I mostly keg, so if it's more effort than picking my nose, I recycle those too.

20. I don't think kelvarnsen was trying to get you to recycle, I think he was just trying to point out that your reason for not recycling doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

21. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I put them aside and when recycling day comes around, I put them in last, so they make up the top layer and can therefore be easily, quietly extracted by the elderly Chinese man whose grandchild I'm putting through college.

22. And my point was that recycling, to begin with, doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you factor in all the increased truck traffic, production of bins and all the other things that are required to recycle. In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't "save" much, if anything.

23. Fair enough.

Nevertheless....welll...forget it, this is a beer website, so I'll leave it at that.

24. Exactly, I really don't care what someone else does. But using the argument that recycling doesn't make sense becuase you need two trucks to pick up the recycling and the garbage without thinking of the materials and energy it takes to make brand new products, not to mention the fact that it is getting more and more difficult to find convienent places to dump garbage, isn't really a very good argument.

25. I am curious, how eactly is there increased truck traffic? If I do recycle a garbage truck and a recycling truck come to my house. If no one recycled the recycling truck wouldn't come, but essentially there would be twice as much garbage and twice as many garbage trucks. I mean it is not like trucks have unlimited capacity. So it is the same amount of trucks picking up the same amount of stuff either way, it is just with recycling you have less stuff ending up in a landfills.

Kopfschuss and Providence like this.
  26. You would have a point if the number of garbage trucks was reduced by 50% when recycling started, but that number didn't change. You just added seperate trucks for recycling, thus doubling the amount of fossil fuels being burned.

Look, it's really not hard to find information for OR against recycling (a lot of the "against" arguments are actually financial). It's just a google search away.

27. fartmaster

if its out of sight its out of mind right? all your cans mixed with poopy baby diaper in a landfill dont bother you cuz you dont see it. recycling doesnt just involve gas and transportation. what about landfills. how many houses can be built on a landfill, how many farms can go on top of a land fill? zero. what we going to do when were out of space. I guess we can start killing babies or something. if you have a disabled baby lets kill it so he/she doesnt take up space for all your garbage.

28. Even if you do recycle, you're still going to run out of space eventually. It's just a different time table.

29. fartmaster

were all going to die eventually, lets just speed up the process and kill everyone now

30. You've convinced me! I shall start recycling immediately!

Or not.

31. fartmaster

im not trying to convince you of anything...so keep doing what your doing...
    look its real simple just get your information from the internet cuz its full of truths. thumbs up to you. or not

32. I shall.

Sure souinds a lot like you are trying to convince me, you know, with the condecending tone asnd insuiating that I get all my information from the internet.

Let it go, man. I'm going to keep throwing shit in the trash no matter what you have to say about it. I can't wait until the phonebooks get delivered this year.

Want to save the planet? Get the phone company to stop printing phone books. That will go a lot further then getting me to recycle the small amount I create

33. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

Kopfschuss likes this.
  34. Cant pick two options. What I dont put my homebrew or friends homebrew in, I throw the rest in the blue bin.

35. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (370) Texas Dec 28, 2011

It let me pick 2 options

36. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

i build up a sizeable stash, then take that to the recycling center use that ticket to buy some small time groceries across the street :)

37. fartmaster

?

38. You make that much in returns? Wow. We get something like $.05 per bottle. $60 would mean 1,200 bottles a month. That is some serious drinking...

39. Thats for cans and bottles and not just beer.