Dismiss Notice
Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Learn more about beer. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for as low as 68% off the single issue price.

Subscribe now →

return of Barons?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by heygeebee, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Folks,

Seen the Barons Wattle both in Liquorland (where I was sceptical about how long a pallet had been languishing in the stock room) then yesterday in Danno's. I then suspected maybe a resurrection.

Not too much on the web yet - does anyone know anything?? - a subject close to a few of us here, I know......
  2. Um, the guy owning the brands has had some recent work at ID in Melbourne I believe. Thats all i know ...
  3. Darwin553

Darwin553 Savant (250) Australia Jan 5, 2009

Welcome news. Enjoyed their pale ale when it was consistently under 40 a carton (probably why they had so much financial difficulties)
  4. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (585) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Wattle ESB was good. Their others were doable too when they were $20 for 2 six packs. Hard to beat that.
  5. yep - had the Wattle and it tasted fresh and not too bad at all.... probably not really a hot weather beer but there you go....
  6. USed to be about 6% ... still the same?
  7. i think it's down to 5.2% from memory - tho I don't still have the bottle....
  8. danieelol

I remember it used to be 5.something%
  9. Stumbled across a bottle of the Wattle at a local BWS whilst picking up some lollie water for the wife so it has made it to WA
  10. barls

barls Aficionado (185) Australia Nov 15, 2006

wonder whos making it now that A.I.B is dead?
  11. i think - can't be sure but recall that greatsouthernbrewing (or variant thereof) was on the bottle.

begs the question of course of how to classify on here for reviews? it has 150 odd reviews in the 'old' format but with a changed ABV would it not be more correct to re-add as a new beer? new owning brewery?

Barons is 'shut' on the site.
  12. AIB is magically transformed as Brewpak ... and I think they are making it at Independent ...
  13. barls

i know i was there. they still arent doing barons though.
  14. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

What the hell happened to Barons?

I picked up a six pack of Black Wattle Superior (BBE 10/26/2008) last night. Seems to have aged okay. Tons of coffee, chocolate, caramel, and malt on the palate. Reminded me more of a German altbier or sticke than anything else.
  15. Lukie

Lukie Savant (460) Australia Jun 16, 2007

You bought a five year old six pack of beer?
  16. ao125

17. Lukie

18. Lukie

And more so then asking why you bought it, why the hell was a shop selling a six year old six pack of beer!
  19. ao125

Why not? It's neither an IPA nor a pale ale. It's not like it's automatically going to be undrinkable if it's more than a week old. In fact, other than having some floating yeast chunks in it, it was quite drinkable. Fun little gamble: I either get to try a rare treat from a brewery that no longer exists - or - I just bought an undrinkable six pack of something that tastes like fermented cat urine. Granted, I usually only let beers age that are over 10% ABV, but it was definitely worth it.

I work in a place where the residents are quite scared of anything other than Bud/Miller/Coor's products, and some beer will sit longer than others. Most recently, I found a bottle of Kasteel Rouge from 2010 that was really quite good.

That said, what the hell happened to Baron's brewery? We used to get the wattleseed beer in stores here from time to time and then it suddenly went away.
  20. barls

they went under and took aib with them.
    saying that they sold the label and i believe its being made down in melbourne somewhere.
  21. danieelol

yer I had the new version a month or so ago. Was alright.
  22. spicelab

spicelab Savant (450) Australia Nov 6, 2009

This is easily the most entertaining post on the Australian Forum for quite some time.
    Lukie likes this.
  23. ao125

I aim to please ;)

I think I've probably had maybe 4 or 5 Aussie beers in my life, and really none since the last time I was down there.
  24. Barons did not take AIB down, other mitigating circumstances there which are totally separate. I think the article on The Shout best illustrate what these guys did to their investors.
  25. sinkas

sinkas Savant (255) Australia Jul 9, 2008

hey ao125, thanks for sharing, weird situation, but interesting to hear how it was.
    I bought a 8 year old bottle of srilankan stout in a bottlo in fremantle a few years ago, was bloody good!
  26. If that was Sinha Stout it would handle a few years easily. It's pretty good fresh as well..
  27. ao125

Have any of you ever successfully done trans-Pacific beer trades? I remember the last time I was in Australia (Christmas 2006) and the Aussie customs agents practically brought some woman to tears just because she had a jar of baby food hand for her screaming infant. If it is possible, I wouldn't mind finding someone to trade with. Would be slightly easier than $4k and 18 hours of travel just to make it to WA.
  28. Lukie

A few of us have, but the issue is cost. If you are aiming for $4$ you will need to be covering a $200+ shipping fee.
  29. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (745) Australia Jul 14, 2008

As Lukie notes, cost is a pretty serious issue. The other problem is Customs on the US end. I know people who have shipped boxes twice and had them returned by US Customs because they were alcohol.