1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Refractometer Care and Feeding

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by HerbMeowing, Feb 23, 2012.

1. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (395) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

Can the business end be dipped in the wort or is dripping drops the more better method?

Can the business end be put under a water faucet for rinsing or is damp wiping more better?

2. FWIW The Northern Brewer gents on BrewingTV generally pour a healthy dose of wort with a spoon over the business end in several of their episodes. I figure if they sell the devices they might have some good knowledge of their useability. I've done the same as well as rinsing that end under the faucet with no issues noted so far. Might depend on the specific refractometer though...

3. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Personally I wouldn't recommend it. The refractometers I've seen look like they have been constructed to get the job done at least cost, and IIRC the instructions are pretty specific about Not immersing.

4. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement glass flap for one? I'm getting one for free from a fellow brewer that works minus the flap

5. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (395) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

My meter is definitely low-cost.

I don't dunk but it would sure would be easier.
    Thought I'd ask before doing something I'd later regret.

6. I just use a medicine dropper to put wort on the glass.

7. I use a dropper to put a few drops of wort on it, but I do run the end under the faucet to rinse it off. I have been doing this with the same refractometer for over 7years.