Reports of new breweries, rumors of proposed breweries?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by beergurujr, Sep 9, 2012.

1. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (540) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Yes, today at 11 AM. I live about two blocks from it, so my neighborhood is going to be a lot busier, and I'm going to be a lot drunker. At least I can walk to and from and not have to worry about driving. :)

Also, Biercamp in Ann Arbor was just announced a couple days ago:

http://annarbor.com/news/biercamp-l...s-in-ann-arbor/?cmpid=NL_DH_topicbox_headline

Poorly worded to those with a gutter-mind, but sounds pretty cool.

FrankHammer likes this.
  2. fAtHanD

fAtHanD Aficionado (170) Michigan Mar 7, 2007

3. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Light the Lamp is now open in Grayslake. Also I have heard breweries in Waukegan and Gurnee are in planning.

pschul4 likes this.
  4. CMB2012

CMB2012 Savant (265) Illinois Nov 26, 2008

5. beergurujr

beergurujr Savant (360) Illinois Oct 27, 2003

6. caboose9

caboose9 Aficionado (195) Ohio Oct 6, 2006

I'm told that Jackie O's #2, Athens, OH, is brewing (4 or 5 days) but is not open to the public. I think the plan is to wait for the first beer to be ready for canning, allow 2 or 3 days to fine tune the canning operation, and then pick a day to open the sales/tasting room. www.jackios.com

50 West BP, 7668 Wooster Pike, Cincinnati, has been open for about two weeks. www.fiftywestbrew.com

Seventh Sun BP, 1101 N. 4th St., Columbus, is open as a bar but is not brewing due to a back order for a needed brewery item. They hope to receive the item next week and have their beer on at least 1 tap by mid January. (No website?)

7. beace

beace Savant (300) Ohio Jan 18, 2007

The Jackie O's Production brewery is not running yet. End of January. Tap room will open beginning of March.

bpfrush and MarkIntihar like this.
  8. yock

yock Aficionado (205) Indiana Jun 22, 2005

9. Lukafer

Lukafer Savant (370) Michigan Dec 18, 2009

http://indianacitybeer.com/ Another Indy brewery
    Daredevilbrewing.com Close to Indy, I think in Shelbyville
    And a new brewery on Mass Ave. in Indy by the owners of Brugge, excited for that one.

10. SGToliver

SGToliver Savant (325) Washington Nov 22, 2012

Vivant!?!

11. dhannes

dhannes Savant (385) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

12. He was listing the "new" ones in the GR area.

Mitten Brewing is now open, too.

13. YoungLad

YoungLad Aficionado (185) Indiana Apr 27, 2009

Fetch Brewing....in a former bank building in Muskegon, I think. (could be a memory-fail on the town; but I chatted with the brewer and his wife at Greenbush in the summer, when they were doing a research tour to get ideas for their place. Definitely in an old bank building, definitely near Lake Michigan.)

14. caboose9

15. YoungLad

YoungLad Aficionado (185) Indiana Apr 27, 2009

Ding Ding Ding!!!!

Not sure why my Google search didn't hit on that, but well done! That's it - I wish the Fetch's the best of luck on this venture, they are good people.

16. modern

modern Aficionado (220) Ohio May 31, 2012

Dear Tin Man Graphic Designer,

Good god I hope your beer is good because I am not going to wear a shirt of a brewery who's beer I don't like. Hell, I think I would settle for above average. This is the coolest graphic design in all of craft beer. (sorry Half Acre, you have been usurped). Well done. I hope the head brewer is on (or above!) your level.

TinManMarketing likes this.
  17. I'm hearing good things about Daredevil Brewing in Shelbyville, IN in advance of their first release. According to their Facebook page, they're packaging their first batch of their IPA tomorrow. Looking forward to trying it out.

DROOO likes this.
  18. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Advocate (520) Indiana Sep 2, 2007

Gotta be the one to dash those hopes because right now, the beer is the most bland and watery excuse for "craft" that I've ever had. And the head brewmaster thinks that anyone that doesn't like it is merely a "beer snob."

jmarsh123, drevim and Chaney like this.
  19. caboose9

A brewery and brew-on-premise. BRU BP & BOP, 1288 N. High St., Columbus, OH, opened yesterday. I don't know if it's a brewpub or just a pub at this point because they didn't list the beers they serving. If they don't have their own beer on tap then it's not a brewpub.

As you might know, about 2 weeks ago, Seventh Son Brewing, 1101 N. 4th St., Columbus, OH, opened as a pub (cash flow) and hopes to complete their brewing system and evolve into a brewpub by Darwin's birthday.

MadTree Brewing, 5164 Kennedy Ave., Cincinnati, OH, is expected to open about the same time. They have their equipment ready but lack their state permit. I plan to check on this one while I'm in Cinci on Jan. 18 - 20.

Portside Brewing, 1100 W. 9th St., Cleveland, OH, now open as a distillery, might be opening in the same time frame or a week or 2 later.

Yellow Springs Brewing, 305 N. Walnut St., Yellow Springs, OH, seems to be poised to join the above to make it a handful of openings in a week or two!

