1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

religious experience

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ThirstyBehr, Feb 3, 2013.

1. The view from my favorite table at Schlenkerla. Used to be a chapel for the Dominican monks back in the 14th century. Now Rauchbier is served by gravity from the wooden barrel where the altar used to be. Is that what you mean by "religious experience?"

[​IMG]

2. I agree with hoponius being a religious drinking experience and will add kiwi rising. Also for the sake of tolerance, lost abbey in particular witch's wit!

3. Jeez, man- you have a favorite table and everything? Do they shout your name like 'Norm' when you walk in?;)

I gotta say, though, that if I were there it would be hard for me to leave...

herrburgess likes this.
  4. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (365) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

For me it was probably when I had my first Rochefort 10. Had never had anything like it before and it completely blew me away.

ASUBeer likes this.
  5. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (550) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Aventinus
    La Chouffe
    Backwoods Bastard
    St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout
    John Barleycorn
    Old Foghorn

6. Lane1

Lane1 Aficionado (205) California Jan 10, 2011

Odell's Myrcenary set the standard for hoppy beers...it's incredible.

50/50 Eclipse PvW and GI Rare are two of the best stouts in existence.

7. yes that is exactly what i mean! f*cking beautiful!

8. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (445) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

C`mon, you've had to have brewed something you fell in love with.

9. Hated IPAs until I have Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere a few years back. Started an infatuation with fresh/wet hopped IPAs and now I can barely drink anything but hoppy beer.

10. Yes, but love is not a religious experience.

11. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

I wouldn't call it a religious experience, but Boulevard's "Sixth Glass" quad was what turned me onto trying craft beers. Founders Breakfast is the best beer I've ever had, and that was a religious experience.

12. brikelly

brikelly Savant (430) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

Walking into the Cantillon brewery last September, I was smacked in the face with an intense, all-enveloping and unmistakable loon funkiness.

Could've convinced me there and then that I'd been hit by a truck on 56 rue Gheude as I crossed the street to get there.

cfrances33 likes this.
  13. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (440) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

It should at least earn you an indulgence.

14. I have had a few beers and a meal at that table.

15. Lerxst

Lerxst Savant (425) Florida Jun 17, 2005

Years ago when I first started getting into craft, I enjoyed stouts (never had an RIS) when I was given a Stone IRS that had been properly cellared for a year. Blew my mind. Never knew beer could be like that. That moment changed me forever.

16. Sculpin, Boy King, BCBS, Raspberry Tart/Belgian Red, Arrogant Bastard, an '07 Double Bastard I had a few months back, first batch of terrapin hopzilla and I'm sure a few others

17. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Firestone Walker 14th Anniversary.

18. Rochefort 10

Cantillon Classic Gueuze

Hello Belgium.

19. Pannepot still wows me every time I can get a hold of it. Perfection to me.

20. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

I love ALL Cantillon, but still, to this day, nothing beats Lou Pepe Gueuze with 3-4 years on it. It is THE most INSANELY good beer I've ever had. Fresh LP taste the same as classic gueuze, but with several years in the cellar, its a completely different animal.

21. I first had Sculpin and I was blown away by the aroma. I couldn't explain it and just sat there reveling in the smell. Still chasing that IPA aroma...

22. Pliny The Elder on draft at RR
    FW Parabola - I had to sit down after my first sip and nearly shed a tear when my glass was empty
    Alpine Nelson - Nectar of the gods

23. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (260) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

For me, I'd have to go with the first time I had Arrogant Bastard. I got a bottle just because it looked cool, and I thought the back was hilarious. I took that first sip, and realized for the first time that beer could truly be a form of art. Then of course a couple weeks later I had Double Bastard, and the bar was raised yet again. From there I couldn't look back, even if I wanted to.

24. recently....Arrogant Bastard...just a perfectly delicious beer..being mostly an IPA DIPA kinda guy...this beer made me want to seek out more like it. Up there with Flower Power and Ruination as my current fav's

25. It was the first time i had a craft beer. I was at an outdoor string cheese incident concert in late spring of 2004, i was 19. A girl i had just met in the crowd handed me a Racer 5, it was fucking amazing. One of the best beers i have ever had due to location, timing and people around me. I havent looked back since, truly a religious experience...

26. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (270) California Jul 12, 2012

have had several mind blowing, joyous experiences. Never religious, that ivolves god

in this order:

Roch10
    PtY
    Citra
    Adam and Fred from the Wood
    Black Tuesday

27. Pliny
    Perdition
    Interlude
    Framboise for a Cure
    La Parcela
    BCBS
    Sculpin

28. mklisz

mklisz Advocate (655) New Hampshire Dec 31, 2010

After the 3 hour drive up to Hill Farmstead, getting my first taste of Abner while waiting in line. Couldn't stop grinning.

29. Nugget Nectar is what did it for me

30. Kendo

Kendo Advocate (505) New York Dec 23, 2005

Goose Island Imperial IPA, which is long since retired. One of the first DIPAs I ever had and a near-religious experience at the time. . . .

31. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (390) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

I've had a lot of fantastic beers in my time - Dark Lord and Gumballhead at DLD, Kate the Great, Utopias, Abyss, etc, etc. But nothing has the kind of religious experience I had seeing Roger Waters performing Dark Side of the Moon live. :cool:

32. EWR2STL

EWR2STL Disciple (70) Missouri Feb 4, 2013

Founders KBS on tap (2012) rocked my world.
    Bolt Cutter as well.
    Goose Island Madame Rose brought me into the church of sour.
    Hopslam (first time I had it was this year) is amazing.

33. slim2043

slim2043 Savant (395) Connecticut Jul 23, 2012

My first FBS caused me not to sleep until I found MORE! What a beer. Wish it still did that for me.

34. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

3-day old HT. I was new to craft beer and had no idea what I was drinking.

35. So should I send this thread on to the local police station? Stone IRS must really be something if it made you temporarily stop drinking and driving....

36. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Palo Santo. I poured a glass in high hopes because, well it's expensive, I love DFH, and brown ales got me into this cult in the first place. I thought ok, this is pretty damn good but not epic. I was playing poker and not paying attention. Once the beer warmed up, I took a sip and looked down at it and went, "WoW." All I had to do was give it some attention and warm it up some. The rest of the 8 oz. were pure bliss. I talked about that beer everyday for a week.

Another night my friend and I split some bottles we were saving. Sucaba, BCBCS, Burton Baton, Palo Santo. This time the BCBCS was absolutely outstanding. And then it was time for the Burton and Palo. I have had Burton before and it wasn't memorable. This time though, Palo wasn't the one that made me see the light, it was the Burton. Holy heaven was it good with 8 months on it. That beer paired with watching Umphreys McGee webcast their 15th anniversary show gave me such a hightened sense of enlightenment.

These beers are always changing as time goes on and when you happen to open it at its maximum potential, you are greatly rewarded with a beer that you'll always remember and remember that moment in time.

EWR2STL likes this.
  37. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (500) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

A wrathful and spite filled Ghod visited upon my unsuspecting tongue the essence of cold Ho Jo pancakes smothered in bacon grease and Beelzebub Jamima syrup and lit with the fires of Hades. Damn you Rogue and your Voodoo Abomination! I will never stray from the righteous path again (until the next time)

38. godlessape

godlessape Savant (310) Georgia Dec 12, 2010

I've felt it with Arrogant Bastard, Two Hearted just to name a few.

39. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Heady topper did it for me. Up to that point hoppy beers never really did it for me. Heady changed everything.

40. pliny the elder and parabola