1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Road trip up PCH

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by DonSaleen747, Jan 24, 2013.

1. DonSaleen747

DonSaleen747 Member

Girlfriend and I are coming on in July to do a road trip from San Diego to San Fran area in early July. I want to know the good brewery tours and brew pubs along the way. I know we wont be able to hit them all, but as we are working out the timing/hotels I want to have the options in front of me. Off the top of my head I think of Stone in Escondido, Russian River, and Lagunitas. I have actaully been to Stone once before and was a big fan, she hasnt been so that is a must do but are the others worth checking out?

Coming from CT and doing all the other fun stuff along PCH so this is just an added bonus!
  2. mrcraft

mrcraft Member

I'd try to hit up Alpine near San Diego. It's even hard for Californians to get their hands on their tasty brews.

Beachwood BBQ in Long Beach or Seal Beach; very, very close to PCH near LA. Very good beer that's not really distributed outside the local area.

Those two are my suggestions.

After you pass Santa Barbara, I'm not sure if there any breweries until you get to SF along PCH.
  3. blguillen

blguillen Member

Firestone Walker! :)
    1424IpA likes this.
  4. mrcraft

mrcraft Member

That's true. I was in Paso Robles for a golf tournament. It's only a slight detour off the 1. If you have the chance, you may want to stay the night in Paso. There are one or two really nice boutique hotels, wineries, eateries, etc. Nice small town feel.
    Rollzroyce21, 1424IpA and blguillen like this.
  5. sandiego67

sandiego67 Member

All of the Pizza Ports are on the coast (Ocean Beach, Solana Beach, Carlsbad, San Clemente). Hitting one of those would be worth it.
  6. blguillen

blguillen Member

More (sorry, LOL,) Pizza Port in San Clemente (or even in Carlsbad) and Newport Beach Brew Co. Soo many options if you literally take PCH up and avoid some freeways.
  7. mjl21

mjl21 Member

RR and Lagunitas are not on PCH.
  8. sandiego67

sandiego67 Member

Neither are Stone and Alpine.
  9. mrcraft

mrcraft Member

I assumed OP and girlfriend are flying into San Diego and renting a car. If that's the case, I'd definitely try to visit Alpine while in San Diego.

Petaluma and Santa Rosa are not too far off the 1 either.
  10. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Member

All off the 1/101:

Telegraph in Santa Barbara
    Hollister in Goleta
    Firestone Walker in Buelton
    Tap It Brewing in San Luis Obispo

Having just done the drive from Monterey, I must say you're in for a visual treat. That stretch from Big Sur to Monterey is absolutely beautiful.
    blguillen likes this.
  11. drgarage

drgarage Member

Sante Adairius in Capitola.
    jtmartino and AptosBeerDrinker like this.
  12. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Member

Yeah, you can hit up Firestone Walker in Buelton. Which is probably the better option given their barrel aged taps.

It's well worth checking out Ladyface brewery, not off PCH, but damn near close.

Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach or Long Beach would also be note worthy.
  13. 1424IpA

1424IpA Member

Pizza port in sd, alpine in sd, stone in sd, beachwood bbq in long beach, firestone in paso robles, 21st amendment in san fran, lugunitas, russian river and bear republic are all must do while in california.
  14. womencantsail

womencantsail Member

If you're willing to venture a little more inland to 101 from time to time, you will find a lot more places and probably some better stops.

I'll just deal with the places north of San Diego and LA proper as they've been covered for the most part. From South to North on 101, I've been to (or will have been to in the next month).

