1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Road trip to Florida!

Discussion in 'US - South' started by Stevedore, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Going to be taking a road trip with the family from Michigan down to Florida; 2 days of driving each way. So I'll be passing through Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia enroute to Florida. What suggestions do you BAs have for stops along the way, especially near Louisville, Nashville, Atlanta?

2. I'm in Lexington, KY so I would recommend Country Boy Brewing, West 6th Brewing for breweries and Shenanigan's/Beer Trappe for beer stores.

For Louisville I would recommend Holy Grale and Against the Grain (both have food, AtG also brews) and then Louisville Beer Store.

3. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Thanks, I'm going to plan on checking out either Holy Grale or Against the Grain while we're in Louisville. Anyone have suggestions for Atlanta and Nashville?

4. I'd pick Holy Grale first. It's more of a gastropub type.

5. GatorBeer

GatorBeer Savant (350) Florida Feb 2, 2010

If you're coming down I75, I'd recommend a quick stop by Swamp Head in Gainesville, FL. Taproom is open 4-8 Tu-Sa. You can literally see it off the interstate

6. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

Do they have a lot of bottles or just stuff on tap? Might stop by on my trip down to Tampa.

7. GatorBeer

GatorBeer Savant (350) Florida Feb 2, 2010

They only bottle special releases and there haven't been any of those for about a year. You can still find bottles of their Barleywine collab with Cigar City but those shops are a few miles in from I75

8. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

Damn. Ok.

I'm trying to get more bottles of other breweries besides Cigar City and Ballast Point when I go but it seems a lot of the Florida breweries are draft only or out of the way.

9. DavidDulock

DavidDulock Zealot (85) Georgia Dec 22, 2011

For Atlanta:
    Bars: Brickstore Pub, Porter Beer Bar, The Fred Bar
    BottleShops: Tower, Greene's (especially greene's on ponce-has a beer cellar section)