1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Replacing Scalloped Racks with Flat Racks in a Wine Cooler

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by mdomask, Jan 28, 2013.

1. mdomask

mdomask Member

I have a Vissani 52-bottle wine cooler that I got a while back to cellar beer. Since I got it, my collection has grown to the point where I'm exceeding capacity. I want to replace the scalloped wire racks with a flat surface of some sort so that I can hold more beer and stand it vertically.

Does anyone have good suggestions on how to do this? I've had people suggest laying plywood or acrylic over the scalloped rack to create the surface, but I'm worried about affecting airflow.

Has anyone had good luck replacing a scalloped rack?
  2. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Member

what you could do is take the measeurments and cut a piece of plywood or acrylic to fit. then drill some holes to create more airflow. I was going to do this but my wine fridge is too small for this to be viable
  3. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Member

Go to your local Home Depot clone and look at wire shelving. It should be easily adaptable for your needs, even if simply by laying it across the existing scallops. Last time I bought this it was available in 12" and 18" depths. Tight mesh would be ideal. Cut it to the length you need with a bolt cutter or hack saw. They may do it for you when you buy it or there may be a bolt cutter there for that purpose so you can do it yourself.