Renegade Elevated Wood

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by DenverBeerDrinker, Jan 11, 2013.

1. What did people think about this beer? The one I drank didn't have any carbonation. The one poured at the bottle share in the DTC this last weekend seemed to be the same.

Must not be moving very well. Saw it on the shelf for $13 today. Really big price drop from the $25 it originally sold for.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  2. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

That's the experience I've had with it. No carbo. Nice flavor, but flatter than a 10yr old boy...or something:confused:

3. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (550) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Over priced in the first place and I'm a big Renegade fan.

4. Ditto. Big Renegade fan, just can't justify $25 for an IPA

5. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

It's a barrel-aged TIPA just for clarification. Had it and thought it was great, but yes, lacked carbonation, worth $15 maybe, not the $25 at the release

6. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Yup, one more with the same opinion. Tasty, but flat. Not even really a pop or fizz when you open the bottle. If it were bottle conditioned or forced carbonated, it might be really, really good though. Maybe not $25 good, but still good. I bought it as more of a sign of support for the idea more than thinking it would be a good value.

tylerzombie likes this.
  7. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (315) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

There seems to be a bit of a struggle recently with breweries bottling barrel aged beers. Just in the last couple of months, I had Crooked Stave Sentience and River North BA Avarice on draft, and I was totally floored by both - draft Sentience was one of the best beers I've ever had in my life. Then, the bottle version of both of those beers fell short - they weren't bad, mind you, just a much different experience than the draft version.

Chad says he intended bottle Sentience to be less carbed, and I understand it's his prerogative, so that's a unique version of this. But I wouldn't expect bottle BA Avarice to be intended to be any different than draft, however it wasn't nearly the same beer. Still good, not the superb thing I got three of when I found it at Lucky Pie Denver. I believe I've heard Elevated Wood was great on draft at the release, but the bottle conditioning didn't pan out. New breweries that will get better at this, I'm sure, but it seems we need more packaging experts in Denver and Boulder to help out all these new breweries popping up.

8. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (725) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Another example of the fly-by-night brewing culture that has taken over. Don't bother establishing quality first just throw it in a barrel, bottle it, and charge $25. I liked elevation when I tasted it but even Stevie Wonder could see this would be a flop. They need to put out some quality bottles at a reasonable price and then when demand takes off they can charge upper echelon prices accordingly.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  9. ArrogantB

I also really wish brewers would stop saying "I meant to do that" when their barrel aged beers are flat. Really? Then why is it not flat on draft? That's some PeeWee Herman bullshit. Since when is beer supposed to be flat? Pretty sure unblended lambic is the only intentionally flat style of beer.

alexipa and tacosandbeer like this.
  10. joshclauss

Who took AB off his meds?

I personally don't have a problem with brewers trying things. And I liked draft Sentience more than bottle Sentience, but you know what? Less-than-ideal Sentience is still one of my favorite beers made this year. Elevated Wood was still a cool experiment. I haven't bought a bottle of Elevated Wood, because I waited to see reviews roll in. I bought lots of Sentience and don't regret it for a second. We'd all be wise to pick our spots, know when we're taking a risk, and not look for somebody to blame when a bad experience is had. I like Renegade's beer, so one poorly executed packaging element on a first attempt isn't going to make me anything but cautious. But I do think there may be a market for a packaging expert consultant, and if a brewery can afford to use one, the results in terms of brand loyalty might be really worth it.

11. quine

quine Savant (260) Colorado Feb 15, 2011

In case anyone cares, the bottle of Elevated Wood I brought to the share in DTC was $13. Definitely would not have gone for it if it were $25 but I thought it was worth a try at that price point. I actually still have about half of it left in the swingtop (for some reason my drunken self decided it was a good idea to bring it back), and I'm wondering if there's any way it could be good in food, but I kinda doubt it.

12. joshclauss

Hoppy beers can be difficult and unpredictable to cook with, but grab a copy of The Brewmaster's Table and see if there are good recipes. I've had some really bitter dishes made with hoppy beer. Next time you see me out at an event, ask me about the time my girlfriend poached brats in Dales Pale Ale. Holy hell...

13. Steve_0

Steve_0 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

Soda Machine perhaps. . .

14. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (915) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I found this stuff to be absolutely dreadful. Perhaps even the worst beer made in Colorado - and I'm including Coors' offerings in my analysis.

Carbonation was the least of its issues - but it was indeed one of them.

15. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

We cracked open my bottle at the Crooked Stave share and people generally seemed to think the flavor was okay...but it is kind of hard to get past how still it was. I honestly think it would be okay with some carbonation.

16. alexipa

alexipa Savant (420) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Harsh, but entirely true. You have to earn the right to mark your beers up ridiculously.

17. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (455) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

Do you though?

18. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

No, they have the right. I think he was just saying you need a reputation first for those kind of beers before people will pay that much. Case-in-point, you can still find Elevated Wood on the shelf 3 months after release.

alexipa likes this.
  19. I still have the one I bought for $25 in my fridge. I guess I have a lot to look forward to ;)

20. ArrogantB

Yeah, don't blame the brewer when a bad experience is had. Yeah. Attitudes like this are the impetus for breweries to put out subpar product at premium prices, they know they can count on all the joshs out there.

Its not a TV studio, Josh! Turn these lights out! Its a fucking rock concert!

21. joshclauss

Yeah, man. Brian from Renegade is really putting one over on all of us. That's more the attitude everyone should have.

22. ArrogantB

Ok. If you want to support subpar beers at premium prices and call them experiments or supporting the "idea" go right ahead. Just know that you are supporting and advancing the mediocrity, American Idol style.

FarmerTed and tacosandbeer like this.
  23. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

I don't think it was an experiment or an exercise in mediocrity. It was a mistake. Something happened in the bottling process that killed the carbo. This really isn't known until the bottle is complete. I suppose they could have had a bottle in waiting for 2 weeks or so to see if the carbo was present. But why would they think it wasn't? It seems like they assumed it would be OK, and that's the mistake.
    The question now is, what to do with it. They should pull them from the shelves. Hurts now, but helps long-run.

ArrogantB likes this.
  24. ArrogantB

I agree with this. I think there needs to be some accountability for quality with these high priced beers. If we just keep buying whatever gets thrown out there there will be no incentive to pay attention to quality. The idea of holding off on a release for a couple weeks and tasting the beer to see if its any good is just common sense. I understand they may not want to dump a subpar batch but some breweries have the integrity to do just that. Firestone Walker 10 was $10 when it was released, 11 was $17, and now they are $22. It seems they priced on the low side and when they saw the demand based on the high quality of the beer they raised it accordingly.

joshclauss, I re-read my posts and realized I was being a dick (again). I blame the Bligh's and Odell Red, sorry for that bro.

coreymcafee and SalukiAlum like this.
  25. joshclauss

I wasn't saying the bottling was the experiment, but the beer concept, which is something a lot of people have slammed, was what I was referring to. That I don't mind. The bottling was the primary issue, and there are people out there who know enough to be able to advise new breweries on best practice to avoid this kind of thing, although I assume it's hard if not impossible to be 100% successful with it.