1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Renegade elevated wood

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by heyduke, Sep 22, 2012.

1. heyduke

heyduke Member

Just saw this on Facebook anyone know anything about it?
  2. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Member

Supposedly released 10/9???
  3. CK21

CK21 Member

Triple IPA in Wild Turkey bourbon barrels, thought the aim was for 10/6 mass release. I'm sure details will become readily available.
  4. highlifeCO

highlifeCO Member

Looking forward to this.
  5. Domingo

Domingo Member

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to buy some of those. Renegade's bigger beers have been tasty.
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  6. gklover1

gklover1 Member

Never NEVER would have thought to have any aged IPA (that's right coreymcafee), even if it was in a bourbon/whiskey barrel. Then poonamibaxter ordered a BA Gubna at the Oskar/Parry's tap takeover. For me, it blew both BA Chub AND BA Fidy out of the water. Off the freaking charts awesome. Can't wait to wait in line for this Renegade gem...
    coreymcafee likes this.
  7. heyduke

heyduke Member

Great divide has rumble and they're anniversary beers all aged ipa's
    Domingo likes this.
  8. Tarheel4985

Tarheel4985 Member

I believe those are all oak-aged, not barrel-aged. I don't think Great Divide has done any actual barrel-aged IPAs or IIPAs. Just the Yeti, Old Ruffian, and Hibernation.

Odell is releasing Woodcut No. 6, which is dry-hopped with Mosaic hops. While not classified as an IIPA, I'm anxious to see how a dry-hopped beer survived the barrel-aging, especially in virgin oak. Even at $25-$30 a bottle, seems like a must try for barrel hop heads.
  9. Domingo

Domingo Member

Yup, the GD beers are "just" oak aged. However they freakin' rule beyond belief.
  10. biking4beer

biking4beer Member

They could dry-hop it after the barrel aging.
  11. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Member

ISO: mule for 1-2 bottles
    Live in Ft. Collins and just can't get there for the release! Going to be in town for GABF from Thursday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. Stuff I might have for trade (depending on what comes in some trades the next few weeks): Surly Furious, Bender and/or Coffee Bender, Founders Breakfast Stout and Wyerebacher Imperial Pumpkin. Sure I can find more. Not sure how much the bottles will be, but can go money and beer. Cheers, Steve
  12. biking4beer

biking4beer Member

I should rephrase. It's possible that they might dry hop it after barrel aging so you get that fresh dry hop flavor and aroma instead of oxidized hop flavor and aroma which can be pretty nasty.
  13. Prospero

Prospero Member

Best-oak-aged IPA by far: White Oak Jai Alai, just had some and the white oak is so much better matched for IPAs... amazing beer.

BA IPA, never had, definitely interested in this.
    coreymcafee and tacosandbeer like this.
  14. Tarheel4985

Tarheel4985 Member

Yeah, I would think dry-hopping post barrel aging would be the way to preserve the hop aroma. But from reading the description, I don't think that's what they're doing.

I've brewed 3 different IIPA's that were barrel-aged and they all turned out great, but we only aged them for 3-5 months, except for the last one. The last one was a monster at 13.5% ABV and we ended up dry-hopping it in the barrel for about 2 weeks after 11 months of aging. It turned out fantastic!
  15. biking4beer

biking4beer Member

Yeah, you're right.

"The brewers included both Mosaic and another yet-to-be-named experimental hop variety in the kettle and Hopback. The beer was dry hopped with 100% Mosaic hops, and transferred to virgin American oak barrels where it aged for several months. The final blend marries the unique and complex tropical fruit sweetness of the Mosaic hop with the vanilla and toasted oak from the new barrels..

16. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Member

Bumping this because I have a question; On multiple websites n(craftbeer.com, denver.org, etc), they say the bomber release is at 1PM. On Renegade's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/events/226179360841405/), it says 6PM. Who has the right answer?
  17. gklover1

gklover1 Member

On their website (http://renegadebrewing.com/events/) it says 1pm. They don't open until 3pm today for me to call and get a live answer...

