1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

Replacing Scalloped Racks with Flat Racks in a Wine Cooler

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by mdomask, Jan 28, 2013.

1. mdomask

mdomask Savant (360) Illinois May 27, 2012

I have a Vissani 52-bottle wine cooler that I got a while back to cellar beer. Since I got it, my collection has grown to the point where I'm exceeding capacity. I want to replace the scalloped wire racks with a flat surface of some sort so that I can hold more beer and stand it vertically.

Does anyone have good suggestions on how to do this? I've had people suggest laying plywood or acrylic over the scalloped rack to create the surface, but I'm worried about affecting airflow.

Has anyone had good luck replacing a scalloped rack?

2. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Initiate (0) Virginia Aug 18, 2011

what you could do is take the measeurments and cut a piece of plywood or acrylic to fit. then drill some holes to create more airflow. I was going to do this but my wine fridge is too small for this to be viable

3. Go to your local Home Depot clone and look at wire shelving. It should be easily adaptable for your needs, even if simply by laying it across the existing scallops. Last time I bought this it was available in 12" and 18" depths. Tight mesh would be ideal. Cut it to the length you need with a bolt cutter or hack saw. They may do it for you when you buy it or there may be a bolt cutter there for that purpose so you can do it yourself.

4. Hey @mdomask did you have sucess with this. I am about to do the same thing. Any suggestions ?

5. mdomask

Pretty good success so far, almost two years in.

Make sure you get the measurements precise, and make sure the person doing the cutting (you or the person at the store) follows the measurements exactly. I think there's a slight angle in the unit, so that back is slightly narrower than the front.

The guy cutting my wire shelves didn't do it exact, so I bought some caps for the end that help hold it firm against the walls of the unit. I also got a piece of acrylic that I cut to size to help hold the shelves up. Otherwise, working great.

6. Awesome thanks. Did you find you needed to add holes for ventilation in the acrylic

7. mdomask

No. I just used planks about 3-4" wide under the front of the wire racks to hold them up, so air flow is pretty consistent.

What's nice is that I found I can fit 12oz bottles between the bombers/750s pretty easily. Helps get a bit more in there.