1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Revolution Brewing / Three Floyds Association

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Dan_Bowman, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

On Friday night, I was buying a bomber of Three Floyds Rye da Tiger da Tiger and a bomber of Revolution Brewing TV Party at m local bottle shop. The worker at the shop mentioned that Revolution Brewing is a sister company of Three Floyds. Can anyone here confirm or deny this?

My initial thought was... false. Both breweries make some great beers and are out of the same area (Chicago and Munster, IN).
  2. KevinMc79

KevinMc79 Aficionado (240) Illinois Oct 29, 2008

According to the Revolution website, doesn't seem like it.

HISTORY

Managing partner Josh Deth was a novice homebrewer when he caught a lucky break. In the summer of 1995, he landed a job cleaning kegs at the now-defunct Golden Prairie Brewing. Golden Prairie epitomized the shoestring startup brewery operation of the nascent era of craft beer. What it lacked in size (three barrel brewhouse) it made up for with the heart and soul of its owner, Ted Furman. As a beginner, Josh dutifully cleaned kegs and scrubbed tanks holding such innovative beers as Maple Stout, Honey Ginger and Buckwheat Ale, all perhaps just a bit ahead of their time.
    A few years later, Josh dreamt up the idea for Revolution while working at Goose Island as a cellarman and brew pub brewer. After the first few tries at opening a brewery didn't work out, Josh opened Handlebar in 2003 with his wife Krista and a few friends. Always one to do more, he also worked as Executive Director of Logan Square Chamber of Commerce. He worked to promote local businesses and manage the Logan Square Farmers Market. While working at the Chamber, he found a cool, old building on Milwaukee Avenue with a nice tin ceiling. The brewery idea bubbled up again.
    Revolution Brewing opened up in February 2010 after three years of raising funds, dealing with the zoning department, and construction. We added our 2nd floor Brewers' Lounge in July 2011. We are now opening a new production brewery and tap room in 2012.
  3. DrWily

DrWily Aficionado (100) Illinois Nov 25, 2012

This is the first i've heard of this.
  4. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

I read this as well. My initial thought was false but I have seen several local brewers move on from one local brewery and move to another or start their own.
  5. It's comments like those (from the shop person) that makes me doubt any comment that starts, "I heard from my shop guy that X beer is coming..."

The head brewer for Revolution, Jim Cibak, once worked for Three Floyds, if I'm not mistaken, but I couldn't tell you in what capacity or for how long. Prior to Revolution, Cibak came from Firestone Walker, and I think he had been there for quite some time (googling indicates Cibak left FFF for FW in summer '06). There have been two collaboration beers between the two, Sodom and Gomorrah (both excellent) but I think that's about it as far as explicit links between the two breweries.

As far as I know, the companies are wholly separate from one another.
  6. Definitely NOT a sister company.
  7. TysonA

TysonA Savant (310) Washington Dec 12, 2010

Agree definitely not a sister company. I met Donn ( sales mgr) from Revolution and most of the group comes from Goose Island background.