1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rhode Islanders: How can we improve the beer scene in our state?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Providence, Feb 25, 2013.

1. While I liked the IPA more than you, I do agree that it's the last of their three beers that I would order. I would imagine that a lot of the big name IPA's in the game today had some recipe tweaks shortly after they hit the market. Once revenue starts coming in you can probably do more interesting things like order fresher hops or improve the production process (??? just guessing).
    Horbar likes this.
  2. I hear ya. I like Trinity IPA- a lot - but I know it's not everyone's cup o' tea. I also enjoy their black IPA.

I want 12pks of Grey Sail's flagship ale. mmm mmm good.

But yeah, I would love for Nikki's or Bottles or whatever to (legally) be able to have growler fill stations. If I could get a fresh growler of Grey Sail or others I'd be jazzed.
    Horbar and Providence like this.
  3. Pegli

Pegli Savant (305) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

So the wife and I stepped out on the town last night and I must say things aren't so bad. We started at Trinity, hit up 2-for-1 tickets for the P-Bruins, and then finished things off at Julians for dinner. First off, you can't beat $6 pints of Trinity Russian Stout @ 9.7% ABV. Proper pregame warm-up. I get a slight off-putting flavor to all of Trinity's beers (or glasses or tap lines or whatever) but they sure beat the $9 Guinness at the Dunk. The thing that always gets me about Providence is that it's like a ghost town most of the time...I know it was a Sunday in the winter, etc. but it just never has the hustle and the bustle of a Philly or even a Portland, ME.
  4. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (450) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Is Cigar City actually distributed to VT or just sold by Hill Farmstead since they're all friends? I don't know the rules on this sort of thing, but I'm sure there are ways to circumvent traditional distributors. I mean, bars drive up to VT to get kegs of HF and cases of Heady Topper to sell.

But to your point, RI should be a beer mecca. I mean, the state should really embrace any kind of business it can get. And there is so much empty warehouse space in Northern RI that could be converted to breweries. Christ, there are breweries in Everett and Chelsea, MA. Pawtucket or East Providence should be brewery row.
    FrankLloydMike and Providence like this.
  5. EnronCFO

Apologize for the amateur question, but is Trinity IPA in bottles different than the IPA at Trinity Brewhouse? When fresh, Trinity IPA in the bottle is one of the best English IPAs going. But I've never really enjoyed the beers at the brewpub.
  6. You must not have tried their Imperial Red then.
  7. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (670) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

Hey Rob - saw CC at the Co-Op in Montpelier. Also forgot to mention that they had Jester King on the shelves as well.
  8. EnronCFO

Geez, that is nuts. Hope you enjoyed the bday weekend!
  9. It's the same beer but it's brewed at Cottrell instead of at the brewhouse.
  10. Up here in northern RI it is a virtual beer wasteland. Trips to julios and wegmans are an option.
    Bars and liquor stores are fair to poor on their beer options. You have to take that long long hike to the providence area for any good options.
    Providence likes this.
  11. where in northern ri are you? i can go to yankee or gasparros in attleboro in about 3 minutes and get 90% of whats distributed in that area of MA and a bunch of stuff we cant get in RI, and dohertys might not be a beer mecca but its an awesome bar right in pawtucket which is the definition of northern RI, unless youre out in like burriville or glocester any of those are way closer than providence
  12. Yeah i'm about 3 miles from the uxbridge douglas line.
    I'm in providence a lot and quonset point area too, but the options up here are slim unles you want to travel.
    I guess thats to be expected in burrillville if you live here you can expect to put on the beer miles.
  13. If youre in quonset a lot, check out the liquor store right next to seven moons, I havent been there since i worked down there but when i did a great selection and some of the best prices I had found for a lot of stuff.
  14. yes kingstown liquors, they have a prettystrong inventory. I usually check them out on sat afternoons, not the best but definetly above average.
  15. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

Trinity Red Rum is pretty awesome. I had a nice tripel at the Union Station a couple months ago too. I really dig Grey Sail though. They make some great beers and it's a great place to visit. $5 for a pint glass that they pretty much fill as much as you ask and it's obvious they love what they do.
    fineout likes this.
  16. Hokies

Hokies Savant (265) Rhode Island Dec 17, 2007

I think some people need to give Newport Storm a second look there India Point is pretty good, the Irish Red is solid and Vlad is a really good RIS.
  17. Northeast Rhode Island is a great place to get beer. Aside Yankee and Gasbarros right over the line, you can quickly get to Nikkis, Eno, Bottles, etc... In addition, Providence has a decent selection of places with nice beer lists. I certainly will not complain about my access to beer. I'd say we're top 10 in the nation in terms of access to beers.

On a side note, I really like Foolproof Barstool. I have been looking for a really good session beer and I think I found it. I'm not crazy about their IPA or Porter, but I will be regularly buying Barstool.
  18. The barstool is the only offering from foolproof i've yet to try.
    The ipa and porter are average but for that pricepoint you can do a lot better in my opinion.
  19. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (670) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

Immensely - worked out great :)