1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Regional growler pricing

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sharpski, Dec 29, 2012.

1. sharpski

sharpski Advocate (505) Oregon Oct 11, 2010

Having recently moved from the Seattle area to Bend, I was happy to see the average price for a growler go down, both from breweries and bottle shops/bars. For example, I paid $12 for a growler of Black Raven Trickster IPA regularly and thought it was fair, but most places around here are under $10 (the $6 growlers of Boneyard on Wednesdays are a highlight). What's the average price for a growler fill of a regular lineup beer in your area?

This will probably closely follow cost of living and general retail beer pricing trends around the country, but I'm curious if there are any exceptions (cheap growler fill prices compared to higher than average 6pk prices, for example).
  2. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

chicago: 27 dollars. :/
    MrMcGibblets likes this.
  3. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I paid $12 for a 64oz growler fill of Ranger Creek Small Batch #3 the other day at Whole Foods. Damn good for a barrel-aged release.
  4. Ranges from $9.99 a 64 oz growler all the way up to $28.99, based on what it is
  5. NC 15 and up
  6. Price for 32oz / 64oz

VT: Hill Farmstead is $7 / $15
    MA: Night Shift is $12 / $18

I'm from Maine... But forget pricing at Rising Tide and Oxbow. :/
    RBooth9 likes this.
  7. I've seen prices all over the board like this too.
  8. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

prices are all over the place depending on the beer on tap but my favorite growler fill/$$ was a 32oz of Parabola for $15
  9. BJRHOMEBREW

BJRHOMEBREW Aficionado (235) Ohio Dec 18, 2008

I would wager that no better price can be found than in Columbia, SC
    gothedistance likes this.
  10. Rback

Rback Aficionado (160) New York Feb 26, 2012

You can't run this exercise & hope to get anything out of it if we only look at beers that have limited distribution like Black Raven Trickster IPA. Let's try a brew that most readers have access to & then we may learn something about price point differentials.
    I'll start-Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is $8.99 at Village Beer Merchant in Buffalo NY
  11. $10-12 for the stuff I usually get.
  12. North Carolina its usually somewhere near $10-12 at the brewery. I did come back home to OH for the holidays, and I saw growlers were around $8 at grocery stores. Total shock to me.
    sharpski likes this.
  13. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

Most 64oz growlers are between $10 and $15. The barrel aged beers and sours run $48. These prices are just fills and do not include the growler itself, those are $5 for screw tops and $10 for swing tops.
  14. Quigley's Pint & Pub , Pawleys Island SC

Wednesday special $5 (usually $9) for a 64 ounce growler. I go for the Swamp Fox IPA, Quigley's is a local brew pub and they usually have about 6-8 of their beers under the tap. Good food also.
  15. BeastLU

BeastLU Savant (485) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Growlers are generally new to Virginia, so only a few spots outside of breweries themselvs have them avalible. The Brewery prices are general cheap (10-15), but the bar prices are higher. At the Bars around here the cheapest selections are 12 if your lucky up to around 30 for even beers with regular avaibility.
  16. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

$12-$15 around here.

Don't think the $5 growler fills at Sun King on Fridays are normal :D
  17. BrewBoone

BrewBoone Aficionado (165) Alaska Jun 29, 2008

18. sharpski

I'm more interested in hearing about the market for local beer pricing rather than trying to follow a common beer around the country. Nothing wrong with what you're suggesting, just not what I had in mind when I started the thread. I thought looking at a given market's regular lineup pricing for locally produced beer would be more a reflection on the local "scene" and hopefully downplay the distributor's influence. It will obviously have to reflect local cost of living, but I think some markets have more competition, cultural effects, or whatever that can push the pricing further up or down compared to bottled/canned beers.

There are no shortage of pricey options in Bend for seasonal/barrel aged/import growler fills, but I felt in general the difference between here and Seattle for a brewery's flagship or other regular lineup local beer was more than just the general cost of living difference between the two places. I think Seattle has pretty high growler usage/acceptance, but I think it's even higher in Bend, possibly contributing to the higher competition/lower pricing in general across breweries within the same market.
  19. sharpski

This is what I was trying to get at. Do you think the cost of living between those places in NC and OH account for the $12 at the brewery vs. $8 at a retail store?
  20. BeastLU

I just thought of this, here in VA a you can treat your growler like a pitcher if you want. You dont HAVE to take it home to drink it when you buy it from a bar. So theres no way they are going to sell you a growler of decent beer for 8 bucks and watch you drink it at the bar when they could be charging you $6 for a pint.
  21. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (295) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

For reference, here's my local offerings:

