1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Retapped CO2 Tastes Bad

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by batterfierd, Dec 15, 2012.

1. batterfierd

batterfierd Member

Hello everyone, this is my first post, and I'm hoping I can get some help.

I have an issue with my system. Every time I tap a keg the first time, it tastes great. No problems at all. If at any point I untap the keg and retap it, the beer tastes bad. I recently had an issue where I purchased a keg, tapped it, but the new elbow I just put on leaked a bit, so I had to immediately untap it, and fix it. When I retapped it, again, bad beer.

I don't exactly know how to describe the taste. It tastes a bit over-carbonated, a little bitter, and the beer itself has almost no flavor. I've let it sit for 2-3 days, same thing. If it matters, the CO2 tank has plenty of pressure, and the keg itself is at about 8 PSI. There is a second keg hooked up to the same system through a dual regulator and everything is fine.

In the past, when this has happened, I've emptied the keg, hooked up a new one, and the world is right again.

I can't seem to find anything online about this problem. Any suggestions? I don't like wasting all of this beer.
  2. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Member

Your brain is interfering with your taste buds?

Really there's no explanation for your problem. Unless you introduce air (oxygen) to the beer or store the keg in an oven, there's nothing that would alter the beer in the keg quickly.

Easiest solution is don't untap the keg. How often are you untapping kegs to begin with that you say "Every time..." I have been pouring beer in my kegerator for over 5 years now, and I have never untapped a keg mid-keg. If I needed to, due to some hardware issue, I wouldn't be concerned about the beer inside.
  3. batterfierd

batterfierd Member

I won't rule out the brain ... but I asked other people to taste, and same thing. If the keg "leaks" a little bit, meaning that when I untap it, there is some bubbling at the connection between the tap and the keg, would that introduce oxygen?

And I don't untap it unless I have to. I've had a few issues with the system, mostly due to the installation, where I've had to repair it, and that has involved removing the kegs.
  4. batterfierd

batterfierd Member

For further evidence, here you go. The beer on the left was poured from my tap. It's a Widmer Hef, and it is NOT supposed to look like this. The beer on the right is a bottled beer, just for illustration. What is going on here?!!

[​IMG]
  5. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Member

what the hell is that? Are you using nitrogen? You have something else going on and it is not a result of simply untapping and retapping a keg. That is not even a glass of foam. It looks like a glass of beer mixed with a glass of milk. This beer poured fine prior to untapping?
  6. stupac2

stupac2 Member

It could be really, really fine foam. OP, does it ever settle out into beer or does it stay like that? Regardless, if I were you I'd completely disassemble the system, clean it and reassemble.
  7. loony4lambic

loony4lambic Member

Very strange
  8. loony4lambic

loony4lambic Member

My only explanation for the glass on the left is a shit ton of yeast from the bottom of the keg. Other then that, NO idea
  9. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Member

If this is a chronic problem, I'd suggest you stick with bottled beers. There's something going on here that defies conventional solutions.