1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

RIP: Jan Girardin (Brouwerij Girardin) has passed away

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Dennoman, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (485) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Jan Girardin, of the family brewery Girardin (mostly known for their geuze, faro and kriek), passed away last Friday at the age of 57. The funeral ceremony will be held on Saturday August 18th, in case anyone here knew him and want to pay their last respects.

A great loss to the Belgian brewing world. R.I.P.
  2. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (945) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

Chuck Cook posted on Facebook that Jan was brewmaster Paul Giardin's brother and did most of the deliveries for the brewery, and this link.
  3. I saw this on Facebook. Bummer.
  4. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

One of my first gueuze's that i'd ever had. Really sad to see this happen to such a great brewer.
  5. Sad news, the black label was the first gueuze I ever had.
  6. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (520) California Sep 25, 2009

My condolences to family & friends. RIP. All I can add is try not to mourn that a life is over, but celebrate that it happened.
    YogiBeer and tjensen3618 like this.
  7. danybrew

danybrew Aficionado (210) Belgium Feb 8, 2010

very sorry .......
  8. Whistleton

Whistleton Initiate (15) Aug 17, 2012

I know the family very well. I'm sure things will go on like before because it wasn't Jan Girardin but his brother Paul who was in charge of the whole production since 1993. Jan served the clients and did the deliveries to pubs, restaurants and drank services. There might follow some changes in the brewery according to deliveries, but the beer production stays in hands of the current brewer, Paul.
  9. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

Wow that is sad news. My thoughts to the family.