1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Removing and Collecting labels

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by heygeebee, Jun 25, 2012.

1. ah well, the pile of empties under the house in the cellar is just getting unmanageable, so yours truly had a bright idea of removing the labels and keeping them.

Just soaking in water doesn't work - as I have just found - and all the 'help' I have found thus far mentions adding 'Oxiclean' to the water. That's Ok but not around these parts.

Is there an Aus version of the Oxiclean product that anyone can recommend? Any other tried and tested methods?

Cheers
  2. Lukie

Lukie Savant (415) Australia Jun 16, 2007

PBW works wonders for removing labels.

Not so much if you want to keep them <_<

3. There are two types of beer label

1. Those that when removed have no adhesive left on them
    2. Those that when removed still have adhesive on them

Either way soak in hot tap water for min 5 mins and you'll be able to peel them off as the adhesive will be melting. You can use a sharp knife to start peeling off until you can get your fingers to do the rest.

With label number 2 just find a piece of scrap paper and stick it to the back of the label and cut around excess paper with scissors.

Happy collecting
    joecast likes this.
  4. foles

foles Savant (375) Australia Jan 28, 2007

I much prefer coasters. I've collected heaps from all over the world. The missus surprised me on my birthday one year by getting about 20 or so in a large picture frame for me! Looks great in the homebrewery.....
  5. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

Soaking in hot water usually does the trick. Can take a while for some though. If still having trouble maybe a razor blade to help scrape the off. Or keep the bottles if they're too tough.
  6. Kiwi

Kiwi Aficionado (205) New York Mar 15, 2004

Microwave the bottles and the glue melts=-label peals off
  7. napisan??