1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rhizing Bines Question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RBassSFHOPit2ME, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Can anyone justify the $13.99 price tag for a 8% DIPA at Bevmo, other than the fact that it's from two well respected breweries?

Can I please suggest no answers that relate to disposeable incomes. I'd pull the trigger, but without good reason, I just won't on principle.

Thoughts? Discuss.

KevSal likes this.
  2. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Tickers gonna tick...

3. Not sure what your looking to hear...
    I paid 15$ for the beer and it was'nt worth it.
    It was unique and well made but just didn't come together well in my opinion.

cnbrown313 and TheBrewo like this.
  4. This.

I like DFH, so I tried it. Wasn't for me. Would have bought something else.

5. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

I paid 11.99 to try it because to breweries that know hops ought to be great. I was severely underwhelmed. I would pass for sure and maybe get it if its ever on tap somewhere if you wanna try it that bad.

6. Paid $2 for a 4oz sample on tap. I won that game.

Not a bad beer, but I certainly wouldn't pay full price for a bottle.

7. I regret the 14.99 I spent on it.

TwelveOunces likes this.
  8. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Dont do it.

9. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

got a free tasting. my opinion = "meh" wouldn't buy it. then again, there are a lot of IPA's I'd say likewise.

10. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

No, but anytime there's a collaboration, especially one between 2 breweries with pedigrees like SN and DFH, you're gonna pay a premium over a standard bomber. I paid $16 for it and after drinking it I can tell you I wouldn't pay $5 for it

11. I feel like with all the west coast hop forward IPAs it was set up for disappointment, and it did indeed. I do take it for what it is, but in my market (S.FL) with Sucks being introduced ~same time, it's just not in the same ball park for a DIPA. I respect DFH, as they push the envelope every time they release a beer it seems like...but this one didn't stack up for me.

12. ffenski

ffenski Aficionado (205) Ohio Apr 24, 2008

I haven't had this yet, but I will. Regardless of price and reviews. I have had hundreds of beers with similar flavors, and I like to try different flavors. There are beers I have refused to buy. There are beers I have tried that I thought might be OK but have been disgusting. Expand your horizons. The fact that it comes from 2 respected breweries makes it more enticing.

dan027 likes this.
  13. dan027

dan027 Savant (330) Pennsylvania Mar 28, 2011

If money isn't much of an issue just do it. I was super excited because I love both brewers and it was not even close to what I was expecting but I definitely don't regret buying it, how else could I have known? Who knows, you might love it. And out of curiosity, what is the principle? 8% is too low of an ABV for that price?

powpig2002 likes this.
  14. Jimmys

Jimmys Savant (450) Pennsylvania Jan 5, 2009

yeah a bit on the pricey side, however on par for what DFH charges for most of their big bottle beers. I thought it was pretty tasty, but I did have a super fresh bottle.

15. Demer

Demer Aficionado (225) New Jersey Dec 13, 2010

I wasn't into it. Like mentioned above it was very underwhelming and meh.

16. No, and this is why I will not buy it. This beer should be around $10.

17. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (415) New York Sep 1, 2004

uh, you are the demand answer to the supply question.

don't buy it. then don't sweat it.
    plenty of great beer out there. your money is hard earned, spend it wisley and sleep well.

Cheers.

18. I love how everyone's like 'this dfh beer is a disappointment' & 'how does dogfish justify this pice tag?'

No mention of Sierra Nevada? Both breweries are responsible, yet what a shock, more hip dfh hate.

For th record, two of my fave breweries

dan027, ShanePB, Hanzo and 1 other person like this.
  19. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

This particular collaboration went thru Dogfish Heads wholesale network. The bottle and label design are reminiscent of Dogfish Head style so it is easy to lose sight of Sierra Nevadas role in creating this brew.

