1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

RIP walt powell!

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by BgThang, Jun 5, 2013.

1. BgThang

BgThang Savant (435) Texas Dec 23, 2007

Not sure the details, this is truly a loss to the craft beer scene. His cousin is posting on his facebook.
  2. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Wait what? Seriously? Or just messing around.
  3. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

WTF!?!? just checked and you are right... never met him but i hope this is a fucking joke.
  4. crusian

Looks like a healthy thread about it on rb with a tiny bit more info. Damn.
  5. BgThang

6. johnsaulrubio

johnsaulrubio Savant (265) Texas Dec 2, 2006

Looks like it's true. Fuck.
    BgThang likes this.
  7. blatherbeard

got a pending F request to kristen and asking what happened.
  8. BgThang

Yeah a true loss in society and the craft scene. He just closed on a new house. I feel bad for calling dibs on his cellar.
  9. crusian

It is a nice cellar... But yeah. Can't believe it.
  10. BgThang

as I posted on his FB page. I hope us beer geeks who knew him and his friends open all his beers in one big ass party to celebrate his life and passion for beer! had to edit as I am toasting walt with multiple Double troubles right now.
  11. blatherbeard

Just the other day we were joking about him being short.

How can i feel so sad about someone i never really knew?

I cant stop the flow of tears i feel now.

Post from Kristen..

Walt was one of my favorite cousins. I am just mind blown right now. As far as we know he just dropped. They are saying natural causes but an autopsy has been ordered. His parents will be heading for Austin in the morning. I will post funeral time, date & location as soon as I hear of them. Please keep his loved ones in your thoughts & prayers. And raise a glass for Walt.

As sad as i am, i can only imagine her loss.

Rip Walt.
  12. Dansk

Dansk Zealot (80) Texas Jan 10, 2013

wtf? RIP Walt.
  13. rdooley

rdooley Savant (335) Texas Feb 7, 2013

So sad, just ran into Walt Fri nt at Pinthouse. Much too young.

RIP
  14. wagenvolks

wagenvolks Advocate (655) Texas Sep 23, 2005

Such a sad day, we'll miss you Walt! Raising a glass tonight in your memory :(
  15. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

Very sorry to hear this. Condolences to his family and everyone on here that interacted with or knew him well. I never met him but from what I hear the man was a class act.

I'll raise my glass tomorrow at the Saucer for him.
    BgThang and wagenvolks like this.
  16. Super generous guy with a lot of things going for him. Really a sad story.
  17. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (390) Texas Jun 28, 2010

Dammit. Horrible, horrible news.
  18. ext1rpate

ext1rpate Aficionado (220) Texas Feb 21, 2011

I'm sitting here reading this thread and I still can't believe it. Such sad, sad news. Met him one time, but we got a long so well.

Wow.
  19. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

I only talked with Walt through BA... Wow... I'm in shock.

If there's any type of support or a cause for his family please pass along.

RIP Walt
  20. crusian

For those that didn't know Walt, he was the VP of operations for flix and homefield grill in round rock. Extremely generous, great advocate and a young 33. Great guy, he will be sorely missed.
  21. MiguelMandingo

MiguelMandingo Savant (305) Texas Jan 2, 2007

Walt came to the very first Austin BA tasting that Zack Pilgrim and I organized, and he was a huge catalyst in expanding my beer passion. He brought beers I had only read about, and couldn't even dream of having. He broke my Cantillon cherry with a Fou Foune. He was one of the most generous people in the beer scene. He will be missed. RIP Walt.
  22. johnsaulrubio

johnsaulrubio Savant (265) Texas Dec 2, 2006

Walt was one of the good ones. Generous, funny, and a great friend to lean on. I'm crushed.
  23. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

I just saw him a few days ago. Fuck fuck fuck.
  24. Ahaley

Ahaley Aficionado (120) Texas Dec 24, 2009

Wow. I am just in shock. We just had a few beers last week and were talking about the future. Wow. :-(
  25. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

What the fuck?!

