1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Revolution Brewing Straight Jacket Release

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by JmH, Dec 4, 2012.

1. JmH

JmH Aficionado (135) Illinois Jun 6, 2012

hot off the presses:

http://revbrew.com/whats-new/event-detail/straight-jacket-release

STRAIGHT JACKET RELEASE

Straight Jacket, our barrel aged Institutionalized barleywine, is the next up in our Deep Woods Series to get the bottle treatment in 22's and it will be on sale only direct to customers at our Kedzie Ave. brewery. Although it's aged for six months in Woodford Reserve barrels, this brew is surprisingly smooth and sells for $15 a bottle. Straight Jacket sales will begin to our dedicated Mug Club members at 2pm, with sales to the general public from 3pm on.
  2. 1noa

1noa Aficionado (235) Illinois Mar 24, 2011

Can't wait, I'm so thirsty!
  3. homebrew311

homebrew311 Advocate (540) Illinois May 19, 2008

Dammit I have to work... hopefully this will last like Very Mad Cow did! Had this at FOBAB, very tasty.
  4. aefbjo

aefbjo Savant (275) Bahamas Jun 8, 2005

We think it'll be tapped that day too, probably, right?
  5. Same here.
    "Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit huffing glue."
    1noa likes this.
  6. harrylee773

harrylee773 Savant (345) Illinois Aug 8, 2010

I wonder there's any Mad Cow still left? Wouldn't mind picking up both...
  7. Most likely. When I was at the brewery last Saturday afternoon, as often as folks were buying bottles, they were just coming out with more cases from the back. That they're only open 4 days/week has really put the brakes on how quickly bottles sell, I think.
  8. fh301

fh301 Aficionado (100) Illinois Sep 18, 2011

My local shop in the north burbs claims he's getting Very Mad Cow this week, so it may be in stores soon.
  9. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (545) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

which shop is that if you don't mind, thanks in advance
  10. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

probably will do this one like the very mad cow release - walk in, grab a taster at the bar, and if i like it, walk out with bottles. rev did a great job on the very mad cow release and i'm hoping they keep it up with this one.
    ravot likes this.
  11. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

I really only like barley wines that have been barrel aged (at least I haven't had a non BA one I loved). Looking forward to trying this as well.
  12. I just talked with the folks over there today since i was wanting some more... they said "that theres plenty left" of very mad cow at both the tap room and the brewpub
  13. Looking forward to this event!
  14. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Oh yes.
    ravot likes this.
  15. GraniteSkunk

GraniteSkunk Savant (375) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

Damn it, why can't this be on the 22nd? If someone happens to get an extra bottle and wants to get rid of one, let me know.
  16. tinypyramids

confirmed with the rev folks - it's a four bottle limit, not that i had planned on grabbing more than two.
  17. ravot

ravot Savant (435) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

if the quantity of very mad cow matches straight jacket. you'll be fine finding it a little extra aged on the 22nd.
  18. tinypyramids

surprised there's not more chatter about this. just got home from the brewery. had a taster pour of straight jacket and wound up with four bottles - two for me, two for a friend who couldn't make it. i didn't like very mad cow enough to buy bottles for myself, but straight jacket is really delicious. it's not a king henry killer or anything, but it's a quality BA barleywine that was worth my beer dollar. also, i walked right in and there was zero line for bottles (slight queue for the taps though).

also, had i known there was free food (saw some smoked pigs heads), i probably wouldn't have stopped for tacos on my walk over. but that's pretty much the definition of 'first world problems'. man, does rev ever know how to put on a release.

edit: also, the taproom now has a shuffleboard table. maybe i don't get out enough, but i've never seen one in the city.
  19. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Savant (450) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

Glad to hear no line, this Christmas madness shopping needs to end now with a beer before I snap
  20. Why can't every release be like this?

And totally agreed on Straightjacket. Very well done.
    Gonzoillini likes this.
  21. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (270) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

I'm here now and this is a very well done release. Like stated above free buffett, which was an excellent surprise. Also, jammin Pantera, Slayer, White Zombie and the like along with an outstanding tap list (standout beers for me: Straight Jacket, Red Skull and E. Norma Gene). No lines for the bottle sales and very minimal wait to get a pour. Big cheers to Rev for another outstanding release.
  22. I was just there also, and had to sample Straight Jacket (plus got 2 bottles) E. Norma Gene, and Red Skull. Really enjoyed them all. Only bad part was I had to go solo since my buddy couldn't make it.
  23. aclara

aclara Aficionado (135) Illinois Mar 16, 2011

Highlight of my day.....smoked pig's head paired with red skull...finishing with straightjacket with a piece of bluebery cheesecake.....thanks Revolution
  24. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

You had me at shuffleboard!
  25. cpz28

cpz28 Aficionado (195) Indiana Dec 31, 2007

Awesome release. I loved how it was tame, quiet, easy to navigate and had plenty of breathing room. Free buffet was a nice touch and really made me feel appreciated. I'll take this over the normal chaos and crowds of more hyped releases any day. Good job, Rev.
    raymo55 likes this.
  26. incubuscience

incubuscience Savant (415) Illinois Jul 26, 2012

Weegee's has shuffleboard.
    robbiemoy13 likes this.
  27. incubuscience

incubuscience Savant (415) Illinois Jul 26, 2012

-And a pretty good beer list.
  28. 0zzzie19

0zzzie19 Aficionado (130) Illinois Dec 20, 2008

Boundary has a shuffleboard table...don't judge, I live across the street.

How much is a bottle of straight jacket? I've seen VMC on shelves for $19... Is it pouring at the taproom? I'd like to give it a taste before I invest in a bottle. E Norma gene isn't bottled, right?
  29. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (400) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

There's a handful of bars with em in Chicago but none are that new, handmade or that beautiful. The guy that does all the rev woodwork at the pub and taproom did it. Also this might be the longest in Chicago too for those with shuffleboard envy.
  30. tinypyramids

$15 bomber, $9 draft snifter, $5 draft taster (5oz).
  31. ravot

solid beer. solid release. no lines. rev does it again.
    Etan likes this.
  32. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (400) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

And some very mad cow is still around if anyone needs one.
  33. Is the taproom open today by any chance, or do we really have to wait until Wednesday if we didn't stop by yesterday?
  34. The brewpub was selling bottles of Very Mad Cow, but not for a few weeks after the brewery release -- but, you never know, they might have bottles of Straight Jacket today.

But otherwise, you're going to have to wait until Wednesday.
  35. funhog

funhog Savant (420) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

Per Sunday AM 10 o'clock phone call, You'll have to wait until Wednesday:(
  36. Thanks. That was my plan b, cause you can't go wrong stopping there for food, but the tap list at kedzie sounded pretty solid.
  37. ravot

did i miss something? why until wednesday? even so, there were barely people there. there WILL be enough on wednesday.
  38. Samjuan12

Samjuan12 Aficionado (235) Illinois Jun 17, 2012

Taproom isn't open sunday thru tuesday....
  39. mpwdoyle

mpwdoyle Aficionado (155) Illinois Apr 29, 2011

*picard facepalm*
  40. ravot

well that makes sense. back to bed.