1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Relatively New to Craft Beer

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Jose2412, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

So I was turned on to craft beer about a year ago and still am trying every beer I can get my hands on. Ive begun cellaring some beer and so far its mostly local beers from West Michigan. I have two CBS bottles, a Better Half, Dragons Milk, El Mole Ocho, and a few bottles of Imperial Stout from Founders. My question is, what beers should I be on the look out for in West Michigan to cellar? Im very partial to stouts (Imperial, Coffee, Bourbon Barrel).
  2. BBP

BBP Savant (260) Ontario (Canada) Aug 14, 2010

Not trying to be presumptuous and tell you how to drink your beer, but all I thought about when I got into beer was cellaring. For the most part, I think you'd enjoy most of the beers you've mentioned fresher than older.

The more "cellarable" stuff you could find near you would likely be WWS, Kuhnhenn's Bourbon Barrel beers, and Expedition if it's still kicking around. I'd try to get a hold of some Plead the 5th if you can as well.
  3. Jose2412

What's WWS? I don't think Ive seen and Kuhnhenns beer over here in Muskegon but im gonna make it a point to try and find some. I think my local place has some Bells Expedition and I've been meaning to pick some up. Did Plead the 5th just recently get released?

Well I've enjoyed cellared KBS so I figured I'd save two out of the five bottles of CBS Ive had and see if theyre any good. The other beers, I figure, if I don't try it, then I don't know if I like it.
  4. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

He meant Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout.
  5. BBP

BBP Savant (260) Ontario (Canada) Aug 14, 2010

Well in the case of having 5 CBS, aging some isn't a bad idea. I sort of figured you'd only got two bottles. WWS is Worldwide Stout from Dogfish Head. It's ~18% so it should hold up for quite some time. Kuhnhenn's stuff is considerably limited but lands on shelves sporadically. Expedition is known to hold up very well.

Plead just got released as well as Dark Horse's Double Crooked Tree. They're both very tasty.
  6. marcobrau

marcobrau Savant (370) Illinois Feb 26, 2002

I love Bell's Expedition Stout after two to three years in the bottle. Stock up!
  7. BB1313

BB1313 Advocate (695) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Hoppin' Frog B.O.R.I.S The Crusher and BA B.O.R.I.S. are both great for aging and I believe they distribute to MI. There's also Thirsty Dog Siberian Night which I also believe distributes to MI. Also New Holland Night Tripper is pretty tasty and should definitely be in your neck of the woods. And I'm not sure if Green Flash distributes to MI but their Double Stout is really good.. and their Silva Stout is the best BA stout I've ever had but would be a rarer find..
  8. Please do not turn away from the great IPA's that are out in the country such as Dog Fish Head's 60, 90, 120 minute IPA's. You might be turned into a hop head ;)
  9. nrbw23

nrbw23 Advocate (530) Ohio Jul 30, 2007

I'm pretty sure Hoppin Frog doesn't go to Michigan.
  10. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Savant (335) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

You're right we don't get Hoppin Frog or Green Flash for that matter.
  11. BB1313

BB1313 Advocate (695) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

My bad, I always thought HF distributed to MI.. I find that kinda odd too..
  12. DrDoitchbig

Yeah it is odd, they distribute all over the East Coast and to every other state that touches a Great Lake. Maybe they're just really big Ohio State fans and they want to screw us Wolverines out of their beer. I would definitely buy BA B.O.R.I.S. on the regular if they were up here.
  13. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

yah if you haven't tried any hoppy beers you should, they are great and addicting!
  14. Jose2412

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.

@Founder26, I have tried hoppy beers. I do enjoy them, but would take a dark beer before an IPA anyday. Had Cask Conditioned Hopslam and that was the most amazing IPA I've ever had.
    EricCioe likes this.
  15. Jose2412

Oh, and I've always wondered, is there any significance to the DFH IPAs name? 60, 90, 120 min IPA?
  16. Be careful aging the coffee status as many can probably attest to GI BCCS seemed to lose some of the significant coffee flavor after some time, bourbon county coffee stout
  17. DrDoitchbig

Dogfish Head uses what they refer to as continuous hopping for these beers. Basically instead of adding hops at 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 60 minutes into the boil or what have you they add a little bit at a time throughout the boil. So the minutes are how long the beers are continuously hopped/boiled for.
  18. founder26

ya know its funny at first I thought the same way about ipa's, now im getting into stouts and I like them alot, not sure I would ever like them more then ipas but who knows?
  19. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

A nice stout to cellar that hasn't been mentioned is Avery Mephistopheles. I had one of those that was a few years old last year, and it was phenomenal. Also, don't hesitate to pick up De Molen Hel & Verdoemenis. That one cellars beautifully, too.

