1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Revolution Brewing Straight Jacket Release

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by JmH, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

The shuffleboard is f'n beautiful and still has the rich wood scent to it. I did a couple test throws, and boy is it slick. Looking forward to playing a few matches on it
    Gonzoillini likes this.
  2. mpwdoyle

mpwdoyle Aficionado (155) Illinois Apr 29, 2011

On tap at the brewpub right now. $5 for a 5 oz pour, $9 for 10 oz (or maybe 12). Absolutely delicious.
  3. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

How does this compare with other BA Barleywines?
  4. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

From what I recall from last year's, a sweeter style barleywine, not hoppy, very well balanced. Not overly boozy but still a sipper. Barrel really improves the base beer (which is good on its own). As I've mentioned plenty before, one of my favorite Rev BA beers.
    ravot likes this.
  5. Mjmoser

Hopefully not sweet like BANE?
  6. Jaycase

Jaycase Advocate (725) Illinois Jan 13, 2007

[​IMG]
    Hugonaut13, Vav, MarkIntihar and 4 others like this.
  7. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

right on the money.

btw. on the way in to rev, during the rain, i saw a dude walking outside with a rev box, holding it from the handles. i told my girl i usually see a pic on beeradvocate of someone's box crashing to the ground for improper holding (+1 in the rain). 20 seconds later as i'm walking in the door showing my ID at the entrance, a fellow enthusiast is walking out happily with a rev box filled with goodies annnnd comes crashing down where at least 2 bottles broke. all i could do was look at my girl and said i told yah so. an employee was there to help out with this disaster. we kept walking. alright BA's, who was it? fess up.
    Nachos4two likes this.
  8. I like it a lot. Had it on tap at the brewpub: very smooth, dark fruit-forward, tastes like it's 3-4 points in abv less than stated.

Haven't picked up bottles yet. Apparently I'm too lazy to walk two blocks.
  9. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

I think the Straight Jacket I tried from the tap at the release was one of the best BA barleywines I've encountered, seriously. Up there along with Great, MOAS, King Henry, etc.
    redsand22, mattizmyname and dvelcich like this.
  10. Mjmoser

Sounds good, guess I will make a visit on my day off Friday. Thanks guys.
  11. mbockstruck30

Obviously not a BA member. We're much smarter than that, am I right, guys?

[says the guy that lost a bottle of Biggs Stache at DLD because he just had to have one more bottle to share while waiting in line] :(
  12. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

from what i hear about BS, you did yourself a favour.
    Kyleisdesign and Tnudish like this.
  13. mbockstruck30

Yeah, that seems to be the case. However, I would still like to judge that for myself. As I did with Cuvee de Viking. Damn, did I waste a lot of money at the XV party...
  14. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I'll give you a Biggs''Stache. Seriously. Take this crap off my hands.
  15. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Free Tibet? I'll take it! Hello, China? I think I have something you want, but it'll cost you. That's right... All the tea...
  16. saw very mad cow at whole foods river north not long ago...
  17. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Saw Very Mad Cow on the shelf at Jewel-Osco on Ashland two days ago. Wow.
  18. incubuscience

incubuscience Savant (415) Illinois Jul 26, 2012

was at the brewpub two days ago. they had just gotten the Straightjacket bombers in ($15 apiece/limit 4) and still had some Very Mad Cow bombers (same $) for sale, too.
  19. ravot

and i hope the rest of their releases are this way. this is what happens when people don't rush a release. good problem to have.
  20. mbockstruck30

This is fantastic news! I asked the brewpub last week if they would be getting any this week and they were not sure. I've been waiting for today to drive my ass up to Kedzie.
  21. Samjuan12

Samjuan12 Aficionado (235) Illinois Jun 17, 2012

Stopped by the brewery tonight and got some straight jacket and VMC and the place was dead except for a bunch of brewers listening to some german guys talk about hops. (the new off color brewing guys were there as well) It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.
    aefbjo likes this.
  22. aefbjo

aefbjo Savant (275) Bahamas Jun 8, 2005

Cool to see that there is camaraderie between the new breweries in town.
  23. SWChi

SWChi Savant (310) Illinois Oct 25, 2012

Any chance any bottles will still be there next weekend? We'll be down there on the 29th...thanks
  24. harrylee773

harrylee773 Savant (355) Illinois Aug 8, 2010

I went in yesterday a little after they opened and when I asked about the remaining quantity the response I got was 'fuckton', so I'd say that the odds are pretty good. They even had some VMC left as well.
    BrownAleMale and SWChi like this.
  25. ravot

i like the metrics they use. taproom has a chalkboard with the draft list, prices, abv %. straight jacket was 13, another was 20%. e.normagene was 'a lot'
  26. mattizmyname

mattizmyname Aficionado (150) Aug 2, 2012

Went into Rev for a taste of this to decide if I wanted to pick up a few bottles. Very pleasantly surprised, this beer is definitely in the same league as MoAS, Abacus/Sucaba. Much more in line with what I think most people wanted bolt cutter to be.
  27. mbockstruck30

Laffler is a regular at Rev.
  28. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (170) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

So, these are available for purchase at the pub on Milwaukee? Saw someone mention they got them at the pub and wanted to make sure they meant Milwaukee location and not the brewery/taproom.
  29. incubuscience

incubuscience Savant (415) Illinois Jul 26, 2012

Yep, I got 'em at the Pub on Milwaukee a couple days ago.
    Chi81 and zieglemt like this.
  30. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (170) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

Nice, thx
  31. SWChi

SWChi Savant (310) Illinois Oct 25, 2012

Thanks for the info!
  32. Hmm one of the liquor stores that I shop has Straight Jacket....thought it was only being sold there no?
  33. Mjmoser

VMC was put into distro too. Cheaper at the pub/brewery....
  34. Chi81

Chi81 Zealot (90) Illinois Dec 22, 2010

Still available as of late Thursday evening. I assume that the availability there will mirror the availability at the brewery.