Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Relax, your beer can handle it

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by zid, May 3, 2013.

1. zid

zid Advocate (675) New York Feb 15, 2010

Seems like there's always a thread about green bottles, 2 month old "expired" beer, bottle shops with dust, not buying beer without best by dates, laser etched glasses, the perfect pour, etc.

I'm not claiming that oxidation, shelf-life, skunking, and what-have-you shouldn't be genuine concerns... they are, but people seem to get so caught up in this stuff at the expense of just enjoying a beer.

At this moment, I'm drinking a 5% ABV brew from England, that I found sitting in a non-temp controlled warehouse in Brooklyn, completely covered in dust, 8 years past expiration date... and from a coffee mug...

... and it tastes fantastic.

I've bought lots of dodgy stuff over the years, but I've probably had to chuck about 1 beer for every 200 hundred for being off.

Beers change over time, skunking is not a total myth, proper glassware matters somewhat, but it's also possible to relax at bit and just have a beer without worrying so much.
    senseimike, Mersh, Jazzpha and 101 others like this.
  2. wisconsinbeer1

wisconsinbeer1 Savant (370) Wisconsin Nov 11, 2004 Verified

I dont know you. But I like you.
  3. timontheroad

timontheroad Champion (765) Colorado May 9, 2011 Verified

In the end, it's just beer. My philosophy is all beer is good, some are just better than others.
  4. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Alternatively, some people have different palates from yours and those things actually do taste bad to them. I drainpour way more frequently than that.
  5. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Advocate (510) New Jersey Apr 5, 2013 Verified

Preach brother preach.

Working in a bottle shop I've had to convince tons of people that beer doesn't skunk just because it gets semi warm over an hour in a car. Especially the BMC crap.
  6. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (565) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I gotta go to bed. Beer is the least of my problems. I got 99 more.
  7. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (390) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I hear you. Ultimately we all came here because we like beer, but sometimes I feel like we get too caught up in the BA lifestyle to just sit down and drink a beer.
    Roguer, DelMontiac, machalel and 5 others like this.
  8. shredder83

shredder83 Advocate (510) Illinois Feb 21, 2013 Verified

Most of us BA's know when something should just be passed over. I've had centennial ipa that was 4 months old, sucks that was 2 months old, etc., etc....I just enjoy what I drink, and drink what I enjoy. If we all have our heads up our own asses too far to enjoy what we love, then we've certainly lost our way.
  9. What aspect of the BA lifestyle makes it difficult to just sit down and drink a beer?
    KFBR392, BrettHead, machalel and 2 others like this.
  10. Cheers to you sir! You "get it"!
  11. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (305) California Jul 12, 2012

I agree with you for the most part, but I want nothing to do with a dusty IPA, mainly because I can get it fresh and properly stored elsewhere
    gshak and jrnyc like this.
  12. Vitacca

Vitacca Advocate (725) Montana Sep 15, 2010 Verified

I hear ya. Sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy the ride.
    ripps1 likes this.
  13. nsheehan

nsheehan Advocate (555) Texas Jul 3, 2011 Verified

I agree. Although I did buy a 7 year old wit beer that tasted like rotten apples. I've also bought 3 or 4 year old winter warmers and mid-abv Belgians that tasted fine. Or the Stone 09.09.09 I bought last week. I don't know how it was stored, but I had to buy at least one.

I am concluding a PtE aging experiment in 6 weeks. 3, 6 and 9 months of aging. Not refrigerated at all times either. It falls off, but it can handle it. So far it's great, it's just not World class any longer. In the end, some BAs will not fret about a 3 month old IPA, others will mourn a 6 week old one. Few people will change, so all we can do is shoot the shit while enjoying what we deem appropriate for one's self.
    Roguer, machalel and hopheadwes like this.
  14. You lost me at 200 hundred.
  15. jcreegan

jcreegan Aficionado (240) Florida Aug 12, 2010

If i want it I buy it. If it tastes good I drink it. If it tastes bad I drain-pour it and try something else.
    Roguer and zachary80 like this.
  16. HattedClassic

HattedClassic Advocate (595) Virginia Nov 23, 2009 Verified

Hmm. Interesting point. I seem to remember drinking a two year old winter warmer that was fine.
  17. This immediately made me think of a brewery with shitty beers but a lot of heart trying to come up with a slogan.
    Roguer, checktherhyme and Lantern like this.
  18. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (965) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I love looking at the beer clearance area, I've found some great deals and I don't mind drinking "old" beer at all. That said, I do prefer some beers as fresh as possible but I'll never scoff at a beer that's been sitting on a room temp shelf or is more than two weeks old. Some people just get silly with it, but that is their choice.
    Roguer, pcsnyder, machalel and 2 others like this.
  19. dvmin98

dvmin98 Champion (760) North Carolina Nov 1, 2010 Verified

Just had some Uberpils from Black Mountain. Year old in the bargain bin at 75% off. Trust me, it wasn't 75% worse than other beers I've had fresh. It was pretty nice, even with the dust bunnies.
    Roguer likes this.
  20. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Advocate (570) Colorado Dec 9, 2011 Verified

I would be more willing to buy an "older" beer if the store would mark it down. And I don't mean by $1 a sixpack.
    Roguer, BrettHead, szmnnl99 and 8 others like this.
  21. Like others have noted, it's just beer. Fucking relax.
  22. kuhndog

kuhndog Savant (375) New York Sep 6, 2011

I don't mind buying "old" beer, most of the time it tastes ok. But I'm not going to pay $12.99 a 6pk to find out. $5.99 or less I'll buy anything :).
    Roguer and mfnmbvp like this.
  23. MWRod

MWRod Disciple (60) Connecticut Apr 6, 2013

I'm with you in spirit, but then on the other hand I have been burned by a couple of dusty Lagunitas six packs because they didn't have a date on them. Maximus and Undercover Shut-down, both horrible with faded hops. So I have learned to be wary of IPA's once they're more than a few months old. But for other styles like brown ales, porters, stouts, dopplebocks, etc. I'm totally fine with some shelf age.
    prock180 likes this.
  24. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

But what if I left the bottles in my trunk, and it was a hot day?
  25. surfcaster

surfcaster Advocate (585) North Carolina Apr 20, 2013 Verified

Agree with sentiment but it is so easy to get good fresh stuff these days that for the style where it matters, why settle?
    JayORear likes this.
  26. Sludgeman

Sludgeman Champion (780) District of Columbia Aug 17, 2012 Verified

Depends on what color your car is OR is it the glass color of the bottles? I'm confused.
  27. fox227

fox227 Advocate (610) California Nov 19, 2010

What exactly was this 8 year old beer from England?
    Roguer and t420o like this.
  28. jmw

jmw Savant (440) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

This is a refreshing sentiment in these forums
  29. From the 1769 diary of Joseph Banks who wrote this in New Zealand after a year on board ship ;bear in mind the conditions encountered by the beer in a small wooden boat which spent several months in the tropics ;
    "Our Malt liquors have answerd extreemly well: we have now both small beer and Porter upon tap as good as I ever drank them, especialy the latter which was bought of Sam. & Jno. Curtiss at Wapping New Stairs. The Small beer had some art usd to make it keep, it was bought of Bruff & Taylor in Hog Lane near St Giles's."

Also for those who thing 3 months is stretching things;
    Roguer and machalel like this.
  30. Gunch43

Gunch43 Savant (355) Pennsylvania Jan 15, 2010 Verified

My first venture into Hopslam was in a clearance bin in September. I bought it for $1.00. I just knew I liked hops and I LOVED the label. That was about 4 years ago. I drive almost 90 miles every January to ensure I get my case. I can't remember what it tasted like the first time, but it must of been pretty damn good for me to seak it out every year after that.
    ImperialStoat likes this.
  31. kinghippo

kinghippo Zealot (95) Massachusetts Nov 27, 2008

Amen Brotha
    Hopportunistic likes this.
  32. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (735) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I do the same thing and have zero regrets.
    Hanzo likes this.
  33. LSMroz

LSMroz Savant (265) Illinois Jan 25, 2013

Last week I bought a Flensburger Pilsener (4.8%) for the 12 oz swing top bottle it came in. Tried a sip. Drain poured the rest. Bottle date was 9-30-11.
  34. Just as light and O2 are not good for beer, extreme heat is not either. How hot and how long will be parts of the equation. For accelerated staling tests, breweries will keep a beer at something like 140F or 150F for 24 hours then test and taste for staling.

An hour in the parking lot, don't worry.
  35. I get what you're saying, but you're on a beer snob site you know...
    Roguer, tzieser, beerme411 and 2 others like this.
  36. I used to share your philosophy but lately I've had to rethink this approach. I bought an old bottle of Celebrator. It sucked. Last week I bought a year old four pack of Skull Splitter. It was gross. I'm all for enjoying beer for what it is, but oxidized cardboard and waxy/cider flavors do not compliment malt forward beers. If I'm going to spend my money I'd rather not take the chance and just buy fresh beer. Unless it is a style that can be aged, obviously.
    fox227, JayORear and LSMroz like this.
  37. GoGators

GoGators Advocate (730) New Jersey Aug 5, 2010 Verified

While i love the "relax and enjoy" sentiment of the OP, let's face it, for every beer that tastes fine 8 years past its expiration date, there are probably 99 that don't, especially a lower abv beer. And bottle shops that would leave a beer on their shelf that long probably don't care much about their customers. So yes, Relax and Enjoy, but it's not stressing out to be mindful of shelf life and watch what we all spend our hard earned $$$ on.
    Roguer, RBassSFHOPit2ME and JayORear like this.
  38. JayORear

JayORear Advocate (685) California Feb 22, 2012 Verified

This is closest to what I'm feeling these days, especially after recently trying (and drain pouring) a 3-month old Sucks. Sure, I could "relax a bit" and drink it, but I could also crack open the Enjoy By in my fridge, or the fresh Pliny, or walk a block to my corner bottle shop and pick up one of a hundred bottles. Yes: why settle?
    GoGators, surfcaster and fox227 like this.
  39. I enjoyed a Shipyard beer last night.
  40. fox227

fox227 Advocate (610) California Nov 19, 2010

I've ran into problems with old Samuel Smith beers, which makes me question OP's original claim of having a "fantastic" eight year old, 5% English beer. Fantastic compared to what, I dare to ask?
    machalel and GoGators like this.