Seriously, this man was one of the most generous people I've met in the craft beer scene. I'd post more, but I'm utterly shocked and truly saddened.
    OrgasmicChemist likes this.
  26. djd07

djd07 Aficionado (145) Texas Oct 3, 2012

Cant believe this. RIP Walt. You will truly be missed
  27. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

28. slander

slander Site Editor (580) New York Nov 5, 2001 Staff Member

Met him at BCTC a good few years back. Nice kid. Will hoist a sour one for him tonight...
    egajdzis likes this.
  29. classy.
  30. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Walt would always amaze me by pulling out awesome beers (most often of an older vintage... and he had some bottles that went waaay back) that I'd never had a chance to try before and him casually being like "oh, I've got like... 2 cases of this back at home". He always taught that shock, awe, and going over the top sharing with your friends was the only way to go.

I was on Honeymoon until Monday, but he was commenting on my photos from the trip and seemed so fucking excited about the new Des Moines location of Flix Brewhouse. A real real loss. I always felt like we had a very similar sense of humor (amongst other things) and he was always a delight to be around.

I can't really post on Facebook at work, but I see that there's a memorial page for him now on there where you can read lots of stories and comments from his (many) friends.

June 4th next year (and hopefully for years to come)... we're having the Walter Powell Memorial Bottle Share. Bring your most epic shit. Don't give a fuck if it's on a Wednesday! I know he'd just love to know that his friends are sharing beer in his remembrance.

Okay, getting bleary eyed at work... that's enough for today. I honestly didn't know the guy as well as half the other people I know did, but he just had that sort of impact on people. I'll be picking out a nice one when I get home.
    BottleCaps80, egajdzis and Clonies720 like this.
  31. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I'm sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to all of his friends and family.

I didn't know him, but as soon as Chad posted about this on FB I knew who he was talking about. I'd always see his posts and he seemed like a standup guy. Its a shame that the world had to lose one of the good ones.
    rainerschuhsler and mattisloco like this.
  32. omnigrits

omnigrits Savant (345) Texas Jun 1, 2006

That's desperately sad news, and so young. An enormous loss for his family, for Flix, and for the cause of good beer. He'll be missed by a great many people.
    kmello69 likes this.
  33. Show

Show Aficionado (235) Texas Jul 21, 2011

shattered...

Walt was a great guy! i will miss him.
  34. I didn't know Walt very well socially, but I had a lot of respect for him professionally.

The word 'passionate' has been used pretty frequently here. That's the word I would choose, too. And it was contageous. It was hard not to be excited about a particular beer or the industry as a whole after talking with him. Throuh his passion and generosity, he turned a lot of people on to craft beer.

This site was named after people like Walt.
    UT-Alex, mrkmrk, egajdzis and 12 others like this.
  35. BgThang

It was right after his cousin posted the information, and if you know/knew walt he likes to play pranks and jokes. SO it was submitted jokingly. Then after several more post came and several more minutes past it was obvious this wasnt a prank/joke. Life is too short and makes one ponder after a tragedy like this, should I even cellar beer, if I never get a chance to drink it?
  36. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (315) Texas Aug 22, 2012

I never got the chance to know Walt but I knew of him and all the great things he did for the beer community. My condolences to his friends and family. It's crazy to hear that he was only 33.

RIP Walt.
  37. hash_tagger

hash_tagger Aficionado (185) Texas Jan 18, 2013

Wow. Sad sad day. RIP Sir.
  38. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

39. bccocx

bccocx Advocate (685) Texas Jan 13, 2007

Walt was truly one of the best BAs around. I only met him once, but he was a stand up guy. He will be missed. RIP Walt
  40. wolffman17

wolffman17 Savant (395) Texas Jul 14, 2005

Sad to hear. Thoughts and prayers for his family and friends.