1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

REDD’s Strawberry Ale Launches Nationwide

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Jason

Jason BA Founder Staff Member

ALBANY, GA (September 4, 2013) – REDD’s Apple Ale now offers two ways to Pick Different™ with the nationwide launch of REDD’s Strawberry Ale. With the original REDD’s Apple Ale exceeding expectations with its successful launch in February 2013, the new strawberry flavor of REDD’s will continue to propel the line’s momentum.

“We’ve always seen REDD’s as a platform to give consumers new and exciting flavor options,” said Andrew Zrike, brand manager of REDD’s Apple Ale. “REDD’s Strawberry Ale is a refreshing change of pace and is perfect for legal-age consumers who are thirsty for something unique.”

Just like REDD’s Apple Ale, REDD’s Strawberry Ale is a flavored golden ale with low malt and bitterness cues. REDD’S Strawberry Apple Ale tastes of strawberries followed by the crisp clean finish of apples. The natural flavors are perfectly balanced for the sweet and refreshing taste to come through. REDD’s Strawberry Ale has a deep golden hue with light carbonation and an aroma of a sweet strawberry with a hint of apple.

REDD’s Strawberry Ale is available in 6-pack 12 ounce bottles, 12-pack 12 ounce bottles and 4-pack 16 ounce cans at 5 percent alcohol by volume. Per 12 ounce serving, REDD’s Strawberry Ale contains only 166 calories, 17.2 carbs, less than 1 gram of protein, and 0 grams of fat. Learn more about the product and availability by visiting www.REDDsApple.com, facebook.com/REDDsAppleAle, and twitter.com/REDDsAppleAle.

About MillerCoors
    MillerCoors brews, markets and sells the MillerCoors portfolio of brands in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. Built on a foundation of great beer brands and nearly 300 years of brewing heritage, MillerCoors continues the commitment of its founders to brew the highest quality beers. MillerCoors is the second-largest beer company in America, capturing nearly 30 percent of U.S. beer sales. Led by two of the best-selling beers in the industry, Coors Light and Miller Lite, MillerCoors has a broad portfolio of highly complementary brands across every major industry segment. The company offers a variety of leading craft and import brands, including Blue Moon and Leinenkugel’s, through its Tenth and Blake division. MillerCoors operates eight major breweries in the U.S., as well as the Leinenkugel’s craft brewery in Chippewa Falls, Wisc., and two microbreweries, the 10th Street Brewery in Milwaukee and the Blue Moon Brewing Company at Coors Field in Denver. MillerCoors insists on building its brands the right way through brewing quality, responsible marketing and environmental and community impact. MillerCoors is a joint venture of SABMiller plc and Molson Coors Brewing Company. Learn more at MillerCoors.com, at facebook.com/MillerCoors or on Twitter through @MillerCoors.

###
  2. Jason

Jason BA Founder Staff Member

This creation is obviously due to the better than forecasted sales of Straw-Ber-Rita from ABInbev.
  3. ThrashMaster

ThrashMaster Member

I've had it and its unbelievably sweet. Waaaaaay sweeter than strawberita. Off the scales.
  4. willbm3

willbm3 Member

Wait so is it strawberry or strawberry apple?
  5. GeddyLeeRocks

GeddyLeeRocks Member

Like the Apple Ale, this should not to be labeled as "ALE". It is clearly a "malternative" beverage!
  6. FunkyMacGroovin

FunkyMacGroovin Member

It boggles my mind that people would rather drink Redd's "Apple Ale" than drink actual hard apple cider. At least once a week, upon telling a customer that my shop doesn't carry Redd's and showing them the sizable assortment of ciders we stock, I get nothing more than a crestfallen look and muttering about a liquor store around the corner.
    Zorro, Geuzedad, Kyrojack and 5 others like this.
  7. brewtus

brewtus Member

Ill takes a redds strawberry apple ale
  8. Roguer

Roguer Member

The entire reason that I tried Redd's Apple Ale is because I love hard cider.

Boy, as a lover of cider AND beer, I could not possibly have been more disappointed, because Redd's is a terrible version of both.
  9. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Member

When Redd's came out, I tried it.

I had a very hard time getting through (and did not finish) two bottles. This was that bad. Actually, it was horrible.
    I had hard time getting rid of the 4 leftover bottles. No takers. finally, I ran into someone who wanted to try it at work. Couple days later when asked how it was, he said, with all due respect, I know why you were giving it away.

I am concerned that a beverage, that was as bad as this, exceeded expectations. Those expectations had to have been very low.

I will not be trying this, good luck to the brave souls who do. They missed with apple, no way will they hit with strawberry.

Taste may be in an individual's mouth, but I worry about that individual, and that they walk the same streets as the rest of us. And the fact that they are legally able to breed............
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

Wife enjoys Redd's Apple Ale, I'll have to grab her some of these to try.
  11. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Member

Somebody left a few cans of the apple ale in my fridge after a BBQ. I tried one, and it was so sweet it could have put a horse in a coma. Not beer like at all, not even cidery. At best it's like sugar-added apple juice. At worst, it's the sweet red apple version of the sour green apple Smirnoff Ice.

I understand that they're trying to sleuth into the craft beer market, but at a certain point, you have to call it what it is. Thisis a malt liquor beverage.