No matter what, I will show up at 1pm. I could always come back at 6pm if I am wrong, but I DON'T want to miss this one...
  18. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Member

I hear that...I don't want to miss it either. But would much rather know if I'm spending lunch or dinner at the brewery. I suppose I could call to ask too :confused:
  19. gklover1

gklover1 Member

No judgement or sweat...

I will be calling regardless and will report back findings for the lot of us.
    ssteigerwald and tacosandbeer like this.
  20. Domingo

Domingo Member

Looks like I might have to swing by on my lunch break or hope they still have some left by 5PM.
  21. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Member

I think it said bottle release at 1, tasting at 6. You guys really think they will sell out of 1,000 bottles?
  22. Domingo

Domingo Member

Probably not, but I guess if there's no limit you might see people buying up large amounts of them. If there are 1,000 of them I feel pretty safe in just heading over at 5PM. They might sell 1,000 that week, but not in one day.
  23. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Member

I can't make it til Thursday, I was hoping they would have some left then!
  24. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Member

I'd just make sure to buy it before the swarms of GABF-goers get wind of it, especially if it's good...
  25. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Member

Anyone know if there is a bottle limit or the price?
  26. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Member

6pm, no bottle limit, $25 per.
    gklover1 likes this.
  27. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Member

Thanks! And $25 each...wow.
  28. gklover1

gklover1 Member

Thanks for the follow-up. Have been too busy this afternoon to call again.

I liked the 1pm idea much better. Smaller crowd, higher likelyhood of getting it easily. THE CHASE IS ON!!
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  29. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Member

At that price point I don't expect them to fly out the door. First, it's an IPA (technically a double or triple, whatever). Second, aged in barrels so with time you don't really know if it will improve or what it will end up tasting like. At $25 and with all the great Fall releases out there more than likely one bottle will be all I need! I love Renegade, but was expecting something more in the $12-$18 range. Hell, Parabola is half that :)
  30. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Member

Hell, I can get 2 Uncle Jacobs Stout for that price!
    SFACRKnight likes this.
  31. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Member

....and have change leftover.
    hopfacebrew and SalukiAlum like this.
  32. kmank

kmank Member

This isn't the first time Renegade has released this brew right? Well it might be the first time in bottles but I swear I was in 3 months back and they had this on tap for there One Year Anniversary party.

Just did a little research and it looks like it did come out in June, http://www.thrillist.com/bars/denve.../renegades-one-year-anniversary-party_brewery

From what I remember it was incredibly tasty but I don't think I would spend $25 on a bottle of it.
    SalukiAlum and tacosandbeer like this.
  33. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Member

Has anyone tried this yet? I noticed that it hit a bunch of store shelves yesterday...I was surprised by this, I thought it was a brewery-only release. I might venture out to find it today if it's worth it.
  34. Domingo

Domingo Member

I'm assuming they still have some left at Renegade, yes? I was thinking the release was today, so we were planning on heading over tonight.
  35. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Member

The release at the brewery was last night, but I was wondering the same regarding availability at the brewery. I might call later. They open at 1 all week.
  36. Domingo

Domingo Member

I totally spaced the release date, so I was thinking it was today. I can't make it over until after 6, so hopefully they aren't out.
  37. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Member

You shouldn't have any trouble finding a bottle. At $25 it will sell out, but will take a few days.
  38. Domingo

Domingo Member

I was thinking that, although with stores getting it I was wondering if they actual brewery had many.
  39. denver10

denver10 Member

Was down in Denver earlier and saw this at Argonauts.
  40. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Member

Do they have it on tap? Is it on sale at the brewery? Has anyone tried it, what did you think? Considering a bottle, but not sure I want to throw down $25 when I'll be drinking the best beer from around the US from Thursday to Sunday.