Cheers & Fresh Beers, Roger

20. Shimkos of ba hifi rye fame is working on his own venture in the south burbs

21. caboose9

"BRU BP & BOP, 1288 N. High St., Columbus, OH, has opened. I don't know if it's a brewpub or just a pub at this point."

Bru is a brewpub and has 5 house beers and lots of guest beers on tap. I think they open at 4 pm today.

22. timmx

timmx Aficionado (115) Illinois Apr 14, 2009

Any idea which south suburb?

birchholz likes this.
  23. beergurujr

beergurujr Savant (360) Illinois Oct 27, 2003

Then there's ISOB Brewing, in Manhattan, IL. A two barrel system, I understand. Just licensed in 2012, has had at least one label approved by the Fed TTB and state of IL. Almost no info on the web. Anybody have more info?

24. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

I was in there last night and it's pretty nice. A friend ordered their house Pale Ale and it was pretty good from what I tried. I couldn't resist the $5 pints of Bodhi so I didn't end up ordering any of their house beer. 31 taps, though!

25. drevim

drevim Aficionado (190) Indiana Oct 12, 2012

Didn't see it mentioned, but Basket Case Brewing in Jasper, IN is open. Carson's brewing is coming to Evansville in the spring. Both have Facebook pages to check out.

26. RodBurg

RodBurg Savant (290) Missouri Aug 19, 2008

We're up and running at Excel. Three styles so far and a few more in the pilot fermenters. Working on a tasting room and finding distribution on the St. Louis side.

beergurujr and emerge077 like this.
  27. WoodburyMN

WoodburyMN Savant (340) Indiana Aug 5, 2012

Function Brewing, out of Bloomington IN.

28. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

Well we are still waiting for our first brewery here in Muskegon. Unruly Brewing has secured a building and I believe they just ordered their custom brew system in the last week per their facebook.

Also another brewery has been announced called Pigeon Brewing Company http://www.pigeonhillbrew.com/home.html No word on a location or anything like that, just that they will be returning to Muskegon in 2013.

FrankHammer likes this.
  29. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

Anyone heard anything recently about Seventh Son in Columbus getting closer to being able to serve their own beer?

30. caboose9

I was at Seventh Son on the evening of Jan. 10 and the bartender said they were still working on the brew kettle and glycol system. When I asked her for more details it quickly became obvious that she had no clue about the details.

Homestead Brewing, 811 Irving Wick Dr. West, Heath, is open at 3 pm Fridays. Call for details at 740-358-0360.

Granville Brewing, 5371 Columbus Rd., Granville, is planning to open on Feb. 5. Check with them for details at [email protected] .

Roger

Envelopes likes this.
  31. jimoo

jimoo Initiate (15) Massachusetts Nov 18, 2014

Went there my last Madison trip. Hands down the best beer I tasted the entire time in Wisconsin.

32. Let's not get crazy here. CW, Funk Factory, and NG have K4 cleanly beaten. K4 definitely has some of the best hoppy beers in WI, though, up there with Black Husky.

33. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

Whoah, blast from the past.

bsu4beer likes this.
  34. jimoo

I'm a big NG fan, but I can't agree with NG or FF having them beaten. I did not try CW. I just said it was the best of my trip in Wisconsin, not the best in Wisconsin. Other than Moon Man, and maybe some of the thumbprint series, the only NG that stand out to me are their fruit beers.

35. Their Thumbprint series is almost infallible (having a quality lambic, oud bruin, and fruited lambic in four-packs is insane), and they're doing some of the best German-style beers in the country. I'm guessing like so many others you don't like German styles much. Also, Scream is better than anything K4 is doing, I think. K4 will almost certainly never make a beer as near-perfect as either VSB or Wild Peach either. Did you manage to have Funk Factory while here? Door Kriek is literally on par with Cantillon Kriek.

Opinions and all, of course. I just think based on quality across the board, K4 is nowhere close to NG, FF, or CW. A few good beers does not a great brewery make. I'd say they have potential, but so did Ale Asylum, and they fell flat on their faces. K4 still has a lot to prove before I'm willing to call them even the third best brewery in WI.

36. jimoo

I can't agree. Scream is good, but not K4 good, not even close for me. I still have some Scream left, its old at this point, but I have so many others I'd rather drink I never get to it (the "problem" with being in VT so frequently). And Old Bruin was very disappointing to me, subpar for them. I have some of those sitting around as well. As was the apple ale and spiced all. All disappointing. . I did have a FF sour when in LaCrosse, it was pretty good. Every beer I tried at K4 was excellent, including their collab with One Barrel. Just MO. I didn't get the NG peach sour as it wasn't available to me, I do love their fruit beers in general. But no, I don't like German or Belgium styles in general. I was really disappointed with AA. But it is amazing how much the Madison beer scene has changed since I moved away.

I'm in no way saying it is the best brewery, or third best, or anything. Wisconsin has changed a ton since I was last there. I just went with a friend for 5 days and we sampled as much as we could. She liked K4 the best too, but when we found a place with pitchers of Zombie Dust she just wanted to stop there for the rest of the trip.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  37. Peoria Brewing Co. Is now open!