1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Region Specific IP-Trade Forum

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by mctizzz, Dec 1, 2013.

1. mctizzz

mctizzz Advocate (510) California Dec 23, 2010

Maybe it's just because the trade thread has been such so crazy since the Black Friday releases but I think one thing that would be nice to have is region specific IP trade threads. If I am looking to do an IP trade it is not relevant to the 95% of people who live no where near where I am trying to meet to trade, thus clogging the trade forum. I am interested to hear what others think.
  2. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

So basically a forum dedicated to IP trades? That's doable if enough people agree.

I'd be against multiple IP trade forums broken down by region though, as that would be overkill.
    commis likes this.
  3. mctizzz

I was taking it a step further and breaking the proposed IP trade forum down by region. So you click on the "IP Trade" tab, which leads to a list of regional tabs (Pacific, Northeast...), so that you can quickly locate others within your region looking to trade. I could see it possibly being too specific and not getting too much traffic though.
    tronto and commis like this.
  4. Todd

That said, we could achieve the same regional breakdown using thread prefix tags. So basically all of the threads would be in a single forum, but they'd have a regional/color-coded prefix before the thread title that could also be used to sort the forum.

See the Beer Tickets forum for an example of this:

http://beeradvocate.com/community/forums/beer-tickets.62/

... and click a prefix to sort.
  5. mctizzz

If there were regional tabs for IP trades that you could sort I would be very happy. I never looked at the tickets thread before, but that is a clean interface.
  6. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Makes a lot of sense to me. I always hate posting an IP trade in the general ISO:FT forum for fear of people not seeing it, but at the same time I know its frowned upon to put those posts in the regional forums. This would solve those issues and give people a direct place to go if they're looking to make an IP trade.
    da_bulls likes this.
  7. I really like this idea!
  8. I think this is a great idea and am definitely in favor of a new IP:ISO section.
    tronto likes this.
  9. Good stuff, save $ on shipping always helps
  10. HighWine

HighWine Savant (320) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

I agree with OP. It was more intuitive to me when I first joined the site to post an IP trade request in the regional forum to where I was traveling. They kept getting deleted so I stopped bothering because it seemed too narrow of a post for the ISO:FT forum for the whole community.
    lowbit and tacosandbeer like this.
  11. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I would be in full support of this.
  12. This is a terrible idea. Don't implement it! ;)
  13. This would be a welcome addition for someone like me. I don't trade much and or often nor do I plan on doing shipping trades. All of my trades have been IP with other Massachusetts BA and this would facilitate more of those types of trades.
    concealed likes this.
  14. I support this idea also, good idea OP
  15. lowbit

lowbit Initiate (0) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2013

Could there be a list or menu of prefixes at the top of the page? It would help avoid having to search through potentially pages of threads every time to find the appropriate prefix for the region you want to see. Alternatively each user's prefix selection could be sticky, so that if you're really only interested in IP trades in your area, you would only have to select the appropriate prefix once.

In any event, this would be a huge improvement over the current options.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  16. HugeBulge

HugeBulge Savant (370) New York Dec 31, 2012

Great idea
  17. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (630) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

I support. This would give IP trades a place to be recognized without getting deleted. Good idea.

Jeff
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  18. Great idea! I think shipping is probably the biggest barrier to trading, especially for newer folks. Enough people seem to be travelling with, and for, beer to make an IP forum a success. Plus it's a great way to meet other members.
  19. gory4d

gory4d Savant (475) New York Apr 14, 2007

This would be great.
  20. I like this idea. I vote "Yea."
  21. TJRoar

TJRoar Disciple (50) Connecticut Nov 6, 2012

This would be helpful for people like myself trying to get into trading!
  22. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Advocate (645) Washington May 21, 2013

If more positives help this get done, then I'll add my voice; this is a great idea. The IP trade system doesn't function well now.
  23. This idea has been proposed several times over the past few years, and it always seems to die. I am in full support, and glad to see this getting much more traction than it ever has before.
  24. Todd

maxcoinage, mctizzz and MattOC like this.
  25. I absolutely support this. Dibs on red for Massachusetts tags!
  26. Todd

No color coding at the moment and it's regional.
  27. madtowndmb1

madtowndmb1 Savant (360) Wisconsin Oct 17, 2007

This is the way I'm leaning to trading these days. Happy to see this!
  28. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Great work, thanks for listening to our feedback!
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  29. mctizzz

Thanks for making this happen!
  30. Todd and/or Jason, I'm probably missing this, but is there a way to just be able to watch a single region (New England in my case)? I seem to only be able to watch the entire IP forum. Thanks.
  31. Todd

Yes, as mentioned in this thread you can click a prefix to filter threads. The option also resides at the bottom of the page under the "Thread Display Options" tab.
  32. Got it. Thank you Todd.
  33. Couldn't this just be done by adding tags for IP trades in the regular ISO:FT forum? I love in person trades just as much as the next guy, but I'd rather be able to find all trades in one place, rather than having to click a bunch of different things and opening multiple tabs. Usually if I see an IP trade not my area in the title, I don't look. But sometimes you miss that when you see a beer you really want. If tags were there, you'd be able to know right away.
    Skrypt likes this.
  34. Todd

It could, but it would be very messy and the request over the years has been to create a separate forum for IP trades.
    lowbit likes this.
  35. Skrypt

Skrypt Savant (355) Florida Mar 8, 2010

As someone who prefers to trade in person, but is often willing to ship... I think this is a nice idea, but poorly implemented. Having to look in two places for essentially the same thing is bad design. I agree with bricenice on tagging the original forum would be more ideal. Perhaps use a default Shipping tag unless a region is specified?
  36. lowbit

lowbit Initiate (0) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2013

For those of us in the northern part of the country, IP trading means we can keep trading year round, through months where a shipping trade is out of the question because of cold temperatures, and I'm very glad a separate forum has been added to support it. The old way with IP trades buried in a larger mass of threads really wasn't working.
    riemster likes this.
  37. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (630) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

Good stuff. Cheers!
    Jeff
  38. mattvandyk

mattvandyk Savant (325) Michigan Apr 25, 2013

For the record, this is outstanding. The implementation is also great. If there were one thing I'd like, it would be for it to default to my region first, but not sure that's possible and it's not that tough to click the region link. Thank you guys!!
  39. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (310) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

I think European zones also need a region tag. Such as Benelux and others.
    digita7693 and F2brewers like this.
  40. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Why not just have a tag for all zones that there are forums for?
    Benelux, Germany etc... There are a few of us on here from Europe who might like to do IP trades;)/people visiting Europe.

cheers