Results of the first attempt

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by giorgos, Dec 16, 2012.

1. giorgos

giorgos Zealot (75) Cyprus Sep 12, 2010

hey, i finally brewed my first beer. it was out of an extract so not a difficult case. i brewed the amboirix of breweferm.. the smell is really nice but there is a problem. there is not much gas and when you try it its a bit watery. the smell is storng and nice, the taste is quite ok.. but you cannot make the approprieate foam when you pour it... what i think it went wrong its that i put less sugar in the second time. what do you think?

2. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (810) Texas May 21, 2010

Multiple questions come to mind...

what was the exact recipe?
    how long did it ferment?
    how big was the batch?
    how much priming sugar did you use at bottling?
    how long since you bottled it?

3. uptomonto

uptomonto Disciple (70) Indiana Dec 15, 2012

If by "the second time" you mean at bottling time, it sounds like you may not have put in enough priming sugar? You may have guessed what happened.
    I checked out Ambiorix on the Brewferm website, it looks like a hopped extract kit. Not much to learn about the recipe?
    It would be good to know the answers to what AlCaponeJunior asked.

4. giorgos

i used the specific extract.
    i fermented it for 2 weeks
    the batch was the 20 litres one
    i did not use at bottling but i used sugar when i put the beer for 2 more weeks to the pressure barrell for cooling down. i used about 100 something grams of sugar. i think that was the mistake!

5. What is a pressure barrel?

6. MrOH

MrOH Advocate (500) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Is there much of a homebrewing community on Cyprus? Are there Greek-speaking homebrewing websites? Seeking out help from people who share your first langauge may be easier than having to get over the language and measurement barrier you will find here.

7. uptomonto

uptomonto Disciple (70) Indiana Dec 15, 2012

I'm betting he kegged it (keg = "pressure barrel") - is this true, giorgos? 100 grams converts to 3.5 ounces, which is about right for keg-conditioning using priming sugar.
    Giorgos, did you cool down the beer right away after adding the sugar? The beer may have been too cool to carbonate with added sugar. If you let the beer warm up again it might work?

8. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (845) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009 Verified

I can't say for sure what giorgos meant by 'pressure barrel,' but that's a common term in England for a device that isn't used much (or at all) in the USA. They are intended to store and dispense 'real ales' and IIRC they have an airlock-like thingy that vents extra CO2 away. So you could prime with as much sugar as you want, but it wouldn't matter...the carbonation would be cask-like.

uptomonto likes this.
  9. giorgos

pressure barrel is the plastic one they usually use in local pubs to contain local beers. they have a valve on the top as well. well i let it cool down naturally for a bit. but i generally had the barell and the fermentation vessel in a cool place after the cook