1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

River North Brewery Celebrates One Year

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Jason, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (1,300) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Denver, CO (Jan 2013) - As River North Brewery rapidly approaches one year of operation, Head Brewer Matt Hess has been harboring a dark secret, a concoction unlike any other the brewery has produced to date.

Clocking in at 12.5% ABV, the River North 1st Anniversary Imperial Stout is the brewery’s highest-gravity offering thus far. It will release Saturday, February 16th at 1pm to kick off the brewery’s first-anniversary party, when the brewery will open its barrel garden to the public. Both draft pours and bombers-to-go will be available.

This celebration represents the culmination of a productive first year for River North. Including the anniversary beer, the brewery released nine unique “mainline” ales this past year, in addition to seven barrel-aged varieties of those brews. Since acquiring its first two whiskey barrels in March, the barrel program has grown to include more than 30 whiskey, wine and rum barrels of varying brands.

Additionally, the brewery released weekly “Wayward” beers – experimental five-gallon variations on existing recipes – which allowed customers to taste how subtle changes in yeast or hops can add entirely new flavor profiles to a brew.

Aside from cranking out creative and unique beers, River North Brewery has cemented itself in Denver’s new beer district, RiNo, establishing close and personal relationships with local residents and businesses. In addition to promoting a “drink local” mentality, River North connects with customers through social media. The brewery hosted a Twitter contest where followers could submit suggestions for fermenter names, with the winning suggestions going on the tanks. The two winners: “Think Tank” and “The Louis Pasteur Cultural Events Center.”

About River North Brewery
    Matt and Jessica Hess opened River North Brewery in downtown Denver on February 18th, 2012. Matt, who walked away from his engineering job in the aerospace industry, heads the brewing operation and focuses on Belgian-style beers and Belgo-American hybrids. River North Brewery produced 295 barrels in 2012, a number expected to triple this year.

###
    chugalug06 likes this.
  2. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (315) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

Love River Norths BA brews. At their price I think they are one of the best values in town.
    Domingo, harperman69 and tacosandbeer like this.
  3. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Agreed. Those are terrific. I stopped in when they first opened and thought everything was a little bit "meh." However they have more than proven that experience was a fluke.
  4. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (610) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Congrats to River North, just saw their bottles show up on letspour.com, they must be ramping up production.
  5. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (610) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Anyone go to this on Sat? Just wondering what people thought of the 1st Anniversary Imperial Stout?
  6. I stopped in for a sample and to buy 2 bombers of the Anniversary Stout. I thought it was damn fine, chocolately, smooth and the 12.5% was very well hidden. Very, very good, IMO.
    Prospero likes this.
  7. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

Anyone know if the stout will hit shelves?
  8. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

9. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Who cares? Barrel Aged Avarice on draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaft
  10. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I visited River North two weekends ago, and really liked it. Of course the beer was delicious; lots of Belgian styles which I especially like. It was also a quiet, small, intimate tap room. Great view of the actual brewery. And the bartenders I had (on two different days) were very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. The one gal that worked there...I believe her name was Nikki? (spelled wrong, I'm sure) was awesome...I bet her and I could have talked about beer all day.

Happy anniversary, River North, hopefully we'll able to visit again soon.
  11. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (910) Colorado May 19, 2005

Just be coming around this week. Order put in, waiting on the beer fairies to deliver
  12. CK21

CK21 Aficionado (200) Colorado Feb 6, 2011

should hit shelves starting tomorrow in the $11.99/bottle range
    Prospero likes this.
  13. Bought one yesterday. Think it was $11.
    CK21 likes this.