1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Restaurants with Craft near Greenspoint/Marriott North (Houston)

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by COBeerBuff, Feb 12, 2013.

1. COBeerBuff

COBeerBuff Savant (345) Kansas Jan 4, 2009

Toss out some recommendations that are nearby with great food and a few craft choices that aren't Shiner Bock. Thought about burgers at the Petrol Station, but I'm thinking we'll need a menu with some greater food options.

Dinner's tonight so time's a'wastin!

2. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

If you're at the Marriott North and see the General Manager, tell him Lutter says hi. He used to be my boss over here in Austin. His name is Jason.

Uh, no thoughts about the area, never been there ;)

3. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Savant (255) Texas Jul 12, 2012

In that area there aren't any, you're in the hood.

If you feel like venturing ~15min or so you can go to:

BJ's pizzeria and brewhouse.
    7637 Farm to Market 1960, Houston, TX 77070

I live in the area so I know it decently. cheers.

If you're willing to drive to the Woodlands there's several bars on the waterway w/ great offerings.

Baker Street Pub & Grill comes to mind, Goose's Acre, etc..

If you go, get a pazookie.

If you're feeling bbq:

Rudy's BBQ
    20806 IH-45 North, Spring, TX 77373

4. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Not much in Greenspoint outside of chains. If you drive to the Woodlands, more chains, though a bit nicer. If you are willing to drive to Petrol Station, there are a few things in the area that are very good.

Cottonwood: Excellent tap list, but also good wine and booze if not everyone is into beer. Very interesting Gastropub type menu.
    Shepard Park Draught House: Beer and wine, with a nice pub grub type menu
    Plonk!: Wine bar with a few good taps, and a very nice menu as well.
    If you want to go a little bit further south into the Heights there is a ton of stuff. CRISP for pizza and Italian, Down House for a great beer list, craft cocktails, and an interesting menu. Zelko's Bistro is probably my favorite restaurant in the Heights. No taps, but mostly Texas breweries in bottles/can awesome wine selection. You probably are not going to want to venture south of the Heights if you have to go all the way back up to Greenspoint.

5. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (325) Texas Jan 22, 2013

Yep, not much out there in terms of craft beer. Travel to Rockwell Tavern on Telge Rd. That should be the closest with a huge craft beer selection. Baker St has Great Divide IPA on draft and Stone Arrogant Bastard bomber. That's about it. Oh yeah, Lucky's on Mueschke and 290 too.

6. tx_beer_man

Bj's isn't that great. Venture out 20 mins or so to Rockwell.

champ103 likes this.
  7. COBeerBuff

Looks like we're staying in at the hotel for food. Was thinking about running by the Spec's on Kuykendahl. Should I take everything valuable out of the car and wear my Kevlar, or is that one far enough south that it's not too bad?

8. tx_beer_man

You'll be alright.

9. COBeerBuff

Thanks.

10. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Dont bother with that Specs. Its basically a liquor store with a few old St. Arnold 6-packs. The Specs at Louetta and 45 is much better. You are in a dead spot for good craft beer pretty much have to drive at least 5 miles in any direction to find good stuff. Good luck!

UHCougar12 likes this.
  11. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Savant (255) Texas Jul 12, 2012

youll be fine but they have bad selection.

12. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Savant (475) Texas Aug 16, 2012

Go to Rockwells and ask for Brian. Great beer on tap and a large selection of bottles. You can also get a growler fill and take bottles to go. Food is pretty good.

13. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (335) Texas Sep 10, 2012

Co sign with everyone else, There is nothing in Greenspoint (I used to live there)

Most of Houston's Craft Beer is inside the 610 Loop (if you're able to make a 15min trip south on one freeway)

14. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Advocate (510) Texas Feb 21, 2011

The specs at Rayford has a decent craft selection. And if you look behind the cooler and spot a broken six pack they'll sell you a single. I bought a single Old Stock for 1.99

15. COBeerBuff

Thanks for all the advice, folks! Marriott food combined with Real Ale Full Moon, Brewhouse Brown, and Rio Blanco, along with Rodeo Clown and SA Icon. Good stuff and close so it worked!

I'll be at the Sugarland FS tomorrow. If you see someone 6'7" in a black polo and black slacks, that's me. Come say hi!

HoustonZ33 and champ103 like this.
  16. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Glad you had a good experience. The Sugarland Saucer is a very good place. Not as extensive as the downtown location, but still a very good selection. Though the few times I have been there, I like the more laid back feel at Sugarland compared to the craziness that can be downtown.

Ford and HoustonZ33 like this.
  17. COBeerBuff

The Sugarland FS is close to relatives so that's why "they" chose that one. And, http://t.co/dJK2RjmK so that's awesome!

canadianghetto and champ103 like this.
  18. Ford

Ford Advocate (510) Texas Sep 8, 2012

If you are in Sugar Land for a bit... also try Guru Burger... almost across the street from FS Sugar Land.. they always have some nice craft beer on tap and you can get growlers to go... and the burgers are GREAT!

champ103 likes this.