Brooklyn- Monster Barley Wine $10
    Epic- Hopulent IPA $11
    Rogue- Double Mocha Porter $10
    Stone- 12-12-12 Vertical Epic Dark Ale w/ Spices $12
    Dogfish Head- Bitch's Brew Stout $21
  22. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

Here in Jersey the prices seem to high most of the time. Happens all the time when a seasonal beer comes around in bottles and on tap. Both are fresh, yet it is a lot cheaper per oz to buy the 6 pack or bottle equivalent. If this is the case I do this because I don't have to worry about drinking the growler right away. I stick to the growler only for rare and tap only beers. Also when freshness is an issue.
  23. honkduh

honkduh Savant (305) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

Seattle:
    64oz Santa's Little Helper $10.00
    64oz Pliny the Elder $10.00
    64oz Hop in the Dark $7.00

Black Raven is a little on the expensive side.
  24. Also in reply to Lipsntoes: Those prices are ridiculously low. I manage a bar in Southeast PA and our costs on the beers you listed would be higher than what you are buying them for.:(
  25. potteryboy

potteryboy Aficionado (130) Alabama Jul 17, 2009

Generally 15 bucks in Birmingham Alabama, but I've just finished my 2nd Bodhi from Columbus Brewery. At 10 bucks a growler it's hard to beat!
  26. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Up here next to the border in Bellingham, they're in the $9-12 range, generally, depending where and what you're getting.
  27. here in NM it's usually about $10 regulars and up to $25 depending on what you get.
  28. Russian River: $14 growler refills.

Other Cali growlers: Don't ever give a shit to find out because I just bought 64.oz of sex from RR.
    Trevdawg likes this.
  29. sharpski

Those look like prices at SDM in West Seattle, which I think are priced as loss leaders (or much lower markup than most places). Not really consistent with the rest of Seattle's prices. But maybe they've influenced other places to match that pricing and I'm out of touch with the Seattle market now.

Do you happen to know what a growler fill goes for at Reuben's/Fremont/your favorite Seattle brewery? I know Georgetown is only $6 for some of their beers, but again I think they're the exception rather than the rule.
  30. hecmin01

hecmin01 Aficionado (105) Indiana Oct 22, 2008

I love $5 Fridays..
  31. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

For refills in my area, it's generally around $15. A growler of Pliny costs $14 (refill). Although it does vary, as I got my growler refilled at 21st Amendment yesterday and was shocked to find that it cost me $18.
  32. um idk. Theres alot of upstart breweries in NC, and their growlers seem to priced a bit higher. OH does have some newer ones, but their growlers are priced on par with established breweries. Beer is cheaper in OH than NC.
  33. Willytee3

Willytee3 Aficionado (240) New York Apr 17, 2012

Here in the Hudson Valley Captain Lawrence regular lineup can be had for $9-$11 per growler with special releases between $18-$25... mmmmm good pricing. I however refuse to spend more than $16 or so on a growler. I would rather spend $12 on a 12-16oz glass of something special then spend $28 or more on a growler of the same that will quickly deteriorate and disappoint.
  34. brian44556

brian44556 Savant (265) Kentucky Aug 29, 2009

I got a Goose Island Imperial IPA for $28.99 and a FFF Zombie Dust for $14.99. Haven't tried the GI, yet, but if I looked at the price before I filled it I wouldn't have a chance to try it.
  35. I need to move.
  36. MrMcGibblets

MrMcGibblets Savant (455) Illinois Jan 14, 2007

how is it that most growlers cost more per oz than a sixer? this has always bothered me considering that it should be cheaper-no labeling, no canning/bottling, no distribution...can someone please explain this?
  37. EchtBier

EchtBier Aficionado (135) Virginia Jun 29, 2005

I bought my first growler from Jerry Bailey, Old Dominion Brewing, Ashnurn VA in late 90's...

But you are right, growlers didn't really get popular until recently. Best place is Mad Fox in Falls Church
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23201/?view=beerfly
  38. BeastLU

** At bars I mean. They are generally cheep at the brewery across the board from what I have seen.
  39. One of the more popular up-and-coming bars here (Varga Bar) has a $25 flat rate for all growler fills. I believe this is the high end for our area, and they exclude certain hard-to-find beers (Pliny, B9k, etc).

On one hand, I like knowing how much a growler fill will cost before entering the bar....on the other hand, I am never paying $25 for a fill.
  40. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (295) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

Tonight's choice and pricing in Ohio:

Oscar Blues- G'Night Imperial Red Ale $9
    Revolution- Anti-Hero IPA $8
    Rivertown- Roebling Porter $11
    Stone- 12-12-12 Vertical Epic Dark Ale w/ Spices $12
    Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout $14