1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

religious experience

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ThirstyBehr, Feb 3, 2013.

1. you ever had a beer so good that it sets a new standard for beer and completely blows your mind? that's religious! the first time it happened to me was when i drank 90 minute for the first time and since then i've been chasing that feeling trying to find that next beer to rock my world. well i found it and i've gotta say it was even more powerful then the grand 90 minute... burton baton has stole my heart and drove it off into the heavens! goddamn this beer is beautiful almost a liquid poem. i know i'm not alone out there, share your religious experiences!

p.s. my intention is not to offend anyone, its all in good fun!

2. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

BCBS - started a massive trading addiction that has caused me to acquire 200 bottles of BA stouts.

3. mcrago

mcrago Savant (345) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

I have honestly told friends that the first time I had Bourbon County was a religious experience.

4. when i first poured a glass of baton (hophead btw) i could smell pineapple while the glass was sitting on the counter at that moment i knew it was all over. then i took my first sip and it was as if a white puffy cloud floated me through those big pearly gates while angel whispered in my ears lol

ironchefmiyagi13 likes this.
  5. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (665) California Dec 15, 2012

Maybe not a religious experience, but a very pleasant surprise. I'm drinking Alpine Pure Hoppiness as I type. I thought it was going to be hopped to the max and bitter. It's a very balanced, delicious brew... I like it a lot!

jzeilinger likes this.
  6. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

For me it was definately espresso oak aged yeti. The moment I smelt that beer I knew It would be one of my favorites.

7. We had some time off when working in Germany, so on a long religious weekend we went to Belgium and were at Orval and Chiamy. Does that count? Probably not here.

8. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

along time ago..... hennepin and la fin du monde did this for me................. but now with all the beers out there.................... I am a mess..........

mcrago likes this.
  9. TheBigEast

TheBigEast Savant (260) New York Oct 21, 2004

Apple Brandy Hunahpu on the end of the world day - the world did not end but I was floating above the ground!

fullmetal1381 and ThirstyBehr like this.
  10. I didn't care for burton baton.... haha it was good though

I wish I could remember the beers I felt that way about.

11. Angst

Angst Aficionado (195) California Nov 8, 2007

'09 Abyss. Either I got a non infected one or it was before it turned. It was delicious!! It was the beer that got me into stouts. Now they are my favorite. Especially BA Stouts! Pliny would be another. Made me say "Wow!" and understand the whole hop craze thing.

mcrago likes this.
  12. that sounds f*cking awesome... to drink chimay in belgium is religious... now if you shared a pint with a monk while at chimay, then you my friend sit atop the stairway of heaven!

13. its ok the baton is very forgiving lmao

14. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Parabola!! Blew my mind!!
    Pliny!! I hated hoppy beer before I tried Pliny!!

SammyJaxxxx, Angst and mcrago like this.
  15. You have no idea, do you? We saw a little of the manastary, and then had some Chimay in town.

Orval allows you to see a little more, but not much more, you can also buy beer, cheese, bread and religious artifacts in the gift shop.

16. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (265) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

My first quad, Sixth Glass, got me into the church. Then ABT 12 I was converted Amen!!!

TheGoldsmith likes this.
  17. obrike

obrike Savant (425) Texas Jun 19, 2009

My first Maharaja a few years ago blew my mind. Was very, very sad when it was all gone.

18. As an atheist since childhood who had to fend off religious indoctrination, my idea of a religious experience is probably unorthodox (OK - pun intended). So I'm going to go with Pumking. My friends kneel before it, and I try it every year, only to have my body reject it.

19. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Hopslam 2011 but none of their examples since.

PROST Dunkel on draft at the brewery where I had one of the first pulls from a new batch.

Bell's Two-Hearted that was one week old.

Pliny & Blind Pig fresh on draft at a few California places.

Odells IPA fresh batch once at the brewery before a tour.

Guinness in Europe.

Bitterbill likes this.
  20. ahh the great pumpking... how you made all other pumpkin beers obsolete.