For Michigan beers, get your hands on as many different years of Bell's Expedition Stout as you can. And if you are into trading yet, try to get some Bell's Batch 9000. One of the reps from Bell's told me to open my last bottle on my 40th birthday, and I was 28 at the time. I don't know if that was hyperbole, but I am considering doing it.
  20. trginter

trginter Savant (340) Michigan Dec 1, 2008

Three words..

Kentucky Breakfast Stout
  21. Jose2412

KBS is actually the beer that got me into this great world of craft beer. Just had an 09 KBS last week. And Ill be at the release at about 4am. Just look for the fishing shanty in line...:p
  22. Find yourself some of Arcadia's Shipwreck Porter. It will cellar very well, but it's also a great beer when fresh. Arcadia's Imperial Stout and Cereal Killer Barleywine are also good candidates for cellaring.
  23. EricCioe

EricCioe Savant (445) Montana Aug 7, 2010

If I were still in Muskegon, I'd be buying the following easily available beers in as much quantity as I could afford to cellar:

Bell's Expedition Stout. It ages very, very well and is a great value in the stout world.
    Bell's Third Coast Old Ale. Ages well, great barleywine.
    Founders KBS. Ages okay, great fresh, good trade bait.
    Dark Horse Plead the 5th. Great fresh, likely great aged.
    Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree. Great DIPA fresh, one of the few ageable DIPAs.

To drink, I'd be buying:
    Founders Porter
    Bell's Two-Hearted Ale
    Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter
    Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout

That's a good start.

I'd also be frequenting Ladd's, Pints & Quarts, and Odd Side Ales in Grand Haven.
  24. Jose2412

Ladds is a store I frequent. I was actually waiting in the parking lot before the opened the day they got in a case of CBS. The employee was pretty suprised.

Im hoping they still have some Expo Stout and I'd like to find some Plead the Fifth
  25. founder26

sicilianos has PT5, btw i'll see ya at founders on the 10th i'll be wearing a black deftones hoodie
  26. Arcadia has a bourbon barrel Shipwreck Porter out that has a waxed cap that I think would be a great candidate for the cellar. I had it fresh a few months ago and it seemed a bit hot but I think that might mellow out over time. I have one that I'll let wait for a year or two.
  27. Skull40

Skull40 Aficionado (240) Indiana Apr 1, 2010

For something a little different, I would suggest aging Backwoods Bastard for about six to nine months. Don't go too long on that one. It will be released again this autumn.
  28. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (625) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Hey, I just posted a thread about a little store I found close to home in Hudsonville. The thread is here:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/up-and-coming-beer-store-in-hudsonville-mi.1538/
    Anyway, he pulled a bottle of both Dogfish Head WWS and 120 Min. IPA from under the counter. High price, but as highly rated as the WWS is, I think I'm gonna go run and get one tonight. As a lover of Stouts also, I want to try some of the good stuff. Where are you finding the CBS around these parts by the way?!
    Oh yeah, his bottles of WWS are like $10 bucks each! Being new to this also, I'm not sure if that's high or not...
  29. Jose2412

Well I spent quite a bit of time compiling a few bottle of CBS when it was release. Waited in line at Founders for my two and then got a few from a local store in Muskegon. I think I'm going to be in Grand Rapids tomorrow or Wednesday so I may have to check it out.
  30. MichPaul

I hope some day to be able to get my hands on even 1 CBS... Maybe this guy at this store can hook me up some day. Here's to hoping!!! If you could, message me if you ever hear of a way I can get a bottle of it. I live in Jenison. I would drive to Muskegon to get it fo sho! :)
  31. trginter

$10 is a little high. What year?
  32. The $10 for the WWS and 120 is close to a normal price at most stores. I have only purchased one of each in the past that I drank, and that was early in my craft-beer drinking experience so I don't think that I really appreciated them. I have another WWS in the cellar that I'm looking forward to drinking on some future special occasion, but I can't recall the last time that I saw a 120 on a store shelf.
  33. trginter

I thought I recalled them being $7-$8 a piece.
  34. Jose2412

Well its gonna be pretty hard to get unless your willing to buy one for $100 on ebay or they bottle it again. And who knows if they are making those backstage series beers again. You could always try and trade for one.
  35. MichPaul

Alright, thanks for the sad but honest truth Jose... :( Also thanks for the price info. I just went and got 2 bottles of the WWS from AJ's. Both only say: Bottled 2011 at 10:57 so they are relatively new. The one I'll drink for pure excitement's sake, the other I will probably save for a while. The guy also has some 120 min, but also for $10-$11 a bottle. I suggested Plead the fifth to the dude and he said he would try and get it, but being seasonal, not sure if he still can. We'll see!