1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Replicating Cask at home

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by Robert_N, Sep 2, 2012.

1. So obviously you can't beat a nice pint of cask in the pub, but lets say for the sake of it that you wanted to replicate the cask experience from the bottle (as obviously just getting a cask is the easiest way to do it).
    Obviously bottled conditioned is the way to go, how about pouring the beer from a height to knock some of the CO2 out of it, you could fill the glass in a couple of pours, you might need to decant the beer first from the bottle to avoid disturbing the yeast too much.
    I was also considering mixing a just opened beer with some beer that has been left open over night or for a few hours.
    Cheers.

2. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

It's better to pour the beer out carefully, then knock the carbonation out with a spoon or something similar. I do it all the time.

3. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

could you elaborate Ron?

4. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

It's not complicated. You just agitate the beer to make the CO2 come out of solution.

5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Too right. Swirling the beer in the glass vigorously cuts the co2 big time.

6. Seriously, I wouldn't bother.

It's like shagging a Fleshlight. You can try and convince yourself it's the same has having proper sex, but you know deep down it can never be the same.

7. Don't think you can replicate cask beer from a bottle. The bottled version hasn't got all the subtle tastes and nuances and you can't put them back. I gave up homebrewing as all I ever achieved was good bottled beer.
    As Ron said, you can achieve similar carbonation by a careful pour followed.by agitation.I use a fork for this.