20. hornsup

hornsup Savant (335) Virginia Nov 29, 2012

I'm more disappointed in Sierra Nevada than I am DFH. There are 6-7 SN beers I'd drink year round and be happy. DFH makes good beer, they're just hit and miss. I had Rhizing Bines on tap at a cheap, cheap pub for $7 a pint and I regret it. It was not good at all for two respected brewers...borderline embarrassing

21. Very...very TRUE.

22. I was excited to try it and was very disappointed with it. Not really sure what they were going for on this one. It had a strange, non-hoppy flavor to it. I dig most of DFH's out-there brews, but not this one. I regret it not being better, but can't say I regret trying it.

23. It's tasty but it ain't worth no $15

24. Cbusssted

Cbusssted Aficionado (155) Ohio Jul 3, 2012

What makes you think those two breweries know hops? Its not like its a collaboration between Alpine and Kern River. I mean have you ever drank 90 Min?

YamBag likes this.
  25. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

No, but I have had celebration. If that's hop ignorance I would hate to see hop genius.

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  26. Cbusssted

Cbusssted Aficionado (155) Ohio Jul 3, 2012

Celebration is ok, I suppose. I guess its awesome when you compare it to any DFH hoppy beer.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  27. leprakhan

leprakhan Savant (355) California Dec 28, 2009

Whats the big idea sourcing the hops from the East Coast!? Everybody knows the best American hops come from the great northwest. The red winter wheat might have flawwed it some too. I've had that grain in a couple different beverages n so far only Makers Mark has been able to make it work. That being said, just re-release Life n Limb 2!

28. beerhan

beerhan Savant (400) Ohio Apr 28, 2010

Considering this beer is weaker than most of the year round beers from both breweries yet costs more than a 4/6 pack of any of them I cannot justify the price. I gave it a shot and was incredibly underwhelmed by it. Sure it is different but different does not equal taste. I would honestly like a good explanation for the cost of this beer though because I cannot understand the price tag especially considering the last life and limb was delicious yet two thirds the cost.

29. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

Maybe their pedigree speaks to their knowledge of hops. Both the breweries you cite are like little brothers to the breweries you question.

dan027 and beerme411 like this.
  30. YogiBeer

....wat?

amp138, cnbrown313 and beerme411 like this.
  31. I have seen it for $21. Ugh. IMO, the prices do not really surprise me. Breweries are going to have costs to cover and I suspect collaborations and special/smaller runs are going to increase unit costs. To justify these experiments, selling prices are going to be higher. If we are going to see these "innovative" brews, I would expect them to cost more( Good or.....not so good). If brewers can't make money doing it, they won't do it and damn the consumer

32. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (630) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

I suppose I am happy that I have been unsuccessful in finding this beer in my area. As a DFH and SN fan, one would have thought it would have been a trmendous success therefore justifying the price. Really dissappointing that it does not capture what they are both know for; great, hoppy beers. Oh well, such as life. Better luck on their next venture.

33. YogiBeer

The cost to the shop charging 21$ is like.. ten bucks.

34. This store's markup strategy is insulting. I have seen RB mostly at $13.

35. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (845) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Same here.

CurtFromHershey likes this.
  36. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Reading this thread I was expecting the beer to be curb stomped in the ratings, sitting at an 83 right now. I try anything DFH puts out, and when you add in another brewery I love in Sierra Nevada...I just have to try it to form my own opinion.

It's going to suck paying the normal $13 for their bottles though, I can admit that.

dan027 likes this.
  37. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

Yep, you are the big winner on this one! Well played. Wish I had done the same.

CurtFromHershey likes this.
  38. A buddy picked a bottle up for me, I haven't had it yet. I saw the $14.99 price tag on it and gave him this dumbfounded look before thanking him. Dang that's an expensive IPA.

39. watsonmd

watsonmd Savant (365) Georgia May 16, 2009

Have this waiting in the fridge, but I was also let down by Noble Rot. Have to try it, but DFH not winning me over lately. But I must admit, Bitches Brew, is working hard to keep me in the DFH arena....

cnbrown313 and beerme411 like this.
  40. DFH is a hop killer with the yeast they use and residual malt profile.