1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Road Trip

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HevvyMetalHippie, Dec 31, 2012.

1. So Im headed to Birmingham, AL at the end of this week to catch the Alabama/Notre Dame game and then driving up the east coast back to Boston with a buddy of mine and his new car.

I want to hit up some cool breweries on the way, but my friend also isnt into beer as much as I am. Does anyone have suggestions of bottle shops/breweries/brew pubs?

I know Alabama is a black hole of beer (doesnt the ATF raid their home brew stores or something?) but I think we're going to go to Atlanta first, and then I want to see about hitting Savannah, and head north to Charleston?

We have from the 4th of Jan to the 13th to make it back to Boston and as much as I'd love to zig zag everywhere I don't think we'll be able to do that.

I know we're hitting up DC, Philly, NYC and then back here, and I also don't want to drag my buddy all over the place.

BeerAdvocates assemble! Does anyone have any suggestions of places to go? Thanks!
    Stinger80OH likes this.
  2. HevvyMetalHippie likes this.
  3. I'm not sure. I was only there for a beer or two this past summer before we had to be somewhere. I know they do sell their stuff in package stores, and I believe Highland Package is probably one of the better stores in the city. I've heard Snake Handler doesn't stay on the shelf for long. They also just opened a Hop City somewhere in the city, it was the store that the Feds raided for homebrew supplies.

I haven't lived there since they "freed the hops" back in 2008 or 2009, so my knowledge is fairly limited.
  4. I also want to check out that Moon River brewery in Savannah, I heard the beers were okay and its supposed to be an old spooky/haunted brewery.

Other than that I don't know what else to check out while Im down there.
  5. Rai

Rai Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2012

Moon River has solid beer but nothing to rave about...but the space is amazing with really cool art. Enjoy your time there, you can take your beer to go and hit the streets ;)
  6. Yeah I posted a thread about Moon River awhile ago, but I really just want to go to Savannah cause it sounds like a cool place and lots of history. Plus if I can go to a brewery that's in an awesome building...why not?

What else should I check out along the way? My tasting group had Mexican Cake from Westbrook (phenomenal) out of a Greenville Beer Exchange growler...so I had briefly thought about that too
  7. Stop off in Asheville at one of the many breweries there.
    youbrewidrink likes this.
  8. Might be too far inland? Then again Im not sure what the route is that we're taking yet :\
  9. Rai

Rai Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2012

I'm an Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan expert. I've only been to Savannah a few times and I went there for the food and not the beer. So, I suggest you check out the Crab Shack...good food and local beer selection. They also have a World of Beer but it is a franchise beer spot. Not to say it's bad. Last place I suggest is The Distillery
  10. dcbdc1

dcbdc1 Aficionado (205) Virginia Jun 23, 2012

Here are a few ideas, based on your potential itinerary:

1. Charleston -- Westbrook (actually in Mt. Pleasant, but essentially a Charleston suburb)

2. Alexandria (VA) -- Port City (right off I-95, just outside DC)

3. DC -- DC Brau (in the northeast "quadrant" of the city)

4. Philly -- depending on your route, b/c both of these are in the western suburbs: (a) Victory (in Downington); and (b) Troegs (in Hershey, which really isn't a Philly suburb).

Hope this helps. Enjoy the trip and be safe.
    HevvyMetalHippie likes this.
  11. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

If you are inclined (and you should be) to follow dcbdc1's advice, and have the time, shoot up Rte. 15 from Harrisburg and hit Selins' Grove Brewing in Selinsgrove. Slightly off your route, but not too far from the I80-I81 interchange. The best room I've ever drank in, very good food, great beer. An absolute must hit if your schedule allows.
  12. Googlemaps from Boston to Birmingham takes I-81 Right through Harrisburg. Stopping at good brewpubs along the way on this route will probably equate with the time you would spend sitting on I-95 in traffic anyway. Selinsgrove(about 40-60 min off I-81) is a very good brewpub. Troegs is my absolute favorite brewery (10-20 min off I-81) and has a food menu-but has a few bugs to work out brewpub-wise.
    beertunes likes this.
  13. I'm late to this conversation. Am I missing something? Stop at Dogfish Head.
    huysmans and HevvyMetalHippie like this.
  14. Although DFH is probably a great place, beer wise I would rather some of the other recommendations such as Westbrook, Selins Grove, DC Brau, etc. I have only had DC Brau out of those and have heard great things about the others, and they are not available in Boston where the OP is from. Definitely go to DC Brau and drink the hell out of On the Wings of Armageddon.
    HevvyMetalHippie likes this.
  15. Selingsgrove is way off the 95 cooridor. I've been there. If you have the time its nice country! Try Starr Hill just West of Richmond.

16. Armageddon is awesome, I had it at ACBF and the pre-party at Meadhall. Hoping to get there for sure. I guess I was more curious about southern breweries...Westbrook for sure, and then the one in Birmingham.
  17. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

I would avoid the coastal states on one leg of that trip and shoot up (or down) the gut and into America's heartland, visiting Yazoo in Nashville, Against the Grain in Louisville, Columbus Brewing in Columbus, Fat Head's and Great Lakes in Cleveland, Southern Tier in Lakewood NY....all of these would be along I-65, I-71 and I-90 and only a few minutes off the highway for each of them...

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...iTGg6GIBJL98eA;;;;;;;;;&oq=bir&t=h&mra=ls&z=6
  18. Bier Baron and Churchkey in DuPont Circle area of DC. Both have 500+ beers, but Bier Baron is usually less crowded and a tad cheaper. These are the places that got me to fall in love with craft and foreign beers
    Sludgeman likes this.
  19. Also, bier baron has some BMC selections as well for your friend who's not too into beer