Hermthegerm likes this.
  21. As I'm not religious no. If I have any visions or bleeding palms I just chalk it up to the alcohol.

22. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

You obviously haven't had '09 BCBS recently.

TheBrewViking likes this.
  23. Was over in Munich for Oktoberfest last fall... In the Paulaner tent at 10:30 in the morning, a litre of beer and a plate of sausages and kraut in front of me. Looking around, everyone was drinking but no one was drunk (maybe cause it was before noon haha). All I saw was friends and family enjoying each others company over a few beers, which is what it's all about when it comes down to it. One of the more significant drinking moments I've had

24. hagbergl

hagbergl Savant (285) Maryland Aug 27, 2009

La Fin du Monde, for sure. I had never had anything like it. I thought, "BEER CAN TASTE LIKE THIS!?" Mind. Blown. Been hooked on craft beer ever since.

slim2043, WassailWilly and seakayak like this.
  25. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I don't know about religious but the first beer to really blow my mind was Stone IRS. I had been drinking good beer before that but never really went beyond what was easily found in supermarkets.

This was probably 7-8 years ago and I had just picked one up at a local place. I think it was $4.99, which at that time seemed like a lot. Well I was amazed from the first sip. In fact, I had to pull over for a few minutes so I could really stay in the moment and enjoy it.

SatlyMalty and franklinn like this.
  26. Why? Would my body reject that one, too?

27. yamar68

Your body would convulse with spiritual ecstasy.

jglowe77, Steimie and egrace84 like this.
  28. amen brother! one of the best memories i have from drinking was the night of election day. we all sat around a table, drank good beer, and talked politics. at the end of the night everyone agreed and agreed to disagree but we all got to enjoy an old tradition that i'm sure a group of patriotic men were enjoying 250 years ago. something that intertwines history, tradition, brotherhood, and beer! what a beautiful thing

palma and Anker13 like this.
  29. Not for BCBS, it wouldn't.

Besides, the only spirit that enters my body is Bourbon. Actual Bourbon, not the ohmygawd-this-beer-smells-like-it kind.

30. yamar68

Have you had '09 lately?

Scalzo likes this.
  31. MystikCelt

MystikCelt Savant (305) New York Jun 11, 2011

Maple Bacon Coffee Porter from the Funky Buddha brewery. I haven't tasted anything that good since this one time at band camp...

ColdOne likes this.
  32. Actually, had the 2012 special painted bottle version of Chimay Grande Reserve (Blue) last night. It'd been long years since I'd had it, and the last time (small 11.2oz bottle) it was 'meh, not bad'. I figured maybe my tastes had just changed (which, let's face it, they have) over the years and this beer just wasn't as good as I once thought it was.

I. was. wrong. It gets no love on here, as it's not the 'coolest' among the Trappist brews (read, it's easy to get and nicely priced) but DAMN is it still a classic among classics...

szmnnl99 likes this.
  33. bostonlogga

bostonlogga Zealot (85) Washington Jan 13, 2013

Hoponius union
    Parabola
    Sang royal

34. palma

palma Savant (415) New York Dec 14, 2003

Agree about Stone IRS. I had similar experience. thats the first beer that blew my mind. Pretty much turning me into a hophead (although that has subsided now and I am now a malt head)

35. palma

palma Savant (415) New York Dec 14, 2003

just picturing this environment in my head gave me the chills.

36. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Washington Sep 12, 2012

That's not a haiku.
    You need seven syllables
    In the middle dude.

ThirstyBehr and Gregfalone like this.
  37. Goin to church stinkin', shitfaced drunk is fun

38. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I can't stop thinking about B3 Beat or Blabaer :(

39. Houblon (at the Chouffe brewery pub)
    BCBS
    Sofie (Goose Island)
    Westvleteren 12

40. When I pulled the cork on the first Lucifer I ever had, the aroma took me back to the first sip of beer I ever stole from my father. I know it's not the best beer in the world, but every time I crack one that wonderful aroma reminds me why I can't live without beer!