I imagine the strawberry version to be even more heinously sweet.

People should drink what they like, by all means. But why call it beer?
    jRocco2021 and Botulizard like this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

What makes people think Redd's Apple ale is a play at the craft crowd? It is clearly for the Smirnoff Ice drinking crowd.
  13. Domingo

Domingo Member

I still want to try both of these "beers" at some point but there's no way I'm buying 6 of them.
  14. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Member

I love the stuff personally (haven't had the Strawberry). Calling it a beer is a stretch, but if you've ever had an Apfelsaft Schorle in Germany, that's basically what this is. Sparkling apple juice that just happens to contain alcohol. If you really like apple juice, drink it. If you don't, don't drink it.
  15. Domingo

Domingo Member

If it's anything like an alcoholic Lift (or the one from Adelholzener), I'm now VERY interested in trying this.
    starkmarvelo likes this.
  16. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Member

I tasted a sample from a Miller rep at the liquor store. Sucks so much! He did sell me on Leinenkugels Hoppin' Helles, even if it is just a pilsner.
  17. drgarage

drgarage Member

Just as Redd's tastes like someone throwing a rotten apple at your face at high speed, this is like having moldy strawberries jammed up your nose.
  18. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Member

Never tried Redd's, but their commercials are sexist. I've only seen men get nailed in the head with an apple. Don't women deserve to have fruit hurled at them as well?
  19. offthelevel_bytheplumb

You would think they would be trying to sell it to women, seeing as Miller Lite seems to have it's share in the "bro" market.
  20. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Member

My best guess is they figure women will see it and want it anyway, but they need to go hard on the "bro" demographic in order to sell them on the most stereotypical "chick beer" that has ever existed.
  21. offthelevel_bytheplumb

See, I would have to disagree with that. Why waste your time on going after dudes when they won't be buying it anyways and Smirnoff is going hard core after women.
  22. Botulizard

Botulizard Member

Because they call it "ale" and sell it as such.
  23. blastoderm55

blastoderm55 Member

Tried a bit of this from my wife's bottle. Not too bad. Goes down like koolaid.
  24. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

It is classified by the TTB as a type "906 - MALT BEVERAGES SPECIALITIES - FLAVORED". To legally be a "malt beverage" (the TTB's catch-all legal term for all beer - lager, ale, porter, stout, etc.) it must contain:

People implying these product are cider or contains apple juice are incorrect according to the TTB approved labels for these malt beverages, which reads:

GeddyLeeRocks likes this.
  25. Alextricity

Alextricity Member

I'm so surprised at the lack of snobbery in this thread!

I had Redd's once. The name is misleading as all hell ... it tastes like alcohol infused apple juice. Is it much of a beer? Not at all. It doesn't deserve to be on this site (Yet the Bros. exclude meads and ciders while including Lime-A-Ritas. What the?), either. It doesn't taste awful though.

Disclaimer: I wouldn't buy it.
    Respect_the_Saaz likes this.
  26. raffels

raffels Member

In ancient Greece, throwing an apple at someone was considered a declaration of love. FWIW...
  27. frazbri

frazbri Member

It's not, but it has taken tap handles and shelf space from more than a few bars/restaurants that should go to something better.
  28. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Member

I'm not about to tell you how to run your shop, but if you actually have people coming in weekly asking about it, the obvious choice would be to stock it. We stock all sorts of stuff that I would never drink or recommend, but if someone wants to come into my store and purchase Wild Blue by the case I'm happy to sell it to them.
  29. afrokaze

afrokaze Member

Lol at that guy saying we all work for the competition, when he obviously works for MillerCoors. Watching the big guys try to get in on the craft scene is hilarious, they just don't get it.
    russpowell likes this.
  30. imbrue001

imbrue001 Member

wow that was fast
    well anyway, I concur with ^afrokaze
    GeddyLeeRocks likes this.
  31. Weavagra

Weavagra Member

This stuff is super sweet. I only tried a few sips of a friend's. I doubt I I could make it through a whole bottle.
  32. Zorro

Zorro Member

Ale or Cider.

Two great tastes that don't go together.
  33. FunkyMacGroovin

FunkyMacGroovin Member

There are many instances where I do just that - Blue Moon, Corona, Stella, and the like. In the case of REDD's I am not allowed to stock it because of a company policy regarding artificial colorings. I am perfectly fine with the situation.
  34. mitch3114

mitch3114 Member

I can see it now at your local chain restaurant...

Ask your server for our Craft Beer selection:

Corona
    Land Shark
    Blue Moon
    Shock Top
    Shock Top Pumpkin (oooh! a seasonal!)
    Redd's Strawberry Ale
  35. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Member

Whole Foods, I presume?
  36. Icarus

Icarus Member

I believe it, 7 out of 10 people are morons.
  37. gkingus

gkingus Member

On their website, on the FAQ page, there is the question if it is gluten-free. The answer is "No, but it is carefree" as in they don't care to share the ingredients with you.
  38. gkingus

gkingus Member

I'll be opting for Woodchuck hard cider instead.
  39. keysburg

keysburg Member

Where was all this stuff in my young and innocent days when I was burning my stomach with Mike's hard or swiping Zima's from mom?
  40. MackayClanBrewin

MackayClanBrewin Member

Eww. Angry Orchard is the way to go. Redds is not good.