1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Redhook Brewery employee dies from exploding keg accident

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Update (4/27):
    The following is a statement from Redhook Brewery.
    ###

Update:
    The employee's name has been released. Ben Harris (26), a newlywed with a child on the way. Our deepest condolences go out to his wife and the rest of his family.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20120425-NEWS-120429844

In lieu of flowers, the family respectfully requests that memorial contribution be made to the: The Alysha Miller Harris Baby Fund c/o TD Bank, 20 International Drive, Portsmouth, NH 03801, (603) 430-3812, to benefit his unborn child.

http://www.jvwoodfuneralhome.com/fh..._id=1464439&fh_id=11813#.T5iDWewMiMW.facebook

###

A tragic day for the beer community. This morning at the Redhook Brewery in Portsmouth, New Hampshire a keg failed, exploded and critically injured an employee. He sustained serious injuries to his chest and head, and unfortunately passed away.

Our thoughts go out to the employee, his family, friends and everyone at Redhook.

http://www.wmur.com/newsarchive/30946163/detail.html

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20120424-NEWS-120429891

http://portsmouth-nh.patch.com/articles/redhook-employee-critically-injured-by-exploding-keg

(Reposted as the condition of the employee changed.)

2. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

How tragic :(

Condolences to everyone affected. And 'thank you' to all the brewers from whose sweat and skill we benefit.

3. God, that's awful. Raising a pint to that poor guy and his family tonight.

4. Such a heartbreaking story. My thoughts are with the man's family, friends, and the Red Hook crew.

JrGtr likes this.
  5. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Wow,terrible news.Thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.:(

6. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (270) California Aug 19, 2011

oh no i made another thread about it :/ sorry!!

that is such a sad thing to hear

7. Vav

Vav Savant (485) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

8. Thoughts and prayers go out to all family and friends. Such a tragic shame.

9. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Wow.

That is terrible to hear :(

THoughts are going out to his family

10. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

Awful, awful news. My heart goes to Redhook and everyone affected.

11. sullenbee

sullenbee Savant (340) Michigan Jan 15, 2010

That is awful. My condolences to his friends, family, and coworkers.

12. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

joining in the condolences for the family and co-workers. This is truly awful to hear :(

13. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

Sad news. Prayers and thoughts to his family, friends and coworkers.

14. My heart goes out to friends and family left behind.

15. Terrible news, I drive by Redhook every day on my way to work. Will raise a few glasses to him and his family. I am hoping he was passionate about beer and therefore at least passed away doing something he loved. Truly tragic.

16. Our prayers and condolences to the worker's family and everyone at Redhook Northeast

Jason Hunter
    Berkshire Brewing

17. Well...shit. That sucks.

18. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

In every great enterprise their is danger and tragedy. Raising a glass in his honor.

19. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Very very sad indeed. A special bond with my home town of Ballard (Seattle neighborhood) where Redhook got its start. I cut my craft teeth imbibing on a Ballard Bitter many years ago.
    My thoughts and prayers to his family.

20. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I drank a lot of Ballard Bitter myself.

My deepest condolences to the family and friends. I'm not a brewer but I feel like I've lost a member of the family.:(

21. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (540) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

22. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (540) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

23. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Update http://twitter.com/Redhook_Brewery

24. joepais

joepais Savant (370) Maine Oct 5, 2007

foobula likes this.
  25. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

Wow,
    That absolutely sucks!

26. damn... RIP man... :(

27. This is terrible news

28. AtrumAnimus

AtrumAnimus Savant (350) Texas Nov 25, 2002

What a tragic loss with such terrible timing and missing out on the joy of fatherhood. I cna only wish the best for his wife and unborn child.

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  29. You don't go to work in that field and even consider such an outcome. My wife and I have our third children coming in July and this story really saddens me. My heart hurts for his wife and parents.

30. This is an incredibly sad and tragic accident. Seacoast Beverage Lab has a note from Redhook about the tragedy. Apparently, Ben Harris, who was killed, had worked at Redhook for seven years and his wife also works there. It's an illustration of the community that surrounds craft beer--unfortunately an unbelievably sad illustration, in this case.

31. airbag11

airbag11 Aficionado (185) New York Feb 17, 2012

Man...my heart goes out to his fam and friends. Craft beer lost a brother and a good man.

32. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

The detail lists plastic keg. Do these have a greater occurence of such an event?

33. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

:( life is so unfair...as if the story isn't tragic enough, having a child on the way is truly a further kick in the zipper, just horrible.

34. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

Plastic kegs are relatively new to the market. The usage percentage is very small when compared to steel kegs. There are few companies that are manufacturing plastic kegs, so it is difficult to say if there are many "near-miss" events or other reliability issues with these types of kegs.

35. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

My deepest condolences to the family and his coworkers. We tend not to think of brewing as job with risk, but the risk is there as with any job that requires manual labor. Hats off to all of you whose line of work has any risk of accidental injury associated with it. You guys keep the world moving. ;)

36. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

Plastic is not at all safe for pressurized fluids if there is a potential for trapped air. I work as a pipefitter and witnessed an explosion firsthand. We were putting a pressure test on a PVC piping system. As the system was filling with water, a fellow pipefitter was tightening bolts on a flange attached to a fitting. After the flange was properly tightened, the fitting exploded (the system was not fitted with a device to bleed the air from the system during the fill). The pipefitter reacted by rolling down the hill the chiller sat atop. If he had not moved, the shard that grazed his face would have likely caused severe injury. After the refinery's invetigation, the determination was made that air trapped in the system caused the explosion to occur.

Please, if any of you work with plastic (either at home or on the job), be extremely careful. If you use it for brewing or storage of beer, I urge you to stop; the fermentation process can cause pressure to build up to dangerous levels that plastic cannot handle.

My thoughts and prayers are with Ben's family and friends after this tragic occurance.

37. Hopscotch

Hopscotch Initiate (0) May 15, 2012

awful. wish I hadn't opened this thread. truly horrible