Ladyface (Agoura Hills)
    Anacapa (Ventura)
    Surf (Ventura)
    Island (Carpenteria)
    Santa Barbara Brewing Co.
    The Brewhouse (Santa Barbara)
    Hollister (Santa Barbara/Goleta)
    Figueroa Mountain Brewing (Buellton)
    Solvang Brewing (Solvang)
    Firestone (Either in Buellton or Paso)
    Pismo Brewing (Pismo Beach)
    SLO Brewing (San Luis Obispo)
    Central Coast (SLO)
    Creekside (SLO)
    Tap It (SLO)
    Monterrey Coast (Salinas)
    El Toro (Morgan Hill)
    Sante Adarius (Capitola)
    Seabright (Santa Cruz)
    Surfrider Cafe/Boulder Creek (Santa Cruz)

Haven't been there, but there's also Telegraph (Santa Barbara), Cambria Brewing right on the coast, Dunbar Brewing (Santa Margarita), Santa Maria Brewing, and a couple in Monterey (though I think Cannery row is all rebadges).

I think there are a couple new places opening up along the way: Molly Pitcher and Paso Robles Brewing are on the way up to the Bay Area and there's some new places on the way up to Sonoma like 101 North Brewing in Petaluma.

Once you get into San Francisco, there are a ton of beer places to go. There are already dozens of threads on those places, though, so I'll let you browse those.
    tjensen3618 likes this.
  15. DonSaleen747

DonSaleen747 Member

Thanks for the tips so far. I should have clarified but the plan is to fly into San Diego rent a car to get to San Fransico. We have about 7 days to do it so making stops along the way or out of the way is the plan. I don't mind driving a ways off PCH to find the good places and then plan the hotels accordingly. I was just using that as my point of reference since that is the main road we want to follow up the coast.

If there is anything else you guys suggest that might be off of PCH but within a days trip that would be great.

I know Sierra Nevada is out there but seems to be the farthest out of my current planned route. Is it worth it to go see if we have time or not worth the time spent going that far out of the way?
  16. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Member

Once after you hit Huntington Beach on PCH, you'll hit this little beach town called Sunset Beach.
    Make a U-turn on Admiraly St. to pull up into a place called Brix Brews & NY Deli.
    One of the best tap lists you'll find in OC and LA area and the best pastrami sandwich I've ever had. Other foods and wines here are great as well.

Edit: Just little drive up further is Seal Beach, where you'll find the original Beachwood BBQ off Main St.. Be aware, this place can get very crowded.
  17. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

Easy to do since it's so small.
    Rollzroyce21 likes this.
  18. dcgunman

dcgunman Member

Pizza Port Ocean Beach
    Pizza Port Oceanside
    Pizza Port San Clemente
    Beachwood BBQ Seal Beach
    Beachwood BBQ Long Beach
    Naja's in Redondo Beach
    El Segundo Brewing Co
    Ladyface Alehouse in Agoura Hills (right off the 101)
    Figuerora Brewing Co
    Firestone Walker
    . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . .
  19. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Member

Once you pass San Luis Obispo there isn't much in the way of breweries, but it will be the best leg of your trip guaranteed. Stop off in Cambria for lunch, a beer at Cambria Brewing, and check out the town. Then enjoy the drive on Hwy 1 up to Monterey, it's the most amazing drive I've ever taken.
  20. 4kbrianb

4kbrianb Member

Everyone already mentioned most of the options I was going to mention. If you have times, which it sounds like you do, and you are able to go a little bit off of PCH, obviously check out The Bruery. You can take the 55 from the 1 to help you cut east over to them. You have insane #'s of options within SD County, and LA county of course. Paso and FW is a must hit in my opinion. Pase Robles is a rad place in general. If you stop in Long Beach or Seal Beach I reccomend some wings at legends in Long Beach on 2nd street. my favorite wings around.

Also, Solvange Brewing is awesome because Solvang is pretty awesome.

Someone already mentioned it, but the stretch of PCH along Big Sur coast is probably one of the best stretches of coast line this state can offer. Take your time, pull off the side of the road, and take it in. Take a picture in front of some redwoods while you are there. the beer along the coast is amazing, but some of the adventures you will find while preparing for your next beer will be epic!
    dcgunman likes this.
  21. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Member

There are actually two potential beer stops in Big Sur that not many people know about. One is Big Sur Taphouse which has 5 or so taps of decent stuff and the other is Maiden Publick House which is a great little spot right next to Big Sur River Inn. It has a handful of taps and some bottles too.
    4kbrianb likes this.