1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Remove the requirement to review beers when adding them

Discussion in 'Site' started by sacrelicio, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I think that the requirement to review a beer when you add it should be removed. For instance, I just visited Canal Park Brewpub in Duluth MN and tried all 7 beers that were on tap. None of their beers are listed on BA. I want to add them so I can mark them as "had" and to help others review them if desired, but I don't have the time to review all 7 beers. I have found that many beers from my state (Minnesota) are not in the database (especially from newer breweries) and I reckon to guess that the requirement to review the beer is keeping folks from adding them to the DB. I believe that removing the review requirement would encourage people to add beers to the database and would make the site better.

Thanks!

Michigan and Kerrie like this.
  2. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I am also too lazy to adequately participate in the community, you guys wanna throw in a couple rule changes for me as well?

Off the top of my head I'm thinking we should make it so when I tick a want someone automatically sends me that beer for free. Also can we turn "likes" into a form of currency already?

3. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Hard to write reviews on a smart phone. I Concur. Tickers gotta tick, and some of us would rather use BA than Unta'p'p'd', mostly because of the stupid way they spell it. Would it be a gigantic hassle to create a fucntion where breweries have to approve of their beer being listed before it goes live? If you're at a place and they dont exist on BA, is it too crazy to let them know you're going to add them to BA, and ask them to go approve it for free pub?

Kerrie likes this.
  4. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (485) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

I agree with sacrelicio. It's not out of laziness, but out of a genuine inability to review those beers properly if you've had several a night or simply forget. I'm not going to start carrying a notepad when I'm at a brewpub with friends and I don't have a smart phone to post from on the spot. I live in MI where there are several smaller brewpubs and most of their offerings aren't listed here. At the time I went to add them, I didn't meet the 10 review requirement, but now that I do, I can't add the beers since it's been so long since I've had them and I don't remember any details. I don't want to do a disservice and write a shit review from memory just to add them, either.

sacrelicio likes this.
  5. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

This topic has already been discussed and addressed in this forum; numerous times.

We're not removing this feature (as it works) yet, but will look at other options with the